• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Legos hard?

I was not really good at puzzles as a kid. As I got older though, they got easier. I spent a lot of time alone teaching myself how to really look at the pieces and think about how the shapes went together. Same thing for lego sets, I had to teach myself how to interpret the 2D directions into the 3d shape.

That said, one of the aspects of the brain is spatial reasoning, mine is pretty good naturally even if it took practice. Other people, just don't have it. This is a normal variation for humans and I don't think is particularly associated with ASD.

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_visualization_ability

Take a test (this one is really hard): https://www.123test.com/spatial-reasoning-test/

Edit: Legos, especially the sets, can contain small pieces that can require fine motor skills to assemble. Even when I understood what to do, I sometimes had trouble with actual assembly because my fine motor skills are not great and take a lot of patience.

Last edited:
I don't think so, they came with an instruction manual which shows how to build them step by step

I was not really good at puzzles as a kid. As I got older though, they got easier. I spent a lot of time alone teaching myself how to really look at the pieces and think about how the shapes went together. Same thing for lego sets, I had to teach myself how to interpret the 2D directions into the 3d shape.

That said, one of the aspects of the brain is spatial reasoning, mine is pretty good naturally even if it took practice. Other people, just don't have it. This is a normal variation for humans and I don't think is particularly associated with ASD.

wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_visualization_ability

Take a test (this one is really hard): https://www.123test.com/spatial-reasoning-test/

Edit: Legos, especially the sets, can contain small pieces that can require fine motor skills to assemble. Even when I understood what to do, I sometimes had trouble with actual assembly because my fine motor skills are not great and take a lot of patience.
I got two out of ten correct for the test.

I know this special Lego set and I Do a lot of Lego buildings. But Wall-E IS CHALLENGING!! Especially because it's a set that demands you Not only to Build vertically and horizontally so it's Not that easy. The Tower Bridge i.e is much easier. The Sidney opera is hard because (as in your set) you really have to overcome the normal Lego tecnique

for me lego is hard because i just like to build generic towers in a colour co ordinated order it makes me feel calm and its been my routine since my first lego as a child,my parents thought it was a waste but to me it wasnt.
i cant follow the instructions booklet that comes with lego,to many 'steps'.

Funny I was thinking of sharing that link with you some weeks ago.

The smaller sets let 100 pieces shouldn't be hard to put together.

The larger sets with 1000's of pieces can be a challenge. When I work on these types of sets, sometimes I can be off with the alignment in the middle of building. When I need to combined two different modules that don't fit, I need to take apart things to find out where I want wrong and then resume building.

One thing I do like about the larger sets now, the bags Lego comes in haves numbers. Bag one for example would be pieces you use for the first 20 pages. Bag two for pages 21-40, etc.

I know this special Lego set and I Do a lot of Lego buildings. But Wall-E IS CHALLENGING!! Especially because it's a set that demands you Not only to Build vertically and horizontally so it's Not that easy. The Tower Bridge i.e is much easier. The Sidney opera is hard because (as in your set) you really have to overcome the normal Lego tecnique
As a experience person working with Lego and me reviewing this site online, I can agree with you that set is challenging. It would be neat to add a motor inside and have the infrared remote comes from LEGO® Power Functions.

I used to build the same darn thing over and over again (a basic house) and I have no imagination when it comes to playing Legos with my kids. I can do 2-D puzzles just fine, but as soon as 3-D of anything comes into play, nope! My brain simply cannot understand it. I can't create things unless there are very clear step by step instructions. My dad pushed me into engineering when I went to college and despite being a straight A student my whole life, I failed miserably.

"Are LEGOs hard?"

Yes, yes they are so don't step on them. They will cut your foot!

Take it from a guy who grew up on LEGOs, they aren't difficult to get into because the instructions are step-by-step. Solving a puzzle is nothing like following LEGO instructions. Here are the basic tips to help you:

Pay attention. You have to use your eyes to see what each step wants you to do. Get to know the colors and shapes. When I built LEGOs there were little to no written instructions; it's all just pictures. It will help teach you to use your eyes critically and not rely on others to tell you what to do.

Stay organized. Don't try to build a kit in the backseat of a moving car or in a room that you can't see the floor. You will drop a piece eventually; you'll want to be able to find it. Don't scatter LEGOs even after you are done; find a place to put them so you don't lose pieces.

Don't get overwhelmed. It's an illustration to teach people of all ages, colors and genders the importance of tackling a difficult task one step at a time. You aren't trying to go from nothing to finished product in one flash of thought. You will learn the perspective of taking things in steps. It's a much better brain activity than any puzzle.

Don't get frustrated. You will miss things when starting out; don't panic, just go backwards. It's a learning toy, not raising a child or open heart surgery. This will teach you to gain a "chill" perspective on the mistakes in life that you can fix if you keep your head straight.

Build up difficulty. The best part of LEGOs for new users is that difficulty ramps up with price. Start with the kits under $20 and work your way up. Just like any activity that demands focus and skill, you get better with practice and you don't learn to swim by diving into the deep ocean. Respect the skill that LEGOs grants by not buying a serious kit (like the one you posted) as your first attempt. If it proves too hard, it's not LEGO's fault.

Have fun! Seriously, as long as you don't step on them or leave them for someone to choke on them, there's really few ways to go wrong with LEGOs.

I would consider ChurchTheArtist giving the best advice for this thread.

Even me building a simple 150 pieces, I was frustrated in the middle as I thought a piece was missing. I was also stuck during the middle of building. After a few minutes I decided to relax. I did found the piece when I was calm. I was also able to work out the part I was stuck on.

I did learn building on a glossy table was a bad idea as pieces can slide too easily. I decided I will buy a table cloth at the dollar store to prevent this next build.

The below image gives you an idea what LEGO instructions is like

91dcf78c95c65152a3b6081c786734c2.jpg

I'll have to find a more simple set that I like. That isn't the WALL-E one, since that one is too difficult for a beginner.
I thought of an idea. You can take a look at the instructions of the set you want to get below. There is 178 steps to build WALL-E .
http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/6146259.pdf

If you wanted to start with an easier set, I would recommend the Lego Technic line because most of the pieces used for the WALL-E is based on Lego Technic line. I would try something like this as it only 155 pieces. It only cost $13 on Amazon if you search for LEGO Technic Cherry Picker.

71Lo3uq4MwL._SL1160_.jpg

One more piece of advice, if I may. Don't let pride keep you from buying a set marked "for children" or something. No matter what your age, you will always be someone's child anyway! Just buy the simpler set and use it to learn with. That way you get experience (and besides, sometimes the stuff for kids is more fun anyway!).

My family loves legos and has been building with them for years. The only problems we every have with them is losing the pieces and sometimes if you want to take pieces apart, it takes a lot of effort. Those things stick together very well!

If I could afford it I'd buy stuff like the Police and Fire Station sets to build myself, but even on eBay they're going for £60 plus, I don't have that kind of money.

New Threads

Top Bottom