• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you eccentric?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Eccentricity is variously defined as:

Deviating from the recognized or customary characteristics of groups or individuals.

A person who has an unusual, peculiar, or odd personality, set of beliefs, or behavior pattern.

Eccentricity is unusual behavior on the part of an individual. This behavior would typically be perceived as unusual or unnecessary, without being demonstrably maladaptive. Eccentricity is contrasted with normal (conformative) behavior, the nearly universal means by which individuals in society solve given problems and pursue certain priorities in everyday life. People who consistently display benignly eccentric behavior are labeled as "eccentrics." (Note: at the end of this definition was a reference to people with autism.):eek:

So here we have the root of perceptions about individuals who do not act like everyone else. I've know many people who displayed eccentric behaviour, and none that I know of were autistic. Elderly Great-Aunts who saved and made wreaths from their own hair, and had stuffed squirrels in their living rooms. A neighbour who used to walk across the street in a bathrobe and rubber boots in a snowstorm to buy a newspaper. A current neighbour who sits outside early in the morning in a nightgown and slippers eating cheerios with their fingers.

All I can think for the moment, is that people who do not conform to group social strictures would be considered eccentric. People who seem to do things they enjoy and want to do. Out of the ordinary behaviour seems to scare people. What do you think?

Last edited:
I like idiosyncratic.

Kinda sounds pretentious.
I think when you say you prefer a term instead of another one it always sounds pretentious.

Yes. I have not been mistaken for normal for years.
I don't think anyone mistakes me as nomal. Tho part of it is me doing things normal people wouldn't do. That people see as immature in public.

Am I eccentric?

18403108_1384739208271766_2551436282020630503_n.jpg

Nope - everything is normal over here.

In all seriousness though, yes I am. However, I have to be comfortable around someone, before I make them uncomfortable. Then the facade of the quiet, shy and polite person gives way to the hyperactive, weird and inaproppriate.

The thing is, I can't be myself around typical/normal people. When I find someone with something different or strange about them - I'm usually drawn towards them.

Ed

Attachments

• DSCF0068.JPG
    DSCF0068.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 23130496_1542482235830795_5560571728163938511_n.jpg
    23130496_1542482235830795_5560571728163938511_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 149
I don't think I'm eccentric, but everyone else does :D

I find my behaviour perfectly normal, it's other people who are the problem. My husband is kind about it, he has always maintained that I'm quirky and that's part of what he found attractive 30 plus years ago.

Others are not so kind - being called a weirdo and psycho because I don't conform to fashion/regular style of clothing. My response is usually along the lines of 'better to be different than bland' - soon shuts them up.

Going to the newsagents in a dressing gown and wellies - perfectly normal in my world. Having stuffed animals around - again perfectly normal. Eating breakfast cereal in the front garden - that's fine too :D

I agree, it's an eccentric zombie that will eat cherrios with their fingers.

;)

bears.jpg

In general I find people's reaction to eccentricity more problematic then the eccentricity itself which is often quite benign. But it is difficult to change as I think it is tied to very basic (and for the most part anacronistic) homo sapiens instinct.

I guess so. My sister once gave me a birthday card which said inside, "for the best sister." She crossed "best" out and wrote "strangest." I've always liked to do my own thing.

I may be a little eccentric, but I am a talented person when it comes to art and music. I've been doing a lot of art lately, which I hope will make me money someday.

I think the only eccentric thing about me is that I have an imaginary BF, but I tend to keep that a secret from most people, except for my mom and therapist. Honestly, he makes me happy, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My brother sometimes find my quirks annoying, though, and called me out on it in the past, but we get along well otherwise.

I think there's certainly some overlap between the terms eccentric, idiosyncratic, quirky, and autistic. Mainly because of whatever happens in our brains to make us somewhat oblivious to social cues and conditioning. I've always thought I look a bit unusual too. My heads big. Not like, as big as the sun or anything. But big. So are my feet, although I m not tall. My friend calls me a Hobbit.

I've been described as :

wild, anti conformist, original, snobbish, "in my world", "you have a personality", unconventional and maybe others. I don't think eccentric was ever used, but it could have. I can't manage to have an other world than mine through, there's just no other one in me. But yes, it's quiet "strong".
Unless I don't manage to talk and so get invisible, I think people remember me easily when I feel comfortable and start relating to them. Not everyone likes me through, it makes some people feel uncomfortable.

No convention or expected ‘norms’ here, nighties 50’s ball gown dress to a local band in a pub.. tick
Dancing on a empty dance floor.. tick
Saying what I think and feel ... tick
So yep out of the ‘norm’ yes that’s me

I am eccentric and beyond. Lately, this song pretty much sums up how I feel. (Be aware it's loud).

New Threads

Top Bottom