• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are all of you hopeless romantics?

Not a romantic bone in my body, as I believe the saying goes!

I cannot deal with romance for me personally; find it rather repulsive in some instances, but do get why it is important, so understand it is my undoing that I am not like it.

Dictionary.com

"a person with lofty, sentimental, idealistic views on life and love. It’s been used as a noun since the early 1800s. Hopeless characterizes the person as “incorrigible” or beyond the point of changing, suggesting the person knowingly persists in spite of risk, previous failure, or others’ cynicism about the possibility of true love."

In the 1800s the term romantic had a far greater meaning than romantic love. It was an artistic, literary, musical, and intellectual movement that focused on individual feelings and emotions rather than society's expectations. It looked to nature for the definition of good and beauty and not to human institutions.

I was one when I was young. I had my heart handed to me on a platter too many times for it to last. I am still a romantic, just not hopeless about it. A pragmatic romantic, if you will.

Dictionary.com

"a person with lofty, sentimental, idealistic views on life and love. It’s been used as a noun since the early 1800s. Hopeless characterizes the person as “incorrigible” or beyond the point of changing, suggesting the person knowingly persists in spite of risk, previous failure, or others’ cynicism about the possibility of true love.”

Yikes, that sounds like a mental illness, nearly.

I (mostly) recognise when 'romance' is demonstrated and can appreciate the effort and attention to detail involved.

I've lived with the same person for many years so I know what ticks the box for them by way of expressing sentiment.

But I can take it or leave it.
Not bothered one way or the other.
If it all stopped tomorrow, I'd recognise the changes in behaviour & process/routines but I wouldn't feel unloved or insecure.
Like I said, I can take it or leave it.

I'm a sprinter with romance. It will be strong start and really wins people over early in a relationship. Then I tire of it, and make very little effort.

I have noticed that if I had the inclination I'd probably be very successful at being promiscuous. Thankfully I find that sort of behaviour abhorrent.

Ed

At my age, I don't consider myself a hopeless anything. I do not think I could have survived this long if I walked around wearing my heart on my sleeve.

I honestly do not understand the romance involved in rom-coms or any type of film where there is a burgeoning interpersonal relationship at its center, even if it is not the point of the movie.

Thing is though, while I would once never cry at so called heart tugging moments in any film when I was younger, I find myself getting weepy with little provocation nowadays.

Probably just deep seeded regret. lol

Not something I need an answer for, just need to make sure a box of Kleenex is always nearby for those times when tears roll down my cheeks unbidden. Can't explain it, but I will argue that it has nothing to do with romance.

I would offer examples of what I am talking about, but....

Dictionary.com

"a person with lofty, sentimental, idealistic views on life and love. It’s been used as a noun since the early 1800s. Hopeless characterizes the person as “incorrigible” or beyond the point of changing, suggesting the person knowingly persists in spite of risk, previous failure, or others’ cynicism about the possibility of true love."

In the 1800s the term romantic had a far greater meaning than romantic love. It was an artistic, literary, musical, and intellectual movement that focused on individual feelings and emotions rather than society's expectations. It looked to nature for the definition of good and beauty and not to human institutions.

I was one when I was young. I had my heart handed to me on a platter too many times for it to last. I am still a romantic, just not hopeless about it. A pragmatic romantic, if you will.
I absolutely agree since I associate romanticism with the literary movement. I am more inclined to realism, as by the age of 8 was devouring Mark Twain's writings. Twain's famous takedown of romanticism where he pointed out that it prevents one from seeing reality is Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses.

Yes, I do have idealistic impulses as I bend toward justice, but I've found romanticism unappealing.

At my age, I don't consider myself a hopeless anything. I do not think I could have survived this long if I walked around wearing my heart on my sleeve.

I honestly do not understand the romance involved in rom-coms or any type of film where there is a burgeoning interpersonal relationship at its center, even if it is not the point of the movie.

Thing is though, while I would once never cry at so called heart tugging moments in any film when I was younger, I find myself getting weepy with little provocation nowadays.

Probably just deep seeded regret. lol

Not something I need an answer for, just need to make sure a box of Kleenex is always nearby for those times when tears roll down my cheeks unbidden. Can't explain it, but I will argue that it has nothing to do with romance.

I would offer examples of what I am talking about, but....

Hey, I get it.

Hey, I get it.
Well, while I see differences between romanticism and romance, I could easily understand the former but not the latter. This stems from my inability to see emotional communication. However, lately I have been watching some anime dealing with relationships, and, in almost all, emotions are presented so broadly in context that I can understand it. But I need to recognize that this is idealized and not how real people act, but it is a little addicting to understand things that are not understandable for me when I observe them in reality.

I think I like womance.

Especially when looking at the broader/general definitions
"1.
a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
"in search of romance"

a quality or feeling of mystery, excitement, and remoteness from everyday life.
"the beauty and romance of the night"

It's me to like and think about both a lot. The little moments and atmospheres. Hopeless? There's various definitions on that but overall I'm leaning towards yes. Objects count too in a way.

Find doing something together romantic. Enjoy sharing a new experience which seems romantic. Like to express public display or private display of romantic interest, hand holding, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom