• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD in an professional athlete?

Dadamen

The athlete at who I suspect that he might have ASD is Istok Rodeš, a Croatian skier. Symptoms that I have noticed are the following:
- No facial expressions at all
- Monotonous tone of voice
- Looks like avoiding eye contact
- Rigid routines (said he goes to bed at 9 o clock, New Year is not an exception)
- After his friend from junior years finished third and he finished 25th he looked jealous to him and became very high handed, he said he will win a podium "in next few weeks" although he was never close to it.
- My father said he is "autistic" and he never noticed that I am autistic
Is it possible that he has Asperger's despite being a professional athlete?

I don't think there's enough information here to even speculate such a thing.

However that said, I don't see why someone on the spectrum cannot be a professional athlete. Particularly if it involves various Olympic sports that are conducted on a solitary basis where social/athletic interactions may be limited.

Last edited:
If I was to pick a professional athlete that I think is on the spectrum, my pick would be Kawhi Leonard, an American basketball player.

* Usually quiet
* Keeps calm under virtually all situations
* Unusual speech and seems uncomfortable during interviews
* Neutral expression, rarely laughs, and laugh is well regarded as unorthodox

Yes, skiing is an individual sport and dosen't require social contact, so it can be good for people with ASD if one is not afraid of speed and heights, I didn't enjoy sledging as a child because I was afraid of speed and heights. So skiing no way.

Absolutely possible. In fact, I would double-down on that statement and suggest that any competitive, non-team sport, will likely have participants "on the spectrum". I competed at the national level in powerlifting during the early 2000s, set 11 US national records in two different weight classes. I was extremely focused, had a set routine, kept detailed records of every single rep, set, lift, and weight I ever did. I was so used to pushing aside my sensory issues and physical pain that my nervous system had an extremely high threshold. Things that would cause people excruciating pain,...I could literally sleep though,...as if it weren't even there. I could also severely and permanently hurt myself,...and have it actually feel better after the injury,...which I did,...which I am paying for now on a daily basis.

Being a "gym rat" for many years,...I could also say that there is a high likelihood of ASD participants in other forms of competitive bodybuilding, weightlifting, and strength competitions. In my experience, the serious competitors are the ones sitting in the corner between sets, with a hood over their heads, noting in their log book,...making a concerted effort NOT to interact with others in the gym,...that has got ASD written all over it. These people are very short with their conversation, and in general, make a point that you are interrupting their train of thought. In general,...just like me.:D;)

@Neonatal RRT if you set US national records in weightlifting, have you ever been on the olympic games? And I agree that ASD discipline might be good in sport. Someone once said that a Portugese footballer Ricardo Quaresma was greater talent than best of all times Cristiano Ronaldo, but he lacked discipline and enjoyed drinking and wasn't that succesful.

@Dadamen: Powerlifting is different than Olympic weightlifting. There are 3 competition lifts in powerlifting, the squat (different technique than the Olympic-style squat), bench press, and deadlift. There are 2 competition lifts in Olympic weightlifting, the snatch, and the clean and jerk. Olympic competitors are separated by weight class and gender. Powerlifting is separated by weight class, gender, age group, and either "raw" (no or limited assistance gear,...wrist straps, belt, etc.) or "geared" (safety/assistance gear,...bench shirt, full knee wraps, etc.), and some organizations will have "tested" and "non-tested" (performance enhancing drug) competitors. Olympic competitors are routinely tested for PEDs, and are generally the best, regardless of age,...but generally younger. Powerlifters, because of the separated age groups, can compete from childhood to well into their 80's,...so, there is something for everyone. I didn't start competing until I was in my mid-late 30's,...so NO, I was not an Olympic competitor. If you're curious:

Last edited:
@Dadamen: Powerlifting is different than Olympic weightlifting. There are 3 competition lifts in powerlifting, the squat (different technique than the Olympic-style squat), bench press, and deadlift. There are 2 competition lifts in Olympic weightlifting, the snatch, and the clean and jerk. Olympic competitors are separated by weight class and gender. Powerlifting is separated by weight class, gender, age group, and either "raw" (no or limited assistance gear,...wrist straps, belt, etc.) or "geared" (safety/assistance gear,...bench shirt, full knee wraps, etc.), and some organizations will have "tested" and "non-tested" (performance enhancing drug) competitors. Olympic competitors are routinely tested for PEDs, and are generally the best, regardless of age,...but generally younger. Powerlifters, because of the separated age groups, can compete from childhood to well into their 80's,...so, there is something for everyone. I didn't start competing until I was in my mid-late 30's,...so NO, I was not an Olympic competitor. If you're curious:
Interesting to hear these things. I have sometimes watched "strongman" competition on TV, but never seen powerlifting.

New Threads

Top Bottom