1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Arkansas legislators pass ban on transgender medical treatments for youths, overriding gvrner's veto

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Sapphire K, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Kalinychta

Kalinychta Well-Known Member

And I stand by what I said. Kids should not be allowed to make these decisions. I have a young niece and a young nephew, and the idea of either one of them being allowed to do to themselves what’s mentioned in the article sends chills down my spine. Once they became adults, I would support them.
    Yes, enough said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Penumbra

Penumbra Member

I found the option to ignore a specific user pretty quickly too, if that helps anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sapphire K

Sapphire K Autistic Pansexual Enby! (they/them) V.I.P Member

Why does it make you so sick? Why do you think it is mutilation or wrong?

4. Sapphire K

If you don't want to be called transphobic, then don't be transphobic. It's that simple.

I wish I learned about queer people existing and had access to these resources growing up. I feel a lot of physical dysphoria and it effects my mental health quite a bit. I wish I could take hormone blockers. But I can't. Because of ignorant people like you.

Seeing you post this hurts me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

REMINDER

Members who participate in the Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.

Post#20

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Sapphire K

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Seems to me that for some time many courts have been trending towards allowing a minor to partake in the legal process in determining whether or not non-elective surgery may be warranted.

However this isn't intended to initiate any efforts in giving minors full authority over any elective medical procedures they may be seeking. It simply means that such minors should have some right of due process in accordance with the 14th Amendment. Stands to reason, logically and legally. Where the ultimate decision still remains with a judge and not simply the minor in question.

Meanwhile, for the state of Arkansas to single out transgendered persons to exclude them from any possibility of participating in such decisions may amount to a blatant violation of the 14th Amendment, both in terms of equal protection of the law, and a right to due process. Though the one mitigating aspect of all of this remains the hotly contested notion of giving any minor a say in elective surgery.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ACLU launches litigation intended all the way to the Supreme Court to determine that this Arkansas law may in fact be unconstitutional. It's a tricky thing in a legal system so dependent on the rule of precedent when due process of law is extended, only after the fact for some state legislature to try and take it away.

IMO creating a law that "cherry-picks" rights of due process based exclusively on sexual orientation just is asking for trouble from higher courts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 2:12 PM
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This brings up an interesting point in relation to minors and any type of elective surgery. I know the issue in this thread has been centered around hormone blockers rather than actual sex reassignment surgery, specifically, if an 11 year old decided to change sexes surgically and without the need for consent from parents, it would only stand to reason that any elective surgeries for any reason should be allowable without parental consent. Body modifications for example. I suppose it could also come down to who pays for the elective surgeries. If the parent's health insurance won't pay I would think parents could simply refuse to pay for the elective surgery?

9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Exactly. As to who must pay for it remains yet another can of worms. That it's a moot point if their insurer isn't willing to cover it in whole or in part.

Having the legal right is one thing, having the resources to get it done may be quite another. Though I suppose if one can make such a successful plea to the legal establishment, they might just be able to persuade third-party charitable providers to come up with the cash.

10. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Generally elective surgeries (ie not "medically necessary") are excluded from health insurance coverage and for good reason. If elective non-medically necessary surgeries were covered, the cost of health insurance would be dramatically higher than it already is.

Just as a parent may refuse to buy their minor child a cell phone, etc. If sex reassignment surgery for minors isn't covered by health insurance, a parent may refuse to pay for such a surgery out of pocket. I wonder what the cost would be for that kind of surgery. $100,000+? I would assume so. Maybe I'm wrong on that. The laparoscopic hernia surgery I had a few years ago (medically necessary) was over $20,000 and was an outpatient procedure. I assume sex reassignment would be an inpatient procedure?

11. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

12. Sapphire K

Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

They're going to a lot of trouble to trample all over people's rights. Sad to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sapphire K

They'll get hell for this. Even conservative people are angered by the law passing, which just goes to show that representatives do not actually represent the people.

• Agree Agree x 1