• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Yesterday I heard that there exists these small, solar power kits that exist for powering your fridge and the like during power outages. Does anyone know where I can these? It would be great to have these in case of something like the above happening, as well as getting acquainted with the technology as I’ll probably be using it on my homestead. (Maybe I could even use to cut down on my power bill. ;))

What you need to remember is that the output of a solar panel is generally proportional to it's size.
Fridges will generally be too much of a load for a kit like you are describing.
But a fridge if you leave it closed should maintain it's temperature for a few hours at least.

But on a decent scale in the right climate it does make sense.

Last edited:
Agree with Kevin, small solar problem won't run a fridge. They have gas fridges in remote areas, like in caravans, only full size, but they're pricey.

There are small kits like these: Amazon.com : solar panels kit
Larger systems like these: Solar Electric Supply – Leading Wholesale Solar Panels & Solar Electric Systems Suppliers

Anything larger like whole home, I would simply get some quotes from local solar energy installers. They will customize a system for you. There are low interest loans, tax credits/rebates available in certain areas.

I have had residential solar, battery storage, and 2 electric cars for the past 5 years. I am attached to the grid, but most of the time I don't have to pull from the grid, even at night. Saving hundreds of dollars per month. I don't like being dependent upon utility companies and pumping gas.

FYI, since you brought up the refrigerator,...I have a small plug-in timer for the power to my refrigerator/freezer. 2hrs on, 2hrs off. Have run it this way for years. Literally cuts the power usage in half. No issues with temperature.

My suggestion for anyone considering a solar energy system,...if at all possible, invest in making your home and appliances efficient first. Insulation, more efficient appliances, better windows,....whatever,...find ways to reduce your power consumption first. Then,...you won't have to spend so much on a larger solar energy system,...it can be smaller and less expensive.

Most people do not save that much money on a whole house system,...if it is just the house. Get one electric car,...the savings will be seen at the end of the month for sure. We are spending $250/month on our solar energy system loan. Previously, our electric bills were averaging $100-150/month for the house. So, that added $100 to our budget. Here's were it got interesting. We got our first electric car,...no longer spending $200/month pumping gas. Now, we were saving $100/month. We added a second electric car, further saving us an additional $200/month. So, we are now saving roughly $300/month.

Money in, money out. Once you figure out your budget,...if it works out for you,...go for it. We love our solar,...and the Tesla cars,...OMG,...never, ever, ever will go back to gas-powered vehicles. BTW, our first electric car was a little Nissan Leaf,...was actually some $15,000 less than the gas-powered vehicle it replaced. There are a lot of good, lightly used 2018+ used electric cars out on the market now,...and reasonably priced. You don't have to drop a lot of money into an electric car anymore.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom