• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are series and movies representation of autism realistic?

CharmedSky

Embarrassing confession: pretty much every series/movie crush have, has autism or Aspergers for some reason.

Like Shaun from The Good Doctor, Spencer from Criminal Minds, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, Christian from The Accountant.

I was wondering if their portrayals are realistic. I know the severity of autism differs per person, but I was wondering if it is possible.

I feel like they get some aspects of Autism perfectly and discard the attributes they feel would be detrimental to the popularity of the show. While this is obviously not good for many reasons, I totally understand their decision to do that, whether it's entirely conscious or not.

Right now the only ones that really stand out for me would be the tv series "The Good Doctor" for both classic autism and how they often depict NTs, and the two films, "Snow Cake" (classic autism) and "Mozart and the Whale" (ASD).

No. Most characters who have been defined as autistic are not realistic at all. That's why TV Tropes refers to it as "Hollywood Autism". Autistic people are frequently shown as savants, or "idiot savants", a highly outdated label, or "magically disabled", and they are nearly always a male child. It's rare that their lives are shown as being as fulfilling as that of an NT, or fulfilling at all. But the two most inaccurate films of autistic people would have to be I Am Autism and Autism Every Day, both by Autism Speaks. The latter is a short documentary of parents saying how horrible it is to have autistic children while their kids are misbehaving (actually, before the documentary was filmed the parents were told to discontinue any medications or therapies that were helping their kids to show what they're "really like",which is child abuse), and in one part a mom says she wanted to kill her daughter and herself but didn't only because she had another kid who is "normal". She says this with barely any obvious emotion, and in front of her daughter, and if you look closely you can tell she understands what her mom just said even though she's non-verbal. And people wonder why I hate A$ so much and get depressed when I see their commercials on TV.:mad:

Nope. I’ve rarely seen a representation I found to be accurate. The only exception I can think of is the male lead from Mozart and the Whale, which @Judge already mentioned. I didn’t think as highly of the female lead role though, I feel like that one missed the mark.

Most characters with autism on TV are very much exaggerated, or only pick and choose bits of autism to serve a purpose for the story.

The few I have seen had NT actors portraying autistics and were not realistic.

Although I understand people's desire to have accurate representations of various things, I think part of the problem is how many people, consciously or unconsciously, use movies and television as their reference for reality. I know it's hard for young people not to do that, being impressionable and all, but I often hear children reference something they believe to be an aspect of reality that is clearly a fabrication from the media. If people were somehow taught going in that everything they are about to see in any form of media is not to be adopted as their world-view, then a lot of the problem would be solved. I watch very little of anything, so it's easy for me to say, but I think the expectation of reality in an entertainment medium is, ironically, unrealistic.

Since ASD covers such a broad spectrum, I couldn't definitively say, "There's no one in the real world who matches that portrayal." Perhaps the writers could even be justified in cherry-picking attributes. e.g., for The Good Doctor, they may say, "This guy is a medical genius." Okay, that's easily believable within the autism spectrum. No eye contact? Okay, I'll allow it. No understanding of social complexities? Well, maybe. My thinking is that, if you can work out the complex rules of medical stuff, you might also be able to work out at least some rules of social interactions (I mean, I have, even though everything social I do reduces to a logic matrix or flowchart in my head). Eventually, their particular dramatic collection of convenient and heartstring-tugging symptoms and behaviors may strain credibility.

But my knee-jerk answer is, no, movie and TV portrayal of [absolutely everything] is inaccurate.

Of course, everyone knows that car physics works differently in Hollywood than in the rest of the universe.

I have always bristled at how Hollywood hackers can write complex programs in minutes, or sometimes seconds, and never write any bugs. I once asked a lawyer if Hollywood got legal stuff just as wrong - I wish I could convey the amount of eyerolling and complaining I got. Yep, Hollywood gets legal stuff wrong, too.

Trust them to get autism right? No, my money's on the other side.

@Nervous Rex I wish working in a hospital was more like it’s portrayed in TV shows. I would have had so many hookups with all of my super sexy coworkers, all of whom would look perfect all the time.
Of course, there would also be a lot more bombs in body cavities and freak accidents involving my coworkers.
But hey, hardly any paperwork!

The closest I've seen to a depiction of an AS/HFA character that I would recognise on a TV screen is Saga Norén in the Danish/Swedish series Bron/Broen (The Bridge). It's never explicitly stated that the character is autistic but she comes across in a way that reminds me strongly of a few autistic women I've had contact with.

No, but I wouldn't really expect them to. Even as a person on the autism spectrum myself, I'm always learning something new about it.

Have any of you seen Atypical on Netflix? It's cute

I've only been aware of two people in my life that have autism (me & a kid I knew), plus the stories of you all I read here. But my impression of shows like Atypical is that there is a grab-bag phenomenon of traits they cram into the character, some of which I can see in myself, some of which breaks credibility for me. But I do like the show.

They're probably not very accurate because they rely on stereotypes to showcase the character as "autistic", there are many of us who act pretty normal and no one would be able to tell: Hence the eternal exclamation "But, you don't look autistic!".

I was quite taken with the detective Saga Noren in the Danish/Swedish production of The Bridge. It wasn't explicitly spelled out that she was autistic from the start, but you felt her isolation and pain at not understanding why things weren't easy and didn't make sense. Before I was diagnosed I related to her character a lot.

The autism was exaggerated, but I guess, the thing with movies is, that it needs that extra flare to have the contrast.

Last edited:
Just thinking about this topic - the acclaimed actor Sir Anthony Hopkins has an AS diagnosis, but I don't think I've ever seen him play an autistic character.

I'm going to say no, they portray all of the likeable quirks and rarely any of the true challenges we face. Then again, a lot of it would be hard to portray and nobody would want to watch if they did. :(
It really kind of bothers me when movies/TV influence how people view autism. Basically people either thing we are babbling, flapping, jumping, skipping, idiots, or Rainman. There is no in between. It is very detrimental to the disorder. In my opinion.

It's mostly sensationalism for TV purposes. It's fine to have your crushes due to certain people being attracted to certain traits as long as you don't cross a line into fetishizing the community.

Just thinking about this topic - the acclaimed actor Sir Anthony Hopkins has an AS diagnosis, but I don't think I've ever seen him play an autistic character.

Not officially, anyways.

However....did you see him play "Van Helsing" in "Bram Stoker's Dracula" ?

About the only role where I might think, "Hmmmmmm."

New Threads

Top Bottom