• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Approved to attend Cisco Training

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Every once in a while I can pull a rabbit out of my hat. I got approved to attend Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) training. It is a two part Information Technology training program which will take about 6 months to complete. The program starts in April of next year and is being funded by the US Department of Labor. It includes a paid internship so I won't be destitute. All in all a win on what has shaped up to be challenging week.

Thrilled to bits for you Matt. Couldn't be happier for you.

HauntingDirtyDragon-size_restricted.gif

In the mean time, I've got to get through these next several month. The program officially begins Monday, April 1st at 8:00am. Class runs from 8:00-5:00, Mon-Fri with an hour for lunch. They're treating it like a job and have the normal expectations about coming in on time and full participation. It's nice that they're letting us dress as students but have the expectations of professional conduct.

EXCELLENT!!! That internship is worth gold. Sounds like a really great deal.

So, will you change your screen name to "The Cisco Kid?" :D
LOL! Secret be told I feel like I am giving up my principles to do this program. I am a strong advocate of open source, non-proprietary technology and software. I also hate vendor-lock in which is what Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, and others want to do. I will always be an OpenBSD person first and foremost but industry uses Cisco because the pointy-haired bosses don't like to think outside the box all the while preaching innovation - funny how that happens.

LOL! Secret be told I feel like I am giving up my principles to do this program. I am a strong advocate of open source, non-proprietary technology and software. I also hate vendor-lock in which is what Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, and others want to do. I will always be an OpenBSD person first and foremost but industry uses Cisco because the pointy-haired bosses don't like to think outside the box all the while preaching innovation - funny how that happens.

No argument there. Although principles don't mesh well with unemployment, starvation and exposure.

Life has its share of priorities...

Agreed, @Judge. Anyhow, learning things the Cisco way can only help me further understand network planning, implementation, and support. I think knowing the theory behind it and knowing how to do it using the open source stuff should make it that much easier for me to grasp the Cisco way of doing it. I would like to start a community wireless mesh network similar to what a few folks to NYC did called NYC Mesh

But, I have enough on my plate right now. I am more interested in writing.

Agreed, @Judge. Anyhow, learning things the Cisco way can only help me further understand network planning, implementation, and support. I think knowing the theory behind it and knowing how to do it using the open source stuff should make it that much easier for me to grasp the Cisco way of doing it. I would like to start a community wireless mesh network similar to what a few folks to NYC did called NYC Mesh

But, I have enough on my plate right now. I am more interested in writing.

Much like Microsoft, it's a standard. I suppose that's the most important thing. A standard that remains prominent in the market. Even if we aren't thrilled about it.

Reminds me when I did website design and was stuck having to deal with ASP and MSQL. When I so much preferred PHP and MySQL. :rolleyes:

CONGRATULATIONS Matt!!! So glad you got a really good break in things. Since you have that to look forward to, you'll be able to survive whatever you need to in the interim.

CONGRATULATIONS Matt!!! So glad you got a really good break in things. Since you have that to look forward to, you'll be able to survive whatever you need to in the interim.
Thank you! Yes, hahaha, I will survive the interim security guard job. I plan to do a whole lot of creative writing on my down time.

New Threads

Top Bottom