• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ARE ASPIES SENTIMENTAL?

Grumpy Cat

Me as NT girl find myself very sentimental as I like when I receive things from people where they have put a lot of time or thought into the gift. I'm wondering if I'm more sentimental because I'm an NT or because I'm a woman or maybe both. Are Aspies sentimental?
(If you answer this thread please say if you are Aspie or NT and whether you are a male or female.)

While I can appreciate (most) gifts, I don't think I'm that sentimental. I don't add a lot of value to things I suppose.

I don't know if it's something exclusive to NT's or females, since from my understanding aspie females can put quite some sentimental value on things.. I wouldn't know about aspie males, it's never really been a topic with any of my friends.

(I guess it should be clear but; aspie male, heh.

ASD guy: not in the slightest.

I'm guessing NT rather than gender given the behaviour of my father and brother.

I can only say that I am sentimental, but only in an inward way. Things can mean a great deal to me and move me emotionally.

However I tend to keep such things to myself, and may subsequently appear like a cold fish unless you know a great deal about me. And I don't make that very easy for people unless I sense they sincerely want to know me more.

I can be very sentimental at times. Everything I have has attached memories.

Diagnosed Aspie / level one autism.

Last edited:
I'm a aspie male. I am very sentimental about certain things. There are so few times where I was truly at peace in the universe, or really having a good day that I try to remember those times because of how tough every other day is. So a song on the radio or sometimes a breeze will blow across my face in a way that will remind me of those happy times.

I'm only 35 years old, was married for 12 years, and now been divorced for little over a year. While married, we traveled to 35 states, lived in New York, Florida, & Alaska. Most of my marriage was pretty good & we had quite a few adventures. Having a partner to help me through tough times & share good times means a lot to me. Even though it got to the point where she couldn't be happy being around an aspie, I don't blame her for that, I can tell it was hard on her & I'll always love her for putting up with me as long as she did, being sentimental about all that helps me as I attempt single living.

Being so sentimental about that time in my life reminds me I did have it good for a little while, and even though it's a daily struggle keeping it together being alone, it gives me hope one day I can find someone else to share some more happy times with.

I can only say that I am sentimental, but only in an inward way. Things can mean a great deal to me and move me emotionally.

However I tend to keep such things to myself, and may subsequently appear like a cold fish unless you know a great deal about me. And I don't make that very easy for people unless I sense they sincerely want to know me more.

Is that because you think being sentimental is "girly"?

While I can appreciate (most) gifts, I don't think I'm that sentimental. I don't add a lot of value to things I suppose.

I don't know if it's something exclusive to NT's or females, since from my understanding aspie females can put quite some sentimental value on things.. I wouldn't know about aspie males, it's never really been a topic with any of my friends.

(I guess it should be clear but; aspie male, heh.

The "King" does kind of give it away I suppose. :)

Self-diagnosed AS Female: I'm pretty sentimental. I used to be worse, but have learned to control myself a bit better, haha :p

Is that because you think being sentimental is "girly"?

Things that have great significance to me aren't easily shared with others. Mostly due to the fact that I am a very solitary person by nature and that I exist with a small orbit of people who in many cases wouldn't care or don't even remember.

Gender has nothing to do with it. Keeping certain thoughts to myself is who I am, and I've done so for a very long time. That's all.

Last edited:
I would have to know the precise definition that we are using for the word "sentimental" before I could answer this question.

I am extremely sentimental, but this is not directed to or merely in relation to material things, they are only a proxy, symbols for what I associate with them. Much of my sentimentality is not associated with tangible objects but gestures within the realm of all senses and modalities (emotional, cognitive...). This is because things (in the abstract, not literal) really matter to me in the quiet circles of my heart. I suppose nobody could accuse me of being shallow. Ironically enough, this character trait of mine also spells my doom. Life is Théâtre de l'Absurde.

And I should also point out that it is also subject to variables. When someone gives me a gift and it's clearly an insincere token, I attach no significance to it, I can be polite. Yet I am that type of person who, when given a freshly plucked dandelion half already gone to seed, from someone who genuinely values me, I treasure it. Or even a look, or a word. A gesture. There are no boundaries in that respect. I can relate to Judge, too, in a way, as sometimes I am so overcome by the meaning of even the simplest things, that I can't express my feelings in the moment. That's often gone over like a lead balloon, I tend to ruin special moments as my silence or stammering or whatever is oft misinterpreted and perceived in the most negative of lights.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is, I'm probably bloody impossible. But very sentimental at it.

Last edited:
I'm very sentimental, to the point of having to fight an inherited hoarding tendency. But having a thing given to me isn't what makes it sentimental to me. Usually it's because it's attached to a memory of some kind: an experience, a person, a place.

When people give me gifts, only rarely does it really resonate with me as something I want to keep "forever". I may keep it because I feel like I might hurt the other person's feelings if I throw it away, but the item itself doesn't usually hold much significance for me (there are exceptions, though).

I go through cycles...there are times when I have to hold onto everything, I guess because I'm afraid I'll forget memories...and there are times when I get brutal and start throwing out all kinds of junk.

ETA: female aspie

I am not sentimental and if someone gives me something I have to think about a way of getting them something of the same value or greater in return to feel safe. And I always take a pragmatic insight rather than how much effort someone has put into it. I don't say it's good but it requires a lot of strenght to say: ooh thank you I didn't expect it but I like it so much! (When I neither like nor gonna use it cause it's just to display).

Female, self-diagnosed Aspie.

My sentimentality is directly related to the person giving the gift (if I don't find it nifty and want to keep it regardless), but I do have enough graciousness to be polite and thoughtful when it's presented. I don't think autism has affected much of my sentimentality, I'm only mildly more so than most of my family, both the men and women.

This is going to sound terrible, but I really hate getting gifts I don't like/want/need. I tell everyone that if they don't know what to give me, just give me flowers, wine or chocolates (can't go wrong there). I have extremely hard time getting rid of things I got from people I love even if I don't like the item. Even receiving a thing I don't like makes me feel terribly guilty. I feel quite attached to items in general, regardless of whether they have emotional value or not. Plants are even worse. I feel so bad if they wither. I guess I'm fairly sentimental. Supposedly NT, female.

New Threads

Top Bottom