• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there some good definitions of ASD and Asperger's?

Well... no. There used to be Aspergers and autism. Then the DSM-V changed all that, rolling Asperger's into autism and then tightened the definition.

Autism Spectrum Diagnosis according to DSM-5:

• Persistent Deficits in Social Communication / Interaction Across Multiple Contexts, Either Currently or by History (all 3 criteria met)

1. Problems initiating & reciprocating social or emotional interaction
    2. Severe problems maintaining relationships
    3. Nonverbal communication problems
  • Restricted, Repetitive Patterns of Behaviors, Interests, or Activities, Either Currently or By History (2 of 4 criteria met)
  1. Stereotyped/repetitive speech, motor movements/use of objects
  2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal/nonverbal behavior / excessive resistance to change
  3. Highly restricted interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus
  4. Hyper/hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment
  • Symptoms Must Be Present In The Early Developmental Period

• Symptoms Cause Clinically Significant Impairment In Social, Occupational, or Other Important Areas of Functioning

• Severity Levels are Measured – Based on Level of Support Needed
  1. Level 1 - requiring support
  2. Level 2 - requiring substantial support
  3. Level 3 - requiring very substantial support
  • New Diagnostic Category – Social Communication Disorder (SCD)
What is Autism and the New DSM-5

The new category of Social Communication Disorder- which used to be considered part of Asperger's - is basically autism without the "Restricted, Repetitive Patterns of Behaviors, Interests, or Activities." I don't think a lot of shrinkological professionals know about it.

Diagnostic Criteria for Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder: Learn About Autism: Indiana Resource Center for Autism: Indiana University Bloomington

The ICD-10 still keeps it as a separate classification:

"Asperger's syndrome (as) is an autism spectrum disorder. It is milder than autism but shares some of its symptoms. It is more common in boys than in girls. An obsessive interest in a single subject is a major symptom of as. Some children with as have become experts on dinosaurs, makes and models of cars, even objects as seemingly odd as vacuum cleaners. Their expertise, high level of vocabulary, and formal speech patterns make them seem like little professors. Children with as have trouble reading social cues and recognizing other people's feelings. They may have strange movements or mannerisms. All of these make it difficult for them to make friends. Problems with motor skills are also common in children with as. They may be late learning to ride a bike or catch a ball, for example. Treatment focuses on the three main symptoms: poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness."

2021 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code F84.5: Asperger's syndrome

Not that I've seen. Here's a really terrible one for ASD from dictionary.com:

any of various disorders, as autism and Asperger syndrome, commonly manifesting in early childhood and characterized by impaired social or communication skills, repetitive behaviors, or a restricted range of interests.

No! The ASD diagnosis was adopted because in most cases there is no specific "disorder". And if you don't already know what the traits look like, these words won't explain much. I googled the subject and the first entry was a very thorough description: NIMH » Autism Spectrum Disorder. Unfortunately, definitions which try to be concise are not going to describe much of the spectrum.

I believe Tony Attwood has said that no clinical definition is entirely accurate. I don’t have the exact quote, and it may be out of date. But his Complete Guide to Aspergers is a pretty good place to start.
If you are in the USA or under a doctor who uses the DSM 5, Aspergers is now considered part of ASD. Anywhere else uses the ICD definition.
You may also consider reading The Discovery of Aspie Criteria.

Last edited:
Asperger's is not longer a diagnosis, as other have pointed out. In the US which uses DSM-5, there is only Autism Spectrum Disorder, which is sub-divided into three levels of support, with level 1 needed the least support. I think Europe uses Autism Spectrum Condition and uses ICD criteria.

I find the clinical criteria, DSM or ICD, the best way to think about autism as there is such a variety in presentation. And with the variety in individuals and the number of conditions that are co-morbid with ASD, those criteria helps to clarify what is in the ASD bucket and what is not.

New Threads

Top Bottom