• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are animals and children attracted to you?

Jimbo

I just recently figured out I was an aspie so I am looking back at my life and realizing how many things are a part of this aspergers thing. I know it may be a strange question but it crossed my mind that animals and children have always been attracted to me for some reason that I could never figure out. Anybody else experience this?

Yes, but they are also attracted to NT family members. My father and brothers are sweet-looking and like to play with children, so it makes sense.

Count me in. Probably why I always seem to get along with the g/f's kids.

Animals even more so. They seem to know I'm a friend- not a foe.

Except maybe for the raccoon I once encountered while emptying the garbage into a dumpster. His body language was pretty easy to read...so I skedaddled. :p

yeah. I don't mind attracting animals, but kids...idk why they like me. I'm stand off ish towards them and I don't like them lol

Never really thought about it, but you are right, I do attract animals and children for some reason. Last year when I met my niece for the first time, she ran up to me to hug me while laughing and smiling. It shocked both my brother and his wife because they said that she has never done that to anyone else, she usually is scared or shy. Another one was my ex gf's baby sister (my ex was 18 at the time but her sister was only 2 years old), I she used to cry for me to come say goodnight to her almost every night, and I have no idea why. I didn't do anything special except hang around, I still don't know why she became so attached to me.

I remember my probably-Aspie best friend and I being in a room when someone came in with their kid, a three year old. I knew this person, the father of the kid. The father had to do some work in this room, and kids weren't allowed, so I offered to babysit for a little. The boy and I went on some walks, and I drew pictures for him, etc. He liked me so much. He was also really fascinated by my friend, but in a different way. He was a little bit scared.intimidated by him, but truly truly fascinated. On the return from one of our walks, he stood their staring at my friend who was busy doing some work on a computer. My friend looked over and gave a nod of his head as acknowledgement/saying hello to the boy. The little kid whispered really loudly to me in awestruck tones "He looked at me!"

I like when animals come up to me, but i wish birds and squirrels would to. I tend to be scary/stand-offish when a child comes up to me

Yeah, but I'm scared of both, so I need to have some time to adjusts myself to them. Children really like to hug me and I not like to do that but well, they are little and happy and that stuff.

I haven't ever really given it much thought before, but now that I think about it, yes, they do seem drawn to me for some reason, possibly because I am short and not as threatening/intimidating as many men are. One of the most magical experiences that I've had in my life was when I had sat down to rest on a fallen tree after going for a long walk into the woods. I had been sitting there quietly for a few minutes and a young deer came right up to me walked over the log I was sitting on and just looked at me with her big deer eyes for a long while. I could have reached out and touched her, but I didn't move as I didn't want to scare her away. Finally she just calmly walk on.

Children stare incessantly at me. I've never met an animal that didn't like me. I attribute that to a lack of instinctive fear. I can also tell aggressive/large dogs what to do. I issue a command and they obey like I'm dialed right into their brain. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the confidence of the command. I'm not sure.

I certainly find that I gravitate towards children and animals - they are a welcome relief from convoluted adult interactions - but I'm usually absolutely clueless as to how to interact with them. I'm very comfortable with my own pets and relatives, however, and we do usually have an easy affinity with each other, but I do tend to struggle with kids and animals who are unfamiliar. With them I find it best to just watch from a distance, but without making them feel uncomfortable.

Yes and yes. It's always bothered me since I don't like kids and I'm not that fond of other people's pets. There have been several occasions where people's shy cats or dogs have sought me out and laid on my lap and their owners are so surprised by it. And then my friends baby who is now a year and a half is mesmerized by me. He's always staring at me and smiles at me constantly. Also random kids in stores and restaurants stare at me too.

Sent from my iPhone using AspiesCentral.com

This topic is so cool! Yes, I find that kids and animals are drawn to me. When out shopping, little kids in the store usually stare at me. A lot of them grin and wave happily when they see me, to the consternation of their mothers, because they wonder what it going on since they don't know me. When out walking, other people's dogs strain at their leash to get to me which I don't like, because while I don't mind the dog it's the owner I don't want to interact with. Even horses have come trotting up to the fence to greet me. It is weird but nice, I guess!

New Threads

Top Bottom