• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there textures you can't bear to touch?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I asked a lot of NTs about this and hardly anyone related ever.

I ok with most things, but I cannot bear to touch metal, wire wound guitar strings, and any plastic that has ridges of a similar size and frequency.

I get a horrible, skin crawling feeling that is very strong.

I cannot stand the texture of watermelon. And as for sounds opening a salt container makes me want to run and hide.

The plastic mesh bags that fruit and vegetables are sold in make me feel odd when I touch them. Usually cut them up immediately and throw them away when I return home.

upload_2017-5-23_10-5-30.jpeg Plastic dish scrubbers creep me out if I touch them.

Synthetic clothing of any kind feels strange if I wear it. Clothing like synthetic fleece and lycra sports clothing.

Socks made from nylon and other synthetics as well as shoes made from those materials too. Somehow I feel offended by the feel of the stuff.

Touching velcro/mesh/synthetics also makes me feel itchy, my skin feels strange.

Last edited:
Even the slightest amount of tin or aluminum foil that inadvertently comes in contact with my mouth and teeth are most unpleasant for me.

Any amount of Cyanoacrylate glue on my fingers is also quite unpleasant.

the gastly slime-dripping leftovers of food-things; slushy and soggy, they may be observed lurking hideously in the outlet of a kitchen sink after washing-up. one must not touch this venomous goo under any circumstances.

Slugs, they're totally cute but omg don't touch them or the trail they leave behind them. They're so weird but I love watching them in their natural environment.

Anything that leaves my hands sticky or slimy, ew ew ew. Gloves are your friend.

As far as a dry texture goes I don't think there is one that particularly bothers me.

Lotion, vasoline, or anything that leaves your skin feeling slimy or oily.

Cotton balls. That weird sensation you can almost hear through your finger tips. UGH.

And then there's raw meat. I can't deal with touching raw meat.

My little girl is profoundly disturbed by the texture of onions. Of course, she doesn't like to eat them, but also she really gets bothered by handling them too. She says they are too squishy and slimy. I don't think it's just a food preference.

I can pick up worms now that I am grown.
When I was little I was afraid of them.
I am not afraid of them now.
I pick them up and move them if they are in unfortunate spots.

I'd rather not pick up a frog.
I don't want to hurt the frog.
They are so squishy/vulnerable.

I can touch snakes.

Things I don't want to touch:
dead guys (people/animals)
I have to talk out loud about it, when I need to move a dead animal.
Wearing gloves is a defense.

I can stand to shake hands with live people, but I'd rather not.
When I have to shake hands with someone, I want to wash my hand
as soon as possible to get rid of the gray feeling. The gray feeling
is all over me, not on my hand.

I can tolerate these things, {dead/handshake} but prefer not to.

I also can't stand sticky or slimy hands, and I have to wash my hands straight after a messy meal or event. I'm ok while eating, just about though.

And finding the last person to drive your car left the steering wheel all sticky with food residue, and you don't realise until your driving!

What is wrong with these people!

Funny about worms and slugs, I think I can handle that these days, but couldn't as a child. I've never picked up a dead thing with my hand, apart from food.

I hate wet towels left in the kitchen sink, and the wet plastic shower curtain that billows inwards and touches me during my shower...HATE that! Have threatened to rip it out on several occasions!

Velour is awful. Wet leftover food is disgusting. But nothing is as debilitatingly uncomfortable as wet plastics or cottons....just.....EWWWWWW

O, and I can't touch animal scales either. No snakes, no fish, nothing. I have to wear a glove to take a fish off the hook when fishing.

I can pick up worms now that I am grown.
When I was little I was afraid of them.
I am not afraid of them now.
I pick them up and move them if they are in unfortunate spots.

I'd rather not pick up a frog.
I don't want to hurt the frog.
They are so squishy/vulnerable.

I can touch snakes.

Things I don't want to touch:
dead guys (people/animals)
I have to talk out loud about it, when I need to move a dead animal.
Wearing gloves is a defense.

I can stand to shake hands with live people, but I'd rather not.
When I have to shake hands with someone, I want to wash my hand
as soon as possible to get rid of the gray feeling. The gray feeling
is all over me, not on my hand.

I can tolerate these things, {dead/handshake} but prefer not to.
Oooh shaking hands totally irks me, people are sweaty and gross on their hands and I can't stand that. I much prefer the Japanese customs of not shaking hands, lol.

Customers that want to hold my hand, "come on dude, really?" x-x Hand holding is for highschoolers, lmao.

Flour, dirt, foam, velvety clothing or material, sponges, meat, skin to skin, pretty much everything that shouldn't be on my skin. Makes my skin crawl I feel like I need to immediately to wash until I'm satisfied it's all off. I grew up on a farm with horses and other animals so getting covered in dirt was pretty much unavoidable and you can't just keep washing no matter how much you hate it, plus I loved the horses more than I hated dirt so I've learnt to tolerate it. But I can't tolerate the rest. Oh and certain food textures that are either slimy, powdery, or fluffy like peaches or apricots, or that feeling on fruit when you wash fruit in vinegar.

Last edited:
The texture of falafel (at least I think that was a falafel) as well as a type of cross-woven mat, not sure what it's made of, just some hard and brittle type of material.

Velvet fabric. It's just too soft... Makes me feel uncomfortable, and tingly.

Certain cotton balls have the same effect on me. And some microfiber towels.

I like fuzzy/feathery/furry soft but anything velvety is just awful.

I could never stand anything stiff and scratchy to the touch. Clothes are my real problem. If there is even one little stiff thread I'll feel it. Labels forget it. Must remove every piece. Lace or elastic, no way. The material must be soft with some stretch. Don't like shaking hands either, but can if I must. I keep my hair short as it makes me feel really itchy if it touches my skin. Of course there are so many things I can't stand the texture of in food. Too many to list. Don't like red foods except for a fresh tomatoe.

Microfibre feels awful to touch, as does brushed silk (not the smooth satin type) but the one that has a soft velvety sheen to it.
Can't stand scratchy wool, rayon or scuba material. Or any stiff and inflexible fabric.

Polystyrene foam gives me the jibbers, and I hate having wet or sticky hands.

I too feel compelled to wash my hands after shaking hands with someone.

I don't care for gluggy food. Chia is gross, porridge, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom