• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you underemployed?

Are you underemployed?

• No. I'm unemployed

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No. I'm happy with what I do now for my job.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes. I'm underemployed.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm fairly happy with my job, although what I would like are more hours and more money. Working a few hours a week doesn't really pay a lot, hence I'm having to find another to supplement my income.

I'm fairly happy with my job, although what I would like are more hours and more money. Working a few hours a week doesn't really pay a lot, hence I'm having to find another to supplement my income.

Eventually, I hope you're gainfully employed in a full-time job. It'll be hard... But have hope.

Actually, if I was looking for full-time work, I wouldn't find it hard to be in a job right now. Not bragging, but I have enough work experience behind me and I was on the books for a very good recruitment agency to know that it's a possibility. The last time I went looking for a full-time job, it took me a few weeks from the time I started looking to the time I landed one. However, at the moment I'm restricted to the amount of hours I can work because I'm studying part-time, and I'm finding that to be frustrating. I'm sure something will come up eventually.

I like the cartoon :D I've been unemployed for long time and to be honest it's hard for me to believe now that I can actually work for anyone but myself.... well...fingers crossed but there's absolutely no guarantee (about working for myself). I think lots of people on the spectrum have to be trained to get and keep jobs... I was fired from most of the jobs (the only jobs I wasn't fired from were designer at a clothing factory and a psychic :) ) the reason for firing was: "me no understand what boss want" :) they might have thought I was stupid...or I don't know ...that I didn't give a damn. My argument was: "it is your fault. You should have been more specific when explaining the requirements" :) it was nobody's fault ...just simple misunderstanding due to processing differences...

However, at the moment I'm restricted to the amount of hours I can work because I'm studying part-time, and I'm finding that to be frustrating. I'm sure something will come up eventually.

Yup. Hopefully things get better when you've completed your studies, Occasional_Demon

I like the cartoon :D I've been unemployed for long time and to be honest it's hard for me to believe now that I can actually work for anyone but myself.... well...fingers crossed but there's absolutely no guarantee (about working for myself). I think lots of people on the spectrum have to be trained to get and keep jobs... I was fired from most of the jobs (the only jobs I wasn't fired from were designer at a clothing factory and a psychic :) ) the reason for firing was: "me no understand what boss want" :) they might have thought I was stupid...or I don't know ...that I didn't give a damn. My argument was: "it is your fault. You should have been more specific when explaining the requirements" :) it was nobody's fault ...just simple misunderstanding due to processing differences...

Well, we all learn in our jobs.

I felt I was at a spectacularly terrible employment place. It was fast food. There was a lot of learning on the fly and conflicting instructions. I am not smart and I am a slow learner and worker. I got eight hours a week which was fine and dandy if you can learn that fast, but I couldn't so the employees hated me and eventually I was fired. :yourefired:

I haven't worked since then. Having no degrees, I do not deserve what people like to call "real" jobs, but I'd do anything right now except maybe fast food because it's for fast learners.

I felt I was at a spectacularly terrible employment place. It was fast food. There was a lot of learning on the fly and conflicting instructions. I am not smart and I am a slow learner and worker. I got eight hours a week which was fine and dandy if you can learn that fast, but I couldn't so the employees hated me and eventually I was fired. :yourefired:

I haven't worked since then. Having no degrees, I do not deserve what people like to call "real" jobs, but I'd do anything right now except maybe fast food because it's for fast learners.

I guess I wouldn't want to work in the fast food restaurant either.

I learn slow but if I learn something, I'll do it well

Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you don't deserve a "real" job, that's satisfying and utilises your skills. Everyone deserves that kind of job. Having a degree isn't the be-all and end-all for work. It's not like because you don't have a degree, you can only work crappy jobs.

I know that when I finished my undergrad, I was pretty much underemployed for the first year.

Firstly, when I graduated I decided to wind up my web design and content writing business. It was a small thing I was doing on the side anyways, and basically paid for some expenses but it wasn't giving me a viable income. Besides, I was getting burnt out by the job.

My first full-time job was working in the government, under the Department for Housing. I was working in the conveyancing section, which involved transferring land titles from one person to another. I also did some outside clerk work now and again if they were busy, which involved running around like a mad chicken to various meeting places and exchanging titles and cheques with other outside clerks. It was important not to lose the cheques because some of the amounts were pretty big - it wasn't uncommon to be holding $300k in my hand :p

My second job was at the Australian Taxation Office, where I keyed paper taxation forms. It also involved having to do some minor calculation corrections on forms because people sometimes made mistakes.

Both jobs were okay, but they definitely didn't require a degree. I could've waltzed into either job with just a high school graduation certificate.

Being a stressed civil servant must be something wonderful. At least, Occasional_Demon, you have a knowledge of the public sector, which constitutes a large part of the economy, wonderful

Looking back, I think aside from my home business, just about all my jobs have been in the public sector. I've worked for Housing, ATO, the police, Communities, Health...plus I've had social work placements in child protection and health. I know lots about red tape and how to apply for government sector jobs :p

I have been told by others (who don't work where I work) that I am being underpaid, and that I could do better. But seeing that none of these people sit behind a desk marked Human Resources, are not professional headhunters trying to recruit me, or otherwise have contacts that could get me into one of these better situations, I feel that they don't have the street creds to be worth listening to. Now, on the other hand, if you have a position to offer me, I will gladly listen all day long to talk about how I am underpaid and underappreciated at my current job.

"Now, on the other hand, if you have a position to offer me, I will gladly listen all day long to talk about how I am underpaid and underappreciated at my current job."

Actually, I also have the same issues. Haha

New Threads

Top Bottom