• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AS and NT in music

The mighty Boosh

Hey guys just wanted some opinions.

I caught the end of a conversation about musicians with cognitive diffrences (wide range) and what they bring to a band\music.
Going back awhile I was in a band with two blokes who had psycosis. While the one would come up with some brillient lyrics\songs he'd be all over the place and would never settle on one tune for more then half an hour (one of the reasson i left)

personally I prefer playing in the rhythm section (bass, drums) tho I'd be intrested if any of you enjoy singing or lead guitar. Tho the reasson I'm posting is to pick your brain about what having a mix of cognitive diversity bring to music and the pros\cons

While I'm here do you know of any bands that have any members with AS ? I've heard a few that have someone with down syndrome and maybe a few with bi-polor (tho that would cover most singers\guitarists;))

Some musicians and singers who have officially been diagnosed with Asperger's include James Taylor, Adam Young of Owl City, Craig Nicholls of The Vines, Travis Meeks of Days of the New, and “Cars” singer Gary Numan. “Saturday Night Live” veteran Dan Aykroyd has been diagnosed with a mild form of Asperger's.

Celebrities Who (Probably) Have Asperger's Syndrome

Enjoy singing and my spouse is a lead guitarist. Music has been an extremely important part of both our lives, more so my husbands, who plays all the time.

Always thought the Proclaimers were HFA, there's an intensity there, and perfect pitch even, and not a wrong note played. In order for them to sing a consonant to dissonant note when they play, they have to alter the proper note, and drop it down a half tone, and then harmonize that half tone. Something that someone with a good ear and lots of experience can do. Probably why I like them. Other's like Michael Jackson, Susan Boyle, Elvis Costello, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, and even Mozart were said to have autism.

Last edited:
@WereBear Just had a look and it's suprising how many singers are on your list and not staying more to the background - or do singers just stick out more ?

@Mia You seem to have a better understanding of music theory then me and glad you guys found something.

What about Ian curtis - joy division, Mark Hoppus - Blink 182, kurt Cobain - Nirvana, Brian Molko - Placebo
Ian just seemed to let the band do what they wanted and moved lyrics around while Kurt was known to be overly controlling. Mark I'm not sure, seems a soft soul who has alot of relationship issues\Broken home. As for Brian something seems very special about thair music tho I maybe biased :rolleyes:

@Judge I think we can all agree that Dan Aykroyd is a bloody legand :snowman: < We need a ghost emoji

Well tried a ghost emoji:

Did not work...

And we may be Aspies but we are all still people, of course :)

Diagnosis from the outside, at a distance or even posthumously is notoriously unreliable, so much so as to essentially be worthless. "So and so" is said to be autistic might trace back to a troll on 4chan. Even professionals can't do it from a distance. In one test something like 30 shrinks were assigned to diagnose Vincent Van Gogh and came up with 25 different diagnoses.

Sorry Guess I let the topic slip or on diffrent pages (Have trouble communicating in writing)

wasn't trying to focus on aspies but cognitive diffrences and how it alters music or even films. Guessing it's a difficult question to ask but sometimes you can spot little things. Thank you tho guys for reminding me not to try and pigeon hole everything.

@WereBear Did you not like my ghost :( and of course we're all diffrent, that's why it's so confusing sometimes :confused: I was always told my personality comes from my dad who I never really talked to so guess it's intresting to look for similarities in others. It's nice that people on here seem very open and funny when we have communication breakdowns :D

@Tom we've got alot of drs and nurses in the family and I couldn't agree more with you. Even tho I'm diagnosed I still don't believe it most of the time. It's strange to think modern mental health has only been around for the last 70-40 years.
I can't remember what they called it but something along the lines of patients against psychologists movement. Where they planted "normal" patients in mental health wards and most where written up as having problems. It's mostly all guess wor, Mix that with the blue\brown eyes experiment and you start seeing the problems.

(not arguing, just thought you'd find it intresting :))

Just to finish this post off rather then making another thread.

Just started with a new band and wondering if a groove bassist (simple) can work with a techical drummer (complicated) honestly he's a little intimidating to play with :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom