• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

As a woman with Aspergers, I can’t be stereotyped by anyone

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

tamsin_feature.jpg

Filmmaker Tamsin Parker

“As someone with Aspergers, I can’t be stereotyped by anyone.”

This is the opening message delivered by filmmaker and animator Tamsin Parker in her short film, Force of Habit.

Ms Parker is challenging the perceptions of women with autism in a production she hopes will make others on the spectrum more visible.

Force of Habit was shortlisted in the Student Category at the Autism Uncut film and media awards in April.

Ms Parker begins her film with an unequivocal message. “This is who I am.”

Why we need to lose the stereotypes around autism

The 24-year-old is anything but the stereotypes often ascribed to people who are on the autistic spectrum. “Most assume those with Aspergers to be quiet, unassuming and analytical,” she says.

“I, on the other hand, am boisterous, loud, impetuous, friendly, talkative and outspoken.”

Asperger syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder that affects a person’s social interaction, skills and communication with others. Some people with Aspergers may find it hard to understand other people’s emotions and feelings.

One in 100 people in the UK is thought to have an autism spectrum disorder.

Force of Habit explores why Ms Parker, from north-west London, identifies so strongly with Tuco Ramirez, a character in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and how she discovered herself through the fictional Mexican outlaw.

Ms Parker’s favourite film genre is the spaghetti western, not least because of how often characters are shown kicking in saloon doors.

“It’s a habit of mine, to kick in doors,” she told i. “I think I’ve been doing it since sixth form.”

It is an incident in a church involving a kicked door and an angry parent who would not accept Ms Parker’s apology which became the impetus for her film.

Force of Habit took one month to make, a period Ms Parker largely devoted to developing the animations and Photoshop paintings within it.

Ms Parker says she expresses herself through Tuco, a character she considers highly flawed and misunderstood – but ultimately a tower of strength. “When I first watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly I looked at him and I saw myself reflected in him. He was lively, he was goofy, he was charming – if dangerous. He made mistakes. He is a goofball and a clutz, but he is strong and determined.”

I’ve always found it easy to be myself

Ms Parker is proudly outspoken. “I’m very outgoing and I love talking to people even though I keep to myself a lot as well.”

At secondary school, she was often on her own. “But I wasn’t ashamed of being myself.”

“People gave me a hard time, at least in the first year at secondary school because I was one of the first autistic people there, but I’ve always found it easy to be myself.

“I’m very sociable in public situations and when I’m at parties and get-togethers – although I do occasionally get tired of other people. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with them, it’s just that I can’t bear the conversations or the laughing and shouting sometimes.”

Autism in women is underdiagnosed and many women are in their twenties and thirties before being diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum. A 2012 survey found only eight per cent of women had been diagnosed with Aspergers by the age of six. Ms Parker says she was lucky because she was diagnosed with Aspergers aged nine.

“As a child, I was often in my own world,” she says. “I couldn’t stand certain noises or certain sensations and I liked things a certain way. I had the usual echolalia in my early years. I would repeat other people’s words or sentences. It probably helped that I was a very early reader.

“I didn’t know for a long time about the lack of women, or the small amount of women, who are diagnosed with Aspergers. But I did have only one or two female friends on the autistic spectrum. My friends were mostly male.”

Ms Parker’s ambitions are now to make a full-length animated feature. She hopes that this film will give a much-needed platform to women who are on the autistic spectrum.

To have been shortlisted for the Autism Uncut award was “fantastic”, adds Ms Parker. “It was such a rewarding experience for me.”

Source: As a woman with Aspergers, I can’t be stereotyped by anyone

Thank you so much for sharing this article about me!
My brother, who like me is on the autism spectrum, told me that he hasn't been to the cinema for over two years because he gets so annoyed by other members of the audience chatting or laughing at scenes which aren't funny. Do you think he should lighten up?

My brother, who like me is on the autism spectrum, told me that he hasn't been to the cinema for over two years because he gets so annoyed by other members of the audience chatting or laughing at scenes which aren't funny. Do you think he should lighten up?

This is exactly why I much, much prefer watching movies alone over going to the theater or watching with anyone else, because I get very absorbed in basically any movie (or TV show), and it pulls me out when other people are talking, and I loathe when people laugh at or poke fun at parts that I really don’t think are funny, or make jokes that completely ruin the mood (back when I watched Supernatural, I watched it on the TV in the living room, and my mom was always doing this, much to my chagrin, yet she’d claim to not really be watching (if you aren’t watching it, then shut up about it:rolleyes:)) Movie-watching just isn’t usually a casual thing for me, or a social thing, it’s more of an escape. Tell me to lighten up all you want, I’m sorry, it isn’t going to happen, it’s just not in my nature - but then again, I also don’t make a big deal of preferring to watch things alone and nobody else has to watch with me (in fact, I’d prefer they didn’t), so the only one it really affects in my case is me. I guess that’s a good thing about not having enough of a social life for anyone to want me to watch movies with them.

Not meaning to sound hostile or anything, I just realized it might come across that way:oops: Just trying to explain from my viewpoint.

This is exactly why I much, much prefer watching movies alone over going to the theater or watching with anyone else, because I get very absorbed in basically any movie (or TV show), and it pulls me out when other people are talking, and I loathe when people laugh at or poke fun at parts that I really don’t think are funny, or make jokes that completely ruin the mood (back when I watched Supernatural, I watched it on the TV in the living room, and my mom was always doing this, much to my chagrin, yet she’d claim to not really be watching (if you aren’t watching it, then shut up about it:rolleyes:)) Movie-watching just isn’t usually a casual thing for me, or a social thing, it’s more of an escape. Tell me to lighten up all you want, I’m sorry, it isn’t going to happen, it’s just not in my nature - but then again, I also don’t make a big deal of preferring to watch things alone and nobody else has to watch with me (in fact, I’d prefer they didn’t), so the only one it really affects in my case is me. I guess that’s a good thing about not having enough of a social life for anyone to want me to watch movies with them.

Not meaning to sound hostile or anything, I just realized it might come across that way:oops: Just trying to explain from my viewpoint.
Haven't been for 19 years .

New Threads

Top Bottom