• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you fascinated by specific color names?

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, are you fascinated by specific color names by companies such as Pantone?

I personally am. Some of them are pretty interesting. My favorite shade of pink is known as Fairy Tale, which I have a lot of shirts in. I also have some clothes in other interesting colors, such as Absinthe Green, Blue Radiance, Ultra Violet, Sheer Lilac, True Blue, Mazarine Blue, Sundress, Tea Rose, Rose of Sharon, and Rapture Rose.

no more than irritates me that I can't picture it ,I had a time when I liked nail varnish from a certain manufacturer which I can't remember the name of .

I have, at times, wondered whether some color names for
paint/nail polish/hair color had been developed by crowd-sourcing.
People being paid 2 cents per entry, with 5 suggestions for a
name on each task entry, for instance.

When I was a kid, I always liked a particular color name of spray paint called "peacock".

Which amounted to a metallic teal. Teal being my favorite color, of course. :cool:

Pantone colours are very familiar to me especially as an artist. When you print art, or create art for printing even digitally you choose the colour spectrum system you're going to use. Pantone is one of the colour systems, as is RGB and CMYK. Adobe photoshop and corel uses the pantone system and others.

History of Pantone:

Pantone began in New York City in the 1950s as the commercial printing company of M & J Levine Advertising. In 1956, its founders, advertising executives brothers Mervin and Jesse Levine, hired recent Hofstra University graduate Lawrence Herbert as a part-time employee. Herbert used his chemistry knowledge to systematize and simplify the company's stock of pigments and production of colored inks; by 1962, Herbert was running the ink and printing division at a profit, while the commercial-display division was $50,000 in debt; he subsequently purchased the company's technological assets from the Levine Brothers for $90,000 (equivalent to $5,740,000 in 2017) and renamed them "Pantone".[3]

The company's primary products include the Pantone Guides, which consist of a large number of small (approximately 6×2 inches or 15×5 cm) thin cardboard sheets, printed on one side with a series of related color swatches and then bound into a small "fan deck". For instance, a particular "page" might contain a number of yellows of varying tints.

The idea behind the PMS is to allow designers to "color match" specific colors when a design enters production stage, regardless of the equipment used to produce the color. This system has been widely adopted by graphic designers and reproduction and printing houses. Pantone recommends that PMS Color Guides be purchased annually, as their inks become yellowish over time.[4] Color variance also occurs within editions based on the paper stock used (coated, matte or uncoated), while interedition color variance occurs when there are changes to the specific paper stock used.[5]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone

Printing is one of my long term interests as an artist.

Last edited:
I always wonder how many computer users are aware of how critical it can be to utilize color management to calibrate your color so what you see on your monitor, matches what is actually printed.

I keep my monitor, OS and inkjet printer on Adobe RGB 2.2 Gamma (1998).

On the other hand if color never seems to match with your computer systems...well....there ya go.

I was for a while, and still retain a remnant interest. I picked an interest in French names for colors as part of studying the Napoleonic Wars and teaching myself a little french so as to read french sources.

But French is such a widespread language and for so long the words have picked up associations or occur in sayings. Like:

Noir - Film Noir
Rouge - Khymer Rouge
Blanc - Carte Blanche
Bleu - Sacre Bleu

It was also useful in studying uniforms for painting figures as it was a very colorful period.

French_military_headwears.gif

I was for a while, and still retain a remnant interest. I picked an interest in French names for colors as part of studying the Napoleonic Wars and teaching myself a little french so as to read french sources.

But French is such a widespread language and for so long the words have picked up associations or occur in sayings. Like:

Noir - Film Noir
Rouge - Khymer Rouge
Blanc - Carte Blanche
Bleu - Sacre Bleu

Reminded me of Ford's car colors for the 1970 Maverick. Dad had a thing for their metallic green, called "anti-establish mint". :p

Reminded me of Ford's car colors for the 1970 Maverick. Dad had a thing for their metallic green, called "anti-establish mint". :p

Those were the metallic days. Everything (important) was metallic... cars, bikes, hot wheels cars. :D

I had one of these
d3fe2c784b5d507c5f5b29993256382d--lowrider-bike-schwinn-bikes.jpg

Last edited:
I think some paint colour names are ridiculous. Once saw a wall paint colour called "Elephant's Breath"

Interestingly, for Fall 2018, IZOD has released some clothes in a color name known as "Ketchup", an orangey red color. This is one of the funniest color names so far.

I love the different specific names of colors because they add more life to description than 'blue', 'orange', 'pink', 'yellow', 'red'. These words are so bland, so general, so vague. The world around us is not so simple, but using the extra word to describe the shade of color is. Midnight blue is nothing like navy blue, turquoise blue, or even Caribbean blue. I really wish they taught this in school from the early years. Like personalities, colors are a spectrum. A person who likes cherry red might not like oxblood red. There are just so many colors and it's a fantastic thing to appreciate them by describing them, putting a name to each one to express the differences by even a fraction of a shade. There's nothing like using good old fashioned words to paint a good mural in the mind's eye.

I used to take those small paint sample charts when I was young as I was fascinated with all the names and tints/shades (I still do but to a much lesser extent), I was the same with Crayola crayons.
I like twilight colours (dark blues, orange, deep purples and deep blue-greys) and those with zany names e.g Mac n Cheese or Inchworm.

I was interested in paint sample charts when I was little
because I thought they were.....condensed paint. So, if
you knew how, you could make a gallon of paint from
one little paint chip.

paint chip
o-PAINT-SAMPLES-facebook.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom