• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASAN ends partnership w/ Sesame Street

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
ASAN Has Ended Partnership With Sesame Street

---
"The Autistic Self Advocacy Network condemns Sesame Street’s decision to further stigma against autistic children and adults in their new Public Service Announcements.

For several years, ASAN consulted with Sesame Street on their See Amazing project and the development of their autistic character, Julia. Until this summer, the content Sesame Street produced showed parents that their autistic children could live great lives, and taught autistic and neurotypical children ways to become friends. Through this approach, See Amazing successfully encouraged the inclusion of autistic children in their communities, and had a widespread positive impact.

Sesame Street has now decided to undo that progress. Its latest PSAs featuring Julia promote Autism Speaks’ “Screen for Autism” initiative and their resource for parents of newly-diagnosed autistic children, the 100 Day Kit. Like much of Autism Speaks’ recent advertising, these PSAs use the language of acceptance and understanding to push resources that further stigma and treat autistic people as burdens on our families. The 100 Day Kit encourages parents to blame family difficulties on their autistic child (“When you find yourself arguing with your spouse… be careful not to get mad at each other when it really is the autism that has you so upset and angry”) and to view autism as a terrible disease from which their child can “get better.” It recommends compliance-based “therapies” and pseudoscientific “autism diets,” but fails to educate families about communication supports. It even instructs parents to go through the five stages of grief after learning that their child is autistic, as they would if the child had died.

We discussed with Sesame Street, repeatedly and in great detail, what this decision would mean for the autistic community. We explained to them how these ideas harm autistic children and our families, and reinforce societal prejudice against autistic people. Our contacts acknowledged that the Autism Speaks resources were harmful and portrayed autistic children in a negative light — yet they were unwilling to reverse course in their plans to promote them. As a result, we have formally ended our partnership with Sesame Street.

Too often, parents of autistic children are bombarded with terrifying messages. They are told that their autistic child will destroy their marriage and their nondisabled children’s lives. They are told that their child’s happiness — and their own — depends on the child “getting better” by hiding their autistic traits, and to work toward this goal above all else. They are told to grieve for the hypothetical nondisabled child they had imagined, rather than to love and connect to the autistic child in front of them. These messages hurt autistic people, scare our families, and encourage our communities to fear and exclude us. Autism Speaks has played a central role in developing them.

The See Amazing initiative was groundbreaking because it offered an alternative to these stories. It let families know that their autistic children are amazing, can live happy lives, and are deserving of love. Now, Sesame Street has decided to let See Amazing become just another vehicle for Autism Speaks to spread the same old toxic ideas.

Decision-makers at Sesame Street understand the position they are in. For fifty years, Sesame Street has created content with the explicit goal of impacting the real lives of children and families. It is too late to pretend that Sesame Street can amplify harmful messages without causing harm. We call on Sesame Street to recognize the damage they are doing, end their partnership with Autism Speaks, and commit to producing and promoting only content which increases the inclusion, acceptance and well-being of autistic children."

Just goes to prove truth is always more outrageous than fiction. I do wonder whether money has crept it's way in.

Yes it has. I imagine their "cure" means lots of drugs to deal with it. Meaning insurance money from companies or the parents themselves. To pay the ridiculous prices. As they destroy any alternative solutions or help. Truth be told that kind of lieing garbage their pushing. Will likely have a more severe impact. Once again they utilize the disability to acquire money not help anyone.

This is really bad. I used to hope that the divide between ASAN and Autism Speaks might eventually wane. Clearly this is not the case. Leaving the neurological divide as wide as ever. :(

That Autism Speaks continues to operate only on behalf of the interest of Neurotypical parents and their corporate sponsors rather than the real interest of their autistic children.

Leaving all autistic people "out in the cold", rather than just we autistic kids who grew up to become autistic adults. One step forward, two steps backwards. :oops:

Sesame Street was one of my favorite shows growing up. I enjoyed it even as a teenager and most of my young adult years, but now, like everything else in the world, it sucks. I had mixed feelings about Julia before but after reading this I want her to die along with Elmo.

Of course I *really* want Autism $peaks to die, but like that's gonna happen. They've brainwashed panicky parents and idiot politicians. Well, it's kind of hard to brainwash someone who doesn't even have a brain.:rolleyes:

Everything I loved when I was young sucks now. Disney sucks. Sesame Street sucks. Comic strips suck. The Simpsons suck. My Little Pony... okay, there's one exception. And cats have always been awesome. And I have enjoyed some modern Disney and Pixar movies like Wreck-it-Ralph and Inside Out. But that doesn't make up for the suckiness that dominates the planet now.

That Autism Speaks continues to operate only on behalf of the interest of Neurotypical parents and their corporate sponsors rather than the real interest of their autistic children.

They’re chasing the money.

If anybody cares to sign the petition...

Signez la pétition

When I created my AutismForums account, I created a new email account for it. For two years, I've had nothing but AutismForum updates on that account.

I signed the petition on Change.org less than two hours ago, and used that email. Now I have 3 ad emails in that account. That's the last time I sign anything on Change.org.

Last edited:
When I created my AutismForums account, I create a new email account for it...
I created a junk mail account for contests & surveys. Where my main accounts filter using a blacklist strategy, my junk mail uses a whitelist.

I have different addresses for different subjects,
  • personal contacts
  • personal finance
  • business contacts
  • business finance
  • figurative arts
  • neuro-diversity
  • STEM
  • job search
  • neuro-diverse job search &
  • junk mail

Last edited:
When I created my AutismForums account, I create a new email account for it. For two years, I've had nothing but AutismForum updates on that account.

I signed the petition on Change.org less than two hours ago, and used that email. Now I have 3 ad emails in that account. That's the last time I sign anything on Change.org.

Funnily enough, this was the first time I signed a change.org petition with my Autistamatic email address, and no adverts at all. Not a dickybird. I do get the occasional email from them about petitions "that might interest me" on my other regular email, but I've just muted them.

Funnily enough, this was the first time I signed a change.org petition with my Autistamatic email address, and no adverts at all. Not a dickybird. I do get the occasional email from them about petitions "that might interest me" on my other regular email, but I've just muted them.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. I mean, I'm always paranoid, but maybe too paranoid this time.

One of my innate talents is seeing connections that no one else sees. One of my innate weaknesses is seeing connections that don't exist.

I have different addresses for different subjects,

< Impressive list follows.>

Wow! I only got as far as one for regular stuff and one for autism stuff. Oh, and an account I never use that I got free forever for taking a university class.

Last edited:
ASAN Has Ended Partnership With Sesame Street

---
"Too often, parents of autistic children are bombarded with terrifying messages. They are told that their autistic child will destroy their marriage and their nondisabled children’s lives.
"
In my case, my sister is probably and undiagnosed case of borderline personality disorder. Volatile relationships. Lots of inappropriate sex and drugs. Running away again and again. Multiple suicide attempts, sometimes over trivial matters like when my mother stopped doing her laundry when she was in her thirties. Blackmailed my parents into cutting me out of the will.

So a kid with Aspbergers? Not a big problem for them. (Though it was easy to neglect me in favor of my sister, push me to my very NPD grandmother, etc.)

That whole "Autism destroying marriages" crap is an absolute load of BS, especially considering that My parents have been happily married for about 25 years. Sorry, when I hear that, even if it’s briefly mentioned in an article, I tend to focus on it.

New Threads

Top Bottom