• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Aspies more vulnerable to hypnotic suggestion?

Just a guess, I would say less vulnerable to hypnotic suggestion. Because we tend to question everything, ponder, analyze....not just do something because we are told to. Or maybe that is just me...

l need to be hypothesized to become a cleaning nutjob, like obsessively, then l go into a business for myself. @Wolf Prince - what would you be hypothesized for? Purely hypothetical of course.

My first thought was also that it'd be less.

I'd be like, "Am I hypnotized? Would I know it if I were? Should I pretend to be? Will they feel bad if I'm not? Can I even pretend? I don't know know what it's like. They'd probably know. I shouldn't pretend. What do I do then? I guess I have to say it didn't work. I'll apologize too. Should I tip? I already paid so much, was tip included? I'll probably feel bad and tip. But how much do I tip? 15%? Do I even have cash on me? I'll just tip whatever I have on me."

I use hypnosis for self help very often.
Using tapes or self hypnosis that my cousin who was a psychologist taught me,
I easily know how to get into the trance/hypnotic alpha state where I can totally relax.
At that point, I use affirmations for positive emotional achievements.

I'd say it depends on whether you want to be in the hypnotic wave for some purpose or not
as it can easily be rejected if you resist. Goes for both NTs and NDs.

I happen to know an autistic hypnotist whom I've discussed this with. Apparently it depends on the method used to induce a trance. Some methods we're about even with everyone else, others we're less susceptible. Overall the numbers would suggest we're less susceptible, but when you break it down into techniques the reason for the numbers becomes more apparent.

l need to be hypothesized to become a cleaning nutjob, like obsessively, then l go into a business for myself. @Wolf Prince - what would you be hypothesized for? Purely hypothetical of course.

Mostly i was curious about others. Ive seen some methods that worked. As for myself well i probably wouldn't do it. Even hypothetical. Might let out something you dont wont out.

I saw 2 different hypnotherapists in my 30s during efforts to give up smoking. Neither could put me under, both I ended up creased up with laughter. One got really offended, the other said "Fair enough, it doesn't work for everyone" and waived her fee.

My first thought was also that it'd be less.

I'd be like, "Am I hypnotized? Would I know it if I were? Should I pretend to be? Will they feel bad if I'm not? Can I even pretend? I don't know know what it's like. They'd probably know. I shouldn't pretend. What do I do then? I guess I have to say it didn't work. I'll apologize too. Should I tip? I already paid so much, was tip included? I'll probably feel bad and tip. But how much do I tip? 15%? Do I even have cash on me? I'll just tip whatever I have on me."
ROTFL....that is exactly what i would be thinking!!! LOL

Tbh, I am not sure hypnosis is actually real. I have not seen it in any form personally. I wonder if it is like professional wrestling.

I think we'd be less so. Don't you have to make eye contact with the hypnotist? Isn't hypnosis just a bunch of pseudoscience? I did hear that contrary to the movies, people can't really be hypnotized to do something that is against their will, like murder someone. Of course, a person might not want to cluck like a chicken for the amusement of others either, but if they thought it was okay because no one was watching them...

New Threads

Top Bottom