• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
For awhile, one thing that I have been thinking about for my future, is becoming a Betta breeder and starting a small business selling Betta fish. I used to own pet Bettas and really liked their intelligence and awareness of us, now, I’m thinking of buying some pet Bettas again and using their waste water, aquaponic-style to water and feed my plants.

Maybe in the future, I’ll buy some shrimp and set up a whole, aquaponic system, but for now, I want to stay with this simple method of recycling the Betta fishes’ waste water. So here I just want to ask, how do I go about recycling fish waste water, how long does the waste water need to sit in order for the bacteria to do their thing, and what else is needed for the water to become safe and nutritious for plants?

I saw a video about it a while back, but the guy was growing fish to eat, so more complicated. I think the main issue would be ph

You don't have to wait for any time period for using your waste aquarium water. The plants will be able to use it immediately. I have had several aquariums over the years, the last one was a 200 gallon planted and balanced,...no mechanical filtration. The waste water always made it to my plants, both indoor and outdoor.

I no longer have my aquariums at my newer home, but I still mix horticultural bacteria, fungi, and organic acids in my plant nutrients. Bacteria, fungi, and organic acids are needed to break down fertilizers and other organic nutrients before the roots can efficiently uptake nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and all the other base elements.

Betta aquarium water should be relatively soft and with a pH around 6.5 +/- which happens to be very good for nutrient uptake for most terrestrial plants. Most "pure" rain water has a pH of around 6. My orchids do best with their water pH around 6 (5.6-6.4) for uptake of nutrients. Hard water, even though it often contains plenty of calcium for plants, may not be able to be taken up by the plants due to pH's above 7. So, for example, the water one might use for African cichlids might not be appropriate for terrestrial plants unless mixed with a "pH down" product.

Good luck:)

Last edited:
Is this too niche for their to be a book explaining these things?

I love the idea though! I would totally buy from you eventually if I could.

I loved my bettas too. They are like aquatic puppies.

It is a great idea to use their waste water for your plants. I wonder if you might use the bettas directly at the root system? I know I have seen bettas and bamboo together in a passive set up. But I am imagining bettas living, (and fertilizing) amongst the plant roots. Of couse I know nothing so it's just a friendly idea.

I used to keep betta fish. I'd replace 1/3 of the water in Red's and Lizzie's tanks every day and use the waste water on my indoor seedlings. The seedlings thrived and the fishies were cute. Maybe I'll set up the indoor system again. I still keep goldfish in my outdoor rain barrels for watering outdoor potted plants.

The main focus of aquaponics historically was using water efficiently. Using fish waste for plants usually needs some supplementation, particularly chelated iron.
Bigger aquaponics systems use ‘mineralisation tanks’ to further process waste, and get more out of it.
If I was starting from new, I’d do iAVS/sandponics instead as it deals with all the aquaponics shortcomings.
But if you just want a small aquaponics system, set up some pots with clay balls or gravel so they drain back into into your tank. Then divert your filter outlet to the pots. You want the water going to the plants to be free of solids, and well aerated.

Last edited:
I used to keep betta fish. I'd replace 1/3 of the water in Red's and Lizzie's tanks every day and use the waste water on my indoor seedlings. The seedlings thrived and the fishies were cute. Maybe I'll set up the indoor system again. I still keep goldfish in my outdoor rain barrels for watering outdoor potted plants.
Lovely! Goldfish are the other "puppy" of the pet fish trade IMO. Fun alround.

I found this one you may have already seen it. I built one of the rock box filters 20 years ago for a friends koi pond

New Threads

Top Bottom