• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are the Forums Usually Dead Around the Holidays?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
So, I'm asking this because Thanksgiving day is tomorrow, and a ton of people on here are hanging out with their families and stuff, but I didn't expect the site to be THIS inactive last week and this week. Heck, I oftentimes use the time I have during break to catch up on what has happened during the time I was doing my schoolwork both on this site, but also on my Discord. Lol. Anyways, have any of the non-staff, or even staff members noticed a pattern with low activity around the holidays, and then an increase to normal activity after the holidays? It would make more sense for the staff to notice this, since they have the charts and graphs for the site's stats, so, does this kinda thing always happen often?

Thanksgiving in November is
a holiday in the United States of America,
not world wide.

I don't know what you're expecting as far as activity,
but last week and this week have not been inactive,
as far as I have seen.

So, I'm asking this because Thanksgiving day is tomorrow, and a ton of people on here are hanging out with their families and stuff, but I didn't expect the site to be THIS inactive last week and this week. Heck, I oftentimes use the time I have during break to catch up on what has happened during the time I was doing my schoolwork both on this site, but also on my Discord. Lol. Anyways, have any of the non-staff, or even staff members noticed a pattern with low activity around the holidays, and then an increase to normal activity after the holidays? It would make more sense for the staff to notice this, since they have the charts and graphs for the site's stats, so, does this kinda thing always happen often?
I don't see an apparent trend, I only see a normal ebb and flow of users over time.

A forum is like a living and breathing entity that is in a constant state of transformation.

User posting stats from January 2010 until present:
posting stats.JPG

We've already had our thanksgiving in Canada on October 8th. So members outside of the United States will likely be around.

Imagine in the buildup to the holidays in general, people have less time. Yet there are hills and valleys when it comes to site activity.

It's all relative to the times you log on. Keeping in mind that this is an international forum, not dependent on any one nationality, or their time zones or the consideration of individual holidays they may involve.

Because there is a large proportion of US members it's logical to think it might get a little quiet around Thanksgiving, but as pointed out, it won't be Thanksgiving anywhere outside the US. Add to that there are some members here who don't have people in their lives to share it with or are avoiding such gatherings so in terms of numbers it could well be business as usual on here.
Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans out there though :)
If anyone's got a killer Sweet Potato Pie recipe, post it up btw. Never tried it but I'm curious and there's thousands of recipes online - don't know which to choose :eek:

No. At Ieast I have not found this forum dead with big holidays on. In fact, the opposite due to expectations from family members.

I am so glad and relieved, because of not celebrating world holidays.

I've kind of thought that it's been...
lull-ish, here in the last week-and-a-half,
or so, so I've been "stretching out",
looking for activity in the forums,
visiting older threads,
and watching my news-feed and
"recent activity".

I've said similar before, and I'll say it again:
You are by far the most interesting, intelligent, friendly, and welcoming people I've ever known.

This forum, and "all o' yinz";), are of
significant importance, in my life.

I hope that all of our american members
enjoy the holiday, and that everyone else
is doing well(or, "relatively neato", as
George Carlin would say!).

May you all be well.

sidd
:)

Last edited:
I've never understood what people do on holidays that makes them busy for so long. Isn't Thanksgiving just a day of the year where you don't get to pick what you eat?

It's been very busy here lately, in my opinion!

I'm in California, and it's least busy when it's night, like 7-10pm and most busy in the middle of the night, when I'm asleep. What does this mean?

I joined in February so I haven't been around for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Still I found things a little slow today but it isn't something I haven't seen before around here.

I've never understood what people do on holidays that makes them busy for so long. Isn't Thanksgiving just a day of the year where you don't get to pick what you eat?

It's been very busy here lately, in my opinion!

I'm in California, and it's least busy when it's night, like 7-10pm and most busy in the middle of the night, when I'm asleep. What does this mean?
I've noticed about the same(adjusted
for time differential) "slowness" that
you observe. It's easily explained by looking at relative times in other zones, and the concentrations of members in them.
(Darn, I feel worldly just having said that!)
:);):cool:

On the contrary, Aspie specific forums tend to be busier on Christmas Day itself, because people don't want to interact with family so they lock themselves away posting on here, Wrong Planet etc.

Well I'd imagine some do, I just spend all day playing Xbox.

I'm here but not posting much because I'm very stressed, and I'm probably not great at giving rational and reasonable replies to serious discussions this week.
I think it will be the same, for me, over Christmas. I will read and rate posts, though; and I'll contribute to the discussion when I can. :)

Last edited:
Out here it depends more on whether the weather is bad. Storm = outages. No power = no internet. Frontier Communications doesn't make any effort to maintain services in this state. Five counties have been without internet and phone, including emergency services, for several days this week even though the weather has been clear. Repair crews aren't sent out on weekends or holidays.

I believe a problem with this forum's activity is that there are not enough thread starters. Personally 90% of my posts anywhere are replies. I rarely start threads. But I should start contributing more.

I believe a problem with this forum's activity is that there are not enough thread starters. Personally 90% of my posts anywhere are replies. I rarely start threads. But I should start contributing more.
Yeah, Ezra.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Whaddya say we tag-team this?

New Threads

Top Bottom