• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD makes so many things seem irrelevant

mw2530

I've noticed that the reason I do not care about so many things in the world is because it all seems so meaningless when you struggle so mightily to do basic things like communicating and connecting with others. I'm not sure that there is an NT out there that does not take these skills for granted. It is similar to being born with eyesight. Is a person really ever that grateful that they can see. Sure we all are, but we don't really think about it except maybe if we encounter a person that cannot see. So many things just seem so trivial in the world. The worst is when people complain about trivial things. I just want to laugh at them and say you don't have a clue of what it means to truly struggle. Sure, lots of people have problems that are not trivial as well.
For example, some people in America seem to be obsessed with driving around the nicest car. Or the largest, most powerful truck even though they have no practical use for it. All these status symbols. I just hate it. Part of the reason is I just think about how hard I work for my money and why would I throw it away at something so trivial. I do have a fairly new car, but it is pretty economical. And I see a great value in driving a car that is reliable. But do I want heated seats? Now that just seems so irrelevant when I struggle to feel comfortable being myself in this world for even one day.

I'm sure all of you have heard the phrase "rich people problems" or "first world problems" when shining light on the petty problems that some people seem to complain about. Some days, I'd like to rephrase it to be "NT problems".

I know what you mean. That's why I feel blessed to be able to retreat into the Gospels where I can find meaning and also find someone like Jesus Christ who understands me and eases my burdens instead of adding to them.

Ha, heated seats. Because God forbid someone be slightly uncomfortable until their ass warms their seat up.

The car I bought recently has heated seats. I didn't think much of it since I have never cared much for the extra stuff on a car. I wanted a reliable sturdy vehicle so that is what I bought. But now that I have heated seats I don't ever want to live without that luxury. My butt has never felt more luscious than when my seat warmer gets it all toasty. I hardly ever need to run the heat anymore. I just flip the switch and warm up from the butt side out.

Ya know! Speaking of heated seats. I remember at this high-end ski resort up in Idaho, They installed these electrically heated seats on the chairlifts as a luxury item for their guest. Turns out this was not such a great idea and that this ended in disaster. The way these things worked was the electrical circuit would only connect to the chair when it was at the bottom of the lift in the loading bay. Once it left the bay, the circuit would break and the seat would start to cool down as the chair ascended up the mountain. Well it turns out that the snow that melted on the seat would freeze by the time the chair got to the top of the mountain and guests were frozen to their seats. They only ran it for about 2 weeks before shutting it down for good. It cost the resort about $700K to install these things.

One thing I really agree with @mw2530 about is the way so many people get caught up in status symbols: what Thorsten Veblen called “conspicuous consumption.”

This has never interested me at all. I would like to be comfortable, and have the things I need, but useless stuff to “impress the neighbors” is ridiculous.

One thing I really agree with @mw2530 about is the way so many people get caught up in status symbols: what Thorsten Veblen called “conspicuous consumption.”

This has never interested me at all. I would like to be comfortable, and have the things I need, but useless stuff to “impress the neighbors” is ridiculous.

I wonder if being an Aspie makes us not care for such things. After all, it is a social thing.

I agree OP, I laugh at some of the stuff people get "worried" about.
eg: Their keyboard is malfunctioning. Two letters won't type. They have already ordered a new keyboard, before the old keyboard malfunctioned, presumably , well because. The text is still readable, and the new board is going to arrive in a day or two. But she posts about how terrible it is, and a horde of people chime in and commiserate with her. My reply? "First world problems!"

KISS is the way to go for me.
I like to be comfortable as much as the next person,
but, things to just make you feel more elite than the neighbors or people you meet?
Don't see it.

Keeping it simple allows for more time to relax and just be.
I enjoy my computer time and a TV occasionally.
The rest of the new tech I don't care about.
If you like gaming and smart phones, fine.
Just not my style.

I don't eat a lot nor keep up with the latest fashions.
Don't want a large house that amounts to more work than
enjoyment.
I drive a Jeep SUV. Sensible.

These gimicky luxury extras are part of a business plan or marketing strategy - the technology is there, but rather than introduce it all at once, the introduce it in installments or updates, with each model having one extra thing that people just HAVE to have. Also, price of the higher end models is not in proportion to the gain you get, so not good value for money. I try to hit that sweet spot between good value to money and a little bit of extra comfort or convenience. Take mobile phones for example, I buy a good middle range model, and keep it for over five years or until it breaks, I refuse to do this thing of buying a new one every year just to have the latest feature that a new model has - buying a whole new phone just for one new or two features, or swapping a perfectly good phone just to impress with the latest model or just because everyone else is buying it is not for me. My existing phone is not redundant just because a new model came out.

Autistic people can stress over very trivial things as well. In the end all you have is human beings, with flaws both NT and ASD. Nobodies perfect. Its debatable, because of human complexity, whether anyone is actually 'normal'.

Autistic people can stress over very trivial things as well. In the end all you have is human beings, with flaws both NT and ASD.

Yep. Anyone can have comorbids like OCD that makes even the most benign things difficult at times.

The thing is that people in general have their interests and have subjects that they love to obsess over whether they're NT or not. It might not seem important to you, but to someone who really loves cars and likes to work on them and drive them for fun, that can be important for them.

Not that I like cars. I hate driving. xD

But I think most people like some things that aren't directly related to survival or function. Whether its a hobby, a collection, some way to pass the time or just feel good. Its why it's wrong to judge poor people for getting their nails done or getting a new phone. Everyone craves at least something frivolous.

Would you tell an autistic person to throw away their special interest? Why do that to an NT?

The car I bought recently has heated seats. I didn't think much of it since I have never cared much for the extra stuff on a car. I wanted a reliable sturdy vehicle so that is what I bought. But now that I have heated seats I don't ever want to live without that luxury. My butt has never felt more luscious than when my seat warmer gets it all toasty. I hardly ever need to run the heat anymore. I just flip the switch and warm up from the butt side out.

That is an excellent point. I had never thought of doing that, it sounds heavenly, actually. So after chewing on it for a little bit, I'd like to flip-flop on my opinion. Now I want heated seats.

This is what I like about this site; the dissenting opinions weren't "NUH UH ur dumb", they were well-thought-out points that have actually convinced me to change my opinion. Thanks everyone who posted about heated seats :)

I bought a Honda Fit about 1 & 1/2 years ago because it was so practical and economical (I tend towards this). After a year and a half of riding in it , my housemate and I who do most things together decided that it was just so downright uncomfortable to ride in that we were reluctant to take road trips (which we could do since we are both retired). So, very reluctantly I decided to buy another new car and trade in the Fit. Well, we bought a new Hyundai Sonata with so many safety & comfort features it makes your head spin. Plus it's my first ever midsized car so it's unbelievably quiet and comfortable and smooth. We are in heaven and my car payments are only $21 more per month then they were with the Fit. Since they fit into my monthly budget/income no worries there. So, never say never? (And it has heated seats too).

New Threads

Top Bottom