• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Artists Wanted

Alex Dame

Startouched
As you may remember reading on my introduction page, I've been enjoying writing in my spare time about anthropomorphic furry animals and the adventures thereof. The fact is, the writing is the easy part for me. Writing, planning even the most minute of details, working out logistics, finding commonality, all of those things are easy to do in my spare time. And, for what it's worth, the people I showed my writing and sketching to all seemed to have high positive regard for it. Anyway, it's not that I CAN'T draw, it's just that I'm not very good at it. Not as good as other artists I've seen on the internet anyway.

I'm going to describe the seven characters I'd like drawn, and if anyone is interested in a commissioned drawing or two (Or more), they can let me know. Some may be easier to draw than others, but my general lack of experience makes drawing an awkward experience. I don't know exactly what it means or costs to commission, but we can work out the details if anyone is interested.

Anyway, here are the descriptions of the seven characters:

1. Name: Jewel

Species: Arctic Fox

Standing Height: About five feet tall (Slightly taller if you include the ears)

Distinguishing characteristics: Jewel is covered in fluffy, bleach-white, and has long hair of the same color. Her nose is black, her eyes are light blue colored, as is a diamond-shaped birthmark on her forehead.

Clothes: Jewel is the daughter of the chieftain of an aboriginal village in a snowy landscape. As such, she's first seen wearing a robe that includes a hood capable of covering her eyes (Not necessarily her snout though). However, while not exactly arrogant, Jewel cares a lot about how she looks to others, and takes a certain amount of pride in being a lady. She can wear shirts and pants if she has to, but generally prefers wearing dresses or robes.

Distinguishing items: Jewel carries with her a staff that has a blue, frost-like crystal on the tip.

Powers: As may be expected of an arctic fox, Jewel has magical frost powers to freeze others solid or un-freeze them, as well as create or dissipate storms or ice crystals. However, like a shaman, she also has the power to magically heal and regenerate others by touching them. She has other powers, but these are the most notable.

Expressions: Jewel is among the least-violent members of the team, and getting angry generally results in a tongue-lashing more than anything else. Being angry isn't the strongest part of her personality, and she can be sentimental as well, and occasionally be scared enough not to move. Generally not the type to fight, Jewel has a strong nurturing side, and is especially soft toward children. Her biggest problem might be an innocence in trusting other people too much.

Influences: Jewel was initially conceived to look very similar to Maid Marion from Disney's Robin Hood (Except of course for the coloring). In addition, she has a twin brother named Rune.

2. Name: Trick

Species: Raccoon

Standing Height: About four feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Like any raccoon, Trick has black paws and a black mask across his face, black rings around his tail, black edges around the ears, black head-hair, and brown eyes. Other than these parts, his fur is white and/or grey.

Clothes: Trick's outfit basically consists of a bowler cap, a red bandanna, a black coat (With a white shirt underneath), a pair of pants, and no shoes. Trick never wears shoes.

Distinguishing items: Trick carries around a sack that, similar to Santa Clause's sack, has an infinite capacity, and effectively contains just about anything.

Powers: Trick can change shape and levitate or fly. The shape-shifting comes in less handy than you might think.

Expressions: Trick is known primarily for his comic potential, and therefore has some cartoonish expressions and reactions. Trick is effectively a coward and a philanderer. In addition to beautiful and/or voluptuous females (Of ANY species), he's attracted to gold and other forms of currency. He's also the sort of guy that can be less-than-honest and opportunistic, but effectively harmless.

Influences: Trick was initially inspired by a salesman character in the movie "Pinocchio and the Emperor of Night", but I later decided he should be a little guy. He looks radically different from Rocket of Guardians of the Galaxy, and instead more closely resembles Ranger Rick. At any rate, like Jewel, he doesn't fight. UN-like Jewel, it's because he's a coward, not because he's gentle. Trick has a particular attraction to Jewel, and affectionately refers to her as "Blue Eyes".

3. Name: Star

Species: Skunk

Standing Height: Roughly five feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Star has purple-colored fur, yellow stripes down the back to the tail, green eyes, rainbow-colored hair (Shoulder-length), and claws on her hands.

Clothes: Star frequently dresses like a rock star, with accessories like a black leather jacket, tight pants, boots, etc. A few guidelines though are that she doesn't have any piercings (Earrings, navel rings etc.), and if she has a necklace, it should have a music note on it instead of a more religious symbol like a cross.

Distinguishing items: Star always carries a red guitar with her, and sometimes carries a mic as well.

Powers: Similar to Pikachu from Pokemon, Star has battery-like sacs instead of the pungent fluid sacs normally expected of skunks. Therefore, she can generate high amounts of electrical current at well. In addition, her music can be persuasive and influential to others.

Expressions: Star is basically the mellow sort that is always ready to party, frequently optimistic, and hardly ever gets angry. However, she's also possessive, and she can still get angry when someone takes or ruins her stuff.

Influences: Star was initially influenced by the character "Angel" from the movie Rock and Rule. A lot of things changed, like the character becoming a skunk instead of a mouse, and, in some ways, becoming less human, but she's still a rock star.

4. Name: Jack

Species: Rabbit

Standing height: A little over five feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Jack is in excellent physical fitness and one of the tallest members of the group. He appears tough but not necessarily malicious, and the fact that he's a pink rabbit (That's right, folks. He's pink) really contrasts his personality as a temperamental hot-head who happens to be the best and most experienced fighter of the team (Though Ruby is the strongest). His nose is red, and his eyes are green. His hair, like his fur, is also pink. As a rabbit, he naturally has long ears (Which generally hang limp like those of a lop-eared bunny), and proportionately larger legs and feet.

Clothes: In civilian dress, Jack is comfortable in a regular tee-shirt, jacket, pair of pants and shoes. In his more dynamic outfit, he also wears elbow and knee pads, wears bandages around his forearms, wears shoulder pads, and has scabbards that contain katana-like swords strapped to his back.

Distinguishing items: Jack's weapon of choice is a sword, and he's fully capable of using one in each hand. He carries a pair of katana swords that he keeps on his back, ready to take out at a moment's notice.

Powers: Jack has superhuman speed and the ability to generate smoke and fire, and fireproof skin, fur, and hair. He has the classic power to run super-fast across any given expanse of terrain, leaving a trail of fire in his wake.

Expressions: Jack is arguably the toughest member of the team, and the most serious male. He gets angry a lot, resulting in fire being inadvertently generated, though not necessarily used in hurting others. He makes a habit of hiding his softer side, but he is not without softness and compassion. He loves his little sister (A powder blue rabbit named Jill), and is particularly soft on Jewel because her innocence reminds him of Jill.

Influences: There have been a surprisingly lot of "tough guy" bunnies in cartoons over the years, including Usagi Yojimbo, Captain Bucky O' Hare, Ace Bunny (From Lunatics Unleashed), and E. Aster Bunnimund from Rise of the Guardians. Of these, Jack most resembles Usagi Yojimbo, except, of course, that Jack is pink.

5. Name: Cowl

Species: Black Cat

Standing height: About five feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Cowl is covered in black fur and has black hair. Her eyes are red, her nails are long, and her canine fangs tend to protrude a little when her mouth is closed. Her fur, on the other hand, remains eerily neat and straight. Cowl is basically the kind of person that can look and sound a lot creepier than she wants to be. She enjoys being the goth of the group, but also wants to be trustworthy among her friends and peers, and doesn't really want to scare them.

Clothes: Unlike Jewel, Cowl doesn't care as much about how she looks as Jewel does, and prefers appearing on the reckless and dangerous side. ALSO contrary to Jewel, Cowl isn't afraid to look like a tomboy, though her being a witch makes her more inclined to wear robes or miniskirts. Dressing up like a princess would royally tick her off (No pun intended). Cowl generally wears a green tank top, a miniskirt, a pair of bracelets, a shoulder cover on the right side, a necklace of bones, and a pair of black high-heeled boots.

Distinguishing items: As a witch sporting some spooky black magic, Cowl is known to carry various totems and fetishes. Some of the most notable include a rattle made with a human or animal skull, a bag of "witch brew" ingredients, and a book containing either spells or information about the supernatural.

Powers: Using dark magic without getting corrupted into doing evil things can be extremely difficult, especially considering Cowl had tragedy in her past. And yet, that's exactly what she does, employing some sinister witchcraft to animate corpses or other inanimate things, polymorph others, see and communicate with ghosts, and inflict damage over far distances. However, unlike with Jewel's magic (Which only requires her to use her own psychic energy), initiating and often sustaining dark magic spells almost always requires making someone or something suffer, or using a piece of some living thing (Such as blood, flesh, or bone). Even when used for good, dark magic can be a painful experience. Cowl also has excellent night vision.

Expressions: Growing up in and having to adapt to a nightmarish world full of monsters and psychopaths, Cowl is considered the bravest of the group, and whether she intends to or not, she can be pretty scary or at least unsettling. A creepy grin or a glare would be appropriate. Still, she has a softer side, and, as a matter of fact, has an adopted daughter, so she can be nurturing as well.

Influences: Basically, there WAS no initial inspiration for Cowl. I just wanted there to be a world of darkness, monsters, and other scary stuff, and wanted a furry creature to exist in it. At first, I was thinking a bat, but I wanted something that would look cute when it was young as WELL as creepy when it was grown.

6. Name: Fuzz

Species: Bear

Standing height: About three and a half feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Standing only about as tall as a kindergartener, Fuzz is the shortest member of the team, looks the most childish, and has a childish voice to match. Small and round, with mitten-like hands, Fuzz is reminiscent of the Care Bears (But without the trademark "tummy symbol"), and bitterly aware of that fact. His fur, hair, and eye colors are all brown, and he looks a lot more like a teddy bear than an actual Earth bear. Fuzz' childlike appearance tends to charm other members of the team, especially Ruby.

Clothes: Fuzz tries to dress in ways that make him look smart, and often wears a lab coat with a pair of jeans pants and shoes. He doesn't wear glasses though, and can see just fine.

Distinguishing items: Fuzz can be seen carrying reference books, small computers, calculators, or a clipboard. In addition, he carries a satchel full of various seeds with which to exploit his power.

Powers: Sick of being small and trying to artificially enlarge himself, Fuzz' failed experiments have only given him the ability to manipulate and communicate with plants, including being able to make them grow.

Expressions: As a teddy-bear-like creature, Fuzz should have a number of expressions that show him as adorable and/or comforting. He should also be seen as childish, as he does things like enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, be afraid of the dark and of spiders, and sleep with a stuffed animal himself. Fuzz should also be bitter about being small and cute and having been made fun of for being so throughout his life. He also has a schoolboy crush on Jewel, but is too bashful to admit it.

Influences: It should be pretty obvious that Fuzz is based on such child-friendly bear types as The Care Bears and Teddy Ruxpin. Beyond that, there have been plenty of geniuses that have big brains and tiny bodies, with Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory being one example.

7. Name: Ruby

Species: Red Squirrel

Standing height: A little over five feet tall

Distinguishing characteristics: Ruby is deceptively thin and surprisingly young-and-innocent looking. Her personality is a very different matter. She's strong-willed, often too competitive, passionate, and a major tomboy that never wants to wear a dress. She's also a major feminist and gets on Jewel's case for being "too girly". Her fur and hair are red while her eyes are green.

Clothes: Ruby prefers dressing like an athlete, particularly a gymnast, as her thin and light frame help her in performances. She'll happily wear shorts and tank tops or shirts and pants, but she considers dresses and skirts to be beneath her. Ruby prefers to wear clothes that are short or tight so as to maximize mobility, and a personal favorite of hers is a black-and-red gym outfit with black base and red stripes.

Distinguishing items: Ruby is an athlete rather than a fighter, musician, salesperson, scientist, or mage. As such, she generally has no use for personalized items to carry with her. However, unless what she's wearing has pockets, she'll be naturally forced to carry a purse with her (Something she doesn't much mind in spite of her tomboy persona).

Powers: In spite of her appearance that suggests an innocent young woman, Ruby has incredible superhuman strength, sufficient to defeat Marvel's The Thing in an arm-wrestling contest. She can also fire energy beams from her hands in self-defense. Also, while not as fast as Jack, Ruby is very physically fit, and a fast runner, as well as good at swimming and climbing, and having good hand-eye coordination.

Expressions: Ruby can get angry easily in the midst of an intense and trying competition, or whenever she feels discriminated against. She tends to be serious a lot of the time, afraid to show weakness. However, she is not without a romantic side, and has a crush on Jack (Who, unfortunately for Ruby, is the only member of the team who is actually married). She also has the strongest nurturing feelings toward Fuzz, sometimes treating him like a little brother, or even a son. Jewel doesn't bear her any malice, but their differences in character make Ruby hard to interact well with Jewel.

Inspirations: Ruby has a number of influences, but because I'm feeling a little rushed here, I won't go into them. I can tell you about them later on.

Anyway, if you're interested, what I'd MOST like is to have pictures of each character as an adult as well as a youngster (Kid, small child, toddler, baby, some form of cub). After all, with furry characters, there's a lot of potential for cute.

I'm down. My price page is here (and I do multiples discounts) and here is a pretty good range of styles with one character I've been working with for over a year.

I can recommend a couple other sites to go shopping on if you need.
First off, I appreciate that you're so forthcoming about being available. Also, I'm very much considering commissioning you to draw pictures of my characters. Your art looks very detailed and you clearly put a lot of time and effort into your work, both in the initial drawing and the coloring that comes next. Also, based on your responses to my other posts, it seems like you and I think a lot alike. That said, I've been thinking a lot about what I can afford, and I've never actually paid for a commission before, so I don't know how to do that. Do I send money through the mail or just use a credit card (My mom is paranoid when it comes to giving out credit card information over the internet, but I'm pretty sure I can trust you.)? Also, are the prices including tax, or do you even CHARGE tax?

At any rate, I was thinking those ACEOs would be pretty cool. Or maybe character commissions in colored pencil and/or digital art (To be honest, I'm not totally sure what digital art is, but it SOUNDS pretty cool.). Also, if you could put more than one or all characters into a larger print, I'd be interested in that.

I've recently discovered Playbuzz and the ability to create your own online quizzes, poles, and tests. I'm thinking I'd like to make a personality quiz regarding my personality if I can get some good pictures (Which, naturally, I'd either draw myself or pay for) of each of my characters to put to it.

One more thing: I hope you aren't offended by my asking, but would you mind recommending a couple of other sites? I like to have concept art and different styles, but I really see my characters as something more of a cartoon/comic book format than anything too realistic.

First off, I appreciate that you're so forthcoming about being available. Also, I'm very much considering commissioning you to draw pictures of my characters. Your art looks very detailed and you clearly put a lot of time and effort into your work, both in the initial drawing and the coloring that comes next. Also, based on your responses to my other posts, it seems like you and I think a lot alike. That said, I've been thinking a lot about what I can afford, and I've never actually paid for a commission before, so I don't know how to do that. Do I send money through the mail or just use a credit card (My mom is paranoid when it comes to giving out credit card information over the internet, but I'm pretty sure I can trust you.)?
The majority of online artists use Paypal. Paypal lets you use your debit card, credit card, bank account, or even a check to send money to another person. The receiver/seller will not see what method you used to pay us, we will only be notified of what amount we are receiving. Paypal is locked down with lots of HTTPS:// pages and SSL stuff, so they're pretty secure. Paypal also has an invoicing system, so whoever you order from I would highly recommend they send you an invoice detailing the amount expected and what the order is about so you've got a bigger ball in your court should it go sour. Better safe than sorry, no?
If their commission page has an "add to cart" or "buy now" feature, I think you don't have to have an account with Paypal, but I haven't fully tested that idea.
(I also have no idea how to manually process card info.)

Some places use a service through Google or Amazon, or even use that new digital BitCoin thing.

I'm experimenting with that Bluebird card from American Express since they can use an email system like Paypal.

I wouldn't recommend sending physical money through the mail. Too easy to fall victim to a scam since there's no way to really prove they took your money. In person, yeah, money is fine so long as the seller has a handy receipt book to help verify the transaction.

Also, are the prices including tax, or do you even CHARGE tax?
Since technically I am selling my services as an artist instead of a product like an art print, there are no taxes involved for you. Shipping is also free if you're in the USA, so if you want a pencil or colored pencil work, I can send the original to you at no extra charge.

At any rate, I was thinking those ACEOs would be pretty cool. Or maybe character commissions in colored pencil and/or digital art (To be honest, I'm not totally sure what digital art is, but it SOUNDS pretty cool.). Also, if you could put more than one or all characters into a larger print, I'd be interested in that.
Digital art is artwork created entirely on the computer and doesn't use real pencils, paint, or other traditional media. Genzoman is a digital artist and a good example of what a skilled digital artist is capable of. I'm not up to that level yet, mine still falls more on the illustration end of things rather than painty/realistic.

Aye, I can put quite a few on one piece of paper, or just one. My 8.5"x11" is usually what I recommend for full-body or multiple characters since per square inch it's the cheapest thing I offer.

I've recently discovered Playbuzz and the ability to create your own online quizzes, poles, and tests. I'm thinking I'd like to make a personality quiz regarding my personality if I can get some good pictures (Which, naturally, I'd either draw myself or pay for) of each of my characters to put to it.
Cool! Also, double check with whichever artist you use to make sure they're fine with that. Some out there don't care what you do so long as it's not commercial use, some get rather picky and say it's to be displayed on your computer only. Artists are really moody little buggers.

ACEOs do make for some cute little mug shots. Little things like an ACEO, 2"x3", and size A8 are fun to do too.

One more thing: I hope you aren't offended by my asking, but would you mind recommending a couple of other sites? I like to have concept art and different styles, but I really see my characters as something more of a cartoon/comic book format than anything too realistic.
deviantART is a good place to start. You can hop over to their job offer forums, post your request, and you're bound to get a range of styles and price ranges.
FurAffinity has a TON of furry artists. They don't precisely have a job board, but I think their forum has a section for people to advertise their services.
Artists&Clients is nothing but commissions and they have a nicely locked down system that makes it pretty hard for either the artist or buyer to get scammed. The minimum an artist is allowed to charge on that site is $5, but I think some get around that by doing "2 for $5" or something like that.
eBay has a range of artists selling their talents, although sometimes it can be a bit awkward figuring out which ones are doing custom works and which ones are just selling originals.
Etsy naturally has lots of people offering services and original works.
There are also the professional websites like Elance. They have mostly industry professionals, and they'll also charge professional rates.

My main advisory is to ask about size and delivery. There are a lot of kids and amateurs on the first three sites. Very few of them will mail a hard copy (if it's traditional work). And some of the examples an artist offers may be what-you-see-is-what-you-get, meaning that the 500x600 pixel example is the biggest size you will get, which is rather poor for printing or using as a really big background on your computer.

Most artists also specify how much stuff you can get per purchase. In example, a listing will be only for headshots, no background. The next listing an artist offers may be a full body, full and detailed background listing. I am currently the oddball that just charges for the size and then I'll put whatever is asked on it.

You also need to verify the amount of tweaks and initial sketches an artist offers. Some artists are dedicated to the service part of commissions, will send a bunch of sketches to make sure they're doing what you want, and will make as many tweaks as necessary along the way to get it right. Some artists believe that you are the privileged one for them to be spending their time and talent on you, and what they create is what you are to have with no revisions whatsoever. Most artists fall in the middle, they will give a set number of initial sketches and allow a certain number of revisions.

Oh, and ask about turnaround time. Some of them are lightning fast and will get it to you the same day, some may drag their feet a few months (or years) because they're either lazy or snowed under with orders. Another reason I advise getting a Paypal invoice or such third-party mediator like eBay, Etsy, or Artists&Clients. And do not use devaintART's little commission widget, they don't have a good track record with bad artists.

New Threads

Top Bottom