• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Article on recent onscreen depictions of autistic adults

THank you - looks like a well thought through article. I will need to read it again more slowly.

I am not sure media depictions are significantly changing because of Hannah Gadsby and Love on the Spectrum. I will say documentaries from the UK tend to be much better than anything in the US. But the Hollywood super-genius trope is the same as it ever was.

I don't understand why when writers make a character autistic, they give them superhuman powers. To be fair, I am writing an autistic wizard girl a novel I'd probably get to actually writing soon, but she exists in an urban fantasy world where other wizards exist, and tech is even infused with magic, so at least she isn't basically the only one with superhuman powers, since there is a good chance that another person will also have at least some sort of spellcasting ability (such as the ability to cause explosions by saying a few words & making gestures).

Curious of what you thought about the movie " The Accountant"

The only piece I've watched that involved an autistic character is "Rain Man" and that was a long time ago, and so I'm not able to comment on any more recent media myself.

That being said, if I recall correctly, the most common fields that aspies are found in, as per Tony Attwood are:

4. Computer Science / Programming
3. Engineering
2. Accounting
1. Medicine

The only piece I've watched that involved an autistic character is "Rain Man" and that was a long time ago, and so I'm not able to comment on any more recent media myself.

That being said, if I recall correctly, the most common fields that aspies are found in, as per Tony Attwood are:

4. Computer Science / Programming
3. Engineering
2. Accounting
1. Medicine
My son is an Aspie and when I watched the Accountant I didn't know I was going to be watching a movie about Asperger's. But as I watched it I could instantly relate a lot of his actions to my son. Not everything of course but there was a lot I saw my son in. I think the rain man was called an autistic Savant. There was nothing in that guy that I could relate to my son.

My son is an Aspie and when I watched the Accountant I didn't know I was going to be watching a movie about Asperger's. But as I watched it I could instantly relate a lot of his actions to my son. Not everything of course but there was a lot I saw my son in. I think the rain man was called an autistic Savant. There was nothing in that guy that I could relate to my son.
Yeah, media depictions of autistic people are getting more and more accurate overtime as the public's general understanding of ASD is increasing, which I appreciate.

I love how movies are moving on from giving autistic characters superhuman BS powers when other characters/people in that setting may not have that.

Yeah, media depictions of autistic people are getting more and more accurate overtime as the public's general understanding of ASD is increasing, which I appreciate.

I love how movies are moving on from giving autistic characters superhuman BS powers when other characters/people in that setting may not have that.

The powers keep it interesting. And you never know when ours may come in. Lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom