• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aromas, odors, smells (favorites?)

aspie1w

Hello to everyone:

i was wondering if this is somewhat normal , is hard to explain when i was more kid and went to school had to myself polish my shoes of school and with those shoes polish things but the weird thing is that i liked the smell of that and was not an particularly nice smell , i wonder if this is really normal or important to be mentioned to the doctor that would evaluate to me to the formal diagnosis of ASD?

best regards
Aspie1w

I like the smell of a running chainsaw, which other people don't find particularly pleasant, but I think that's because I'm just obsessed with wood haha. I couldn't say if it's autism related or not.

If anything I find aromas more off-putting than enjoyable usually, especially chemical smells and certain kinds of smoke. I am hypersensitive to smells.

right now i am just questioning myself entirely since discovered that many things i considered normal were not and just normalized those things then i just am like questioning myself, which is not bad or wrong , just how want find a solution if do not do this .

As much as we have our strong dislikes with certain smells, sounds, etc, we also have those weird ones that we like that is not shared by many. As far as how important it may be to the doctor doing the assessing, it's dependent upon the doctor.

It's normal , I liked the smell of it too . I don't know if that would be something important to making a diagnosis or not but you never know . I am sensitive to smell , scents etc but certain smells are pleasant and bring back memories . Some smells can take me back to my earliest memories of childhood .

Also like the smell of shoe polish, apples, hay, even the smell of gasoline when I'm filling the car. These all bring back nice memories from pleasant experiences. None of which need to be considered terrible in any way. Most ordinary people have things that they like the smell of from any segment of society.

The smell of fresh cut grass or hay , fresh sawdust , fresh ground coffee , bacon , caramelized onions , a leather saddle , a new car . The list goes on . Smells play a huge part in our perception of the world around us . Just like we store our memories as pictures , smells often serve the same function , they recall memories . Maybe someone should start a favorite smell thread .

Autistic people can be hyposensitive as well as hypersensitive, and actually enjoy strong or unusual smells. But the smells I don't like aren't all that unusual or different from what most people don't like.

Walking past a well dressed woman caked in makeup, I prepare myself to be temporarily immobilised by her excessive application of perfume.

Ed

I have something similar. I like the smell of glue, raw wood and paint for example. Also, some types of wood varnish that are generally considered unpleasant, as well as the smell of burning wood.

On the other hand, there are perfumes considered amazing that I simply can't stand.

I did like the smell of my little pony toys when I freshly unpacked them. There was just something about the plastic odor that I really, really liked. Nobody seemed to understand that either.
Other smells I like seem to be rather common tho, like freshly cut grass and petrichor.
Oh yes, I just love that "new toy smell"!:hearteyes: They should put the scent in spray bottles so I can spray my old toys with it.

Likes: Diesel, hot engines, fresh cigarette and cigar smoke, wood fires, alcohol, acetone, coffee being roasted, fresh-ground coffee, skunk at a (large) distance, freshly-baked bread, frankincense and "old church" smells,the smell of new books and the smell of old books,...

Dislikes: Gasoline, water melon, cucumber, cilantro, most perfumes, "arts and craft store" smells (scented soaps and candles, pot pourri, etc.), air fresheners, stale cigarette or cigar smells,...

In terms of candles, perfume, soap, etc.

I love sweet scents such as cotton candy or cake but I think I like a little bit of everything.

Lavender, nag champa and vanilla is also very nice. In fact, those are the notes of one of my favorites perfumes. :)

I love vanilla, but I also love high octane race fuel and tire smoke too. Cigarette smoke mixed in with used oil and grease immediately slam me back to 10 years old and visiting all my dad's racing buddies at their shops. Can't stand cigarette smoke by itself though.

The spicy scent of shuffling through fall leaves. The smell of good leather. The aroma inside a rickhouse where bourbon is aged. The yeasty aroma of bread baking. The various smells from a steam locomotive and ancient passenger cars. The smell-numbing sensation of a landscape at -32 F.

The spicy scent of shuffling through fall leaves. The smell of good leather. The aroma inside a rickhouse where bourbon is aged. The yeasty aroma of bread baking. The various smells from a steam locomotive and ancient passenger cars. The smell-numbing sensation of a landscape at -32 F.
I like most of these too! :)
I’ll also add that I like the smell of clean dogs, pumpkin, freshly brewed coffee, sugar cookies, some foods when they’re being cooked, Christmas trees, and anything that smells like my grandparents’ house.

I like the scents of various woods, the smell of a forest, just after it's rained, Tibetan lotus and nag champa, bread baking in a wood-fired oven, matcha tea, pikaki, plumeria and jasmine blossoms. Possibly, others that aren't coming to mind.

• Jasmine.
  • Dogs, especially puppies. Love that new puppy smell.
  • Smells in a stable
  • Woodsmoke
  • Petrichor
  • Freshly cut hay.
  • Sage
  • Gunsmoke
  • Pizza.
  • Babies
  • The scent of a woman.

New Threads

Top Bottom