• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Art Imitating Life ?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Or vice-versa? Duchess (now Queen) Kate visiting the set of Downton Abbey some years back.

I've been binge-watching this series and it's quite good. Still very alien to me this rigid adherence to class consciousness, but then on both sides of the pond it seems more a matter of the times these people lived in, more than 100 years ago. Where the real star isn't a cast member, but more about a time and place.

Maggie Smith still rocks having left Hogwarts:

I forget, and wish I remembered, the skit I saw
a long time ago, about Downton Abbey, characterized
by *a quick glance and then look away.*

I enjoyed the first season of D. A. that I saw, but
later seasons seemed less fresh.

I forget, and wish I remembered, the skit I saw
a long time ago, about Downton Abbey, characterized
by *a quick glance and then look away.*

I enjoyed the first season of D. A. that I saw, but
later seasons seemed less fresh.

LOL....actually that's the first thing I thought of when I read about this series- "Upstairs Downstairs".

A more distant thought would have also been "Backstairs At The White House". A view of various presidents from the perspective of its domestic servants.

Well as a major league soap opera, let's just hope Bobby Ewing doesn't pop out of the loo. With CGI anything is possible these days. But then the Dowager might be carrying a wand and turn him into a toad. Stay tuned...:D

Last edited:
Btw, Kate isn't Queen, currently the Queen Consort is King Charles the thirds partner Camilla. Similarly, in current usage, when her husband Prince William inherits the throne, Kate would not be Queen but Queen Consort, as the title Queen would only apply to a hereditary monarch, such as Queen Elizabeth the second.

Btw, Kate isn't Queen, currently the Queen Consort is King Charles the thirds partner Camilla. Similarly, in current usage, when her husband Prince William inherits the throne, Kate would not be Queen but Queen Consort, as the title Queen would only apply to a hereditary monarch, such as Queen Elizabeth the second.
That's ok. Monarchies in the 21st century are all nonsense to me. Tiocfaidh ár lá ;)

 Well there are positives and negatives in any system, I guess. There's a good series called Victoria you might like too.

Still watching Downton Abbey. It continues to be amazing with an ability to immerse the audience into a very different time and place, and keep such continuity in doing so in every way. And with such rich characters to love or despise. And all those old cars! Love it....

I'm afraid I'll be listing this series with a few others:

"West Wing", "Battlestar Gallactica", "Band Of Brothers" and "Breaking Bad". There are others, but these always remain at the top of such a list, IMO.

-The best of the best in television.

Last edited:
Still watching Downton Abbey. It continues to be amazing with an ability to immerse the audience into a very different time and place, and keep such continuity in doing so in every way. And with such rich characters to love or despise. And all those old cars!
It's something the English have always excelled at - Theatre. They just seem to have a natural knack for it.

Of course I grew up in a society that is also very English and so a lot of what is in Downton Abbey is a lot more culturally relevant to my society too, I agree with you that it's an all time classic, I agree about Breaking Bad too, shows that actually captivate an audience instead of just wowing them with shock and awe.

There's a lot of little English programs that I really like too, one was called Grand Designs. It was just a bloke going around interviewing people that were renovating their own homes yet it was so interesting and entertaining. No competitions or throwing money at people, all he did was talk to them. I think they must have produced the whole series at a cost of about $50 an episode but it was such a great show.

It's something the English have always excelled at - Theatre. They just seem to have a natural knack for it.
I've always thought English Culture was their strongest suit in the modern era.

Drama, humor, music...they excel in it and always have.

The social dynamics of this show depicting complex exchanges between the aristocracy and their servants. Ugh...makes me wonder how an autistic person would fare in such an environment.

Would it be simple for them given so much structure and expected obedience and loyalty, or would it be chaotic and loaded with stress?

I'm not sure...

New Threads

Top Bottom