• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone want to take a crack at dream interpretation?

iamlindsaythatisall

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday
I tend to have weird dreams... this morning, I woke up from yet another odd dream. I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but I can see how someone would see it as such.

What I recall:
I was in a library. It looked more like an academic library rather than your run-of-the-mill public library. It had quite a few patrons walking around, I don't recall the demographic(s). Now, here comes the weird part...

I happened to stumble upon a mystical/magickal (yes, this was the intended spelling) section of this library, and I was forced to be some sort of vessel for a curse being cast upon the world. I was seemingly paralyzed and helpless, and this... man (I do not remember what he looked like) was slowly taking parts of my soul/essence out through my mouth. I could feel his hand in my mouth, and I could also feel this essence being pulled out of me and breaking off into pieces every time he reached into my mouth and grabbed a hold of it. I could tell that it existed as a single... substance inside of me, but it would break off into pieces every time he pulled it out. I do not remember what he was chanting/saying, and I'm not sure what his motives were... I'm not even sure why I was there in the first place.

Once it was over, I obviously still had some soul/essence left over. I used what energy I had left to help break the curse. For some reason, this process had to be kept secret from everyone in the library, so I would do my best to make sure no one saw me, and I had to do this all on my own. Once I roamed around the library for a while, I finally found the book I needed to help break the curse that was cast onto the world. Mind you, I had no idea what the curse even was, I just could tell it was bad. I also knew that since I was used as this... vessel of sorts, I was the only one who could even attempt to break it. I read aloud the passage that was necessary to break this curse, and then I woke up.

I don't really think much of my dreams, anymore, since I am so used to them. I just wondered if anyone wanted to try and interpret what in the world my brain was trying to say.

Also! I have a lot of dreams where I am in a library. Not sure why that is... and my awake brain does not seem to have this imagination capability. Only when I'm asleep. That is also a mystery. Anyone have any theories?

My guess is that you have watched too much Harry Potter. ;) Or you want to work as a librarian and you have been single for too long, need a man in your life.

No but more seriously, I don`t know. But you have strange, powerfull dreams.

I haven't watched Harry Potter since I was in HS! >.< :p Honestly, I would enjoy being a librarian...

I have had a lot of strange dreams... I'd love to hear what Jung would say about them!

I am not sure if you were a university student, but if you were, then an academic setting could make sense if that learning there was a big part of your life. If not, then your dream involving a more academic library location could be explained by any more recent desire of yours to learn something not explained before, requiring some more comprehensive research or complex analysis. As well, perhaps you have felt in your life that you have been let down by others in trying to assist you when you needed help, and/or you felt that nobody would believe you in what you had to say, so you had to go it alone, to solve any bigger difficulties, in helping yourself and/or others. It seems like your dream could also be saying you are at odds with regards to your identity, as you feel pressure to break up who you are to be somebody else. The fact you still had power, knowledge and energy to rid the curse on your own after most of your soul was removed tells me that this could just mean that you feel you have the abilities to handle your difficulties as best as possible without assistance if not available.

Last edited:
I don't know, but speculate dreams are stories the brain spins out. They are made up of recent occurrances, or things we have read/seen, things on our mind at a sub-concious level and connected (sometimes haphazardly) by whatever the brain can find lying around. I am not surprised they are often weird. What amazes me is brains can make these movies on it's own. And not just us. I know my dogs dream for example.

The library scene reminds me a little of the TV series, 'The Discovery of Witches' Have you seen that?

Ok so the university library is a place of vast knowledge. You utilize it to do good/undo bad. But you are alone in all of this. Well, people on the spectrum (me for example) use facts and knowledge to contribute to the world, while still being mostly alone.

As I read your post I happened to be listening to a recording of a man named Neil Goddard. He was a mystic teaching in the mid 20th century. Anyway, he was saying "you are god, there isn't anything else.", and I was stuck with the following interpretation of your dream:

You believe yourself to be a "curse" upon the world and though you do not desire it, the curse that is you gets spread round. But you realize you actually control this belief. Just in having the the realization that you control the belief of the curse, the "curse" is broken.

I am not sure if you were a university student, but if you were, then an academic setting could make sense if that learning there was a big part of your life. If not, then your dream involving a more academic library location could be explained by any more recent desire of yours to learn something not explained before, requiring some more comprehensive research or complex analysis. As well, perhaps you have felt in your life that you have been let down by others in trying to assist you when you needed help, and/or you felt that nobody would believe you in what you had to say, so you had to go it alone, to solve any bigger difficulties, in helping yourself and/or others. It seems like your dream could also be saying you are at odds with regards to your identity, as you feel pressure to break up who you are to be somebody else. The fact you still had power, knowledge and energy to rid the curse on your own after most of your soul was removed tells me that this could just mean that you feel you have the abilities to handle your difficulties as best as possible without assistance if not available.

Whoa! That's pretty spot-on!

"I am not sure if you were a university student, but if you were, then an academic setting could make sense if that learning there was a big part of your life. If not, then your dream involving a more academic library location could be explained by any more recent desire of yours to learn something not explained before, requiring some more comprehensive research or complex analysis."
  • I do have a BA in Psychology, and I did work at the university's library as a Work-Study Assistant. Those years were extremely formative, to say the least. I also have a constant desire to learn that seems insatiable. Comprehensive research and complex analysis are things I definitely enjoy.

"As well, perhaps you have felt in your life that you have been let down by others in trying to assist you when you needed help, and/or you felt that nobody would believe you in what you had to say, so you had to go it alone, to solve any bigger difficulties, in helping yourself and/or others."
  • Spookily enough, you are very correct. I could give examples, but that would make this post entirely too long.
"It seems like your dream could also be saying you are at odds with regards to your identity, as you feel pressure to break up who you are to be somebody else. The fact you still had power, knowledge and energy to rid the curse on your own after most of your soul was removed tells me that this could just mean that you feel you have the abilities to handle your difficulties as best as possible without assistance if not available."
  • This is incredibly optimistic and reassuring, for one. It is also true that I have always struggled with my identity, as I am sure is the case for almost everyone on this forum. I'm 30 and still feel so very lost. I'm not sure if I'll ever know where the mask ends and the real me begins, but your statement makes me think that this will be a battle I can win. Hopefully things will turn out alright :) .

I don't know, but speculate dreams are stories the brain spins out. They are made up of recent occurrances, or things we have read/seen, things on our mind at a sub-concious level and connected (sometimes haphazardly) by whatever the brain can find lying around. I am not surprised they are often weird. What amazes me is brains can make these movies on it's own. And not just us. I know my dogs dream for example.

The library scene reminds me a little of the TV series, 'The Discovery of Witches' Have you seen that?

It is amazing! I, honestly, do not remember the last time I consumed sci-fi/fantasy media of any kind... those are my favorite genres, though! I've never heard of 'The Discovery of Witches'. Sounds pretty interesting from the title.

Ok so the university library is a place of vast knowledge. You utilize it to do good/undo bad. But you are alone in all of this. Well, people on the spectrum (me for example) use facts and knowledge to contribute to the world, while still being mostly alone.

Agreed and same! I do tend to prefer to do things on my own, especially research.

As I read your post I happened to be listening to a recording of a man named Neil Goddard. He was a mystic teaching in the mid 20th century. Anyway, he was saying "you are god, there isn't anything else.", and I was stuck with the following interpretation of your dream:

You believe yourself to be a "curse" upon the world and though you do not desire it, the curse that is you gets spread round. But you realize you actually control this belief. Just in having the the realization that you control the belief of the curse, the "curse" is broken.

Also spookily accurate! I tend to feel like my existence is a burden on others... and I seem to have exceedingly bad luck. It's only recently that I've even attempted to dig myself out of this hole rather than hiding its existence... thought-provoking!!

A discovery of witches was a very interesting trilogy by Deborah Harkness, the first book was the best, I interpreted one set of characters as auties. Some great library scenes, for example in the Bodleian. She's also published a lovely book from her doctoral research, which was about Elizabethan London, so fascinating. I just am not mad keen on vampires, though, which seemed dominant in the fiction. Yawn.

What follows is from one who has always found dreamlife far more creative and interesting than reality. My dreams wind up informing who I am rather than the other way around, but then I have been what is known as a lucid dreamer for many years.

My dream life can take two different forms: the first is subjective, where the experience mirrors waking life, but most of my dreams are experienced in what I like to think of as god mode (i.e. out of body and watching yourself as if from on high and with the perspective that you are dreaming and thus can influence the actions of your dream self).

If you want to get into weird territory, I once dreamed I was Julie Andrews preparing for a TV special. I have a great number of weird dreams, but then I prefer them that way. :p

All that aside, my first reaction to reading your post was that some information that is important to you is not getting proper notice and it is of such a sensitive nature that you do not think you can easily share it with others. That is just from the outer reaches of who knows where and I have no great insight into my own dreams much less others. Then again, I did not find your dream particularly weird from my own point of view. ;)

Oh, and just a note of observation, I did not start figuring out who I was until I was well into my forties. It does get better, at least that is my perception from many years on. Do not stress for that never leads to anything positive. Just be good to yourself and things will eventually fall into place.

Guess it can be interpreted as you are feeling drained in a physical way. Somebody or a situation currently is sucking you dry, and all your knowledge and understanding cannot help in this case. There could be some severe denial going on to the point of your dreams are to wake you up to face this head on. Is there a ongoing situation that you do not acknowledge?

What follows is from one who has always found dreamlife far more creative and interesting than reality. My dreams wind up informing who I am rather than the other way around, but then I have been what is known as a lucid dreamer for many years.

My dream life can take two different forms: the first is subjective, where the experience mirrors waking life, but most of my dreams are experienced in what I like to think of as god mode (i.e. out of body and watching yourself as if from on high and with the perspective that you are dreaming and thus can influence the actions of your dream self).

If you want to get into weird territory, I once dreamed I was Julie Andrews preparing for a TV special. I have a great number of weird dreams, but then I prefer them that way. :p

All that aside, my first reaction to reading your post was that some information that is important to you is not getting proper notice and it is of such a sensitive nature that you do not think you can easily share it with others. That is just from the outer reaches of who knows where and I have no great insight into my own dreams much less others. Then again, I did not find your dream particularly weird from my own point of view. ;)

Oh, and just a note of observation, I did not start figuring out who I was until I was well into my forties. It does get better, at least that is my perception from many years on. Do not stress for that never leads to anything positive. Just be good to yourself and things will eventually fall into place.

Another optimistic and reassuring comment :) thank you for that. I wish I knew what that information was… I may value direct communication, but my brain sure does love playing games with me! :p

Guess it can be interpreted as you are feeling drained in a physical way. Somebody or a situation currently is sucking you dry, and all your knowledge and understanding cannot help in this case. There could be some severe denial going on to the point of your dreams are to wake you up to face this head on. Is there a ongoing situation that you do not acknowledge?

I have been feeling quite drained for the past… well… long time. I am starting to feel like I’ve hit my final wall, and I’ve finally run out of sledgehammers (if that makes any sense). I don’t think there’s anything I’m not acknowledging… but, honestly… who knows. The brain is funky and doesn’t like to tell me what’s going on. Similar to an oracle, it can’t seem to give me exact details. Gotta go digging for them elsewhere…

You are going through a healing process of some specific trauma and you refuse to allow anyone in your life to help with that, shutting them out essentially and trying to heal on your own.

I tend to have weird dreams... this morning, I woke up from yet another odd dream. I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but I can see how someone would see it as such.

What I recall:
I was in a library. It looked more like an academic library rather than your run-of-the-mill public library. It had quite a few patrons walking around, I don't recall the demographic(s). Now, here comes the weird part...

I happened to stumble upon a mystical/magickal (yes, this was the intended spelling) section of this library, and I was forced to be some sort of vessel for a curse being cast upon the world. I was seemingly paralyzed and helpless, and this... man (I do not remember what he looked like) was slowly taking parts of my soul/essence out through my mouth. I could feel his hand in my mouth, and I could also feel this essence being pulled out of me and breaking off into pieces every time he reached into my mouth and grabbed a hold of it. I could tell that it existed as a single... substance inside of me, but it would break off into pieces every time he pulled it out. I do not remember what he was chanting/saying, and I'm not sure what his motives were... I'm not even sure why I was there in the first place.

Once it was over, I obviously still had some soul/essence left over. I used what energy I had left to help break the curse. For some reason, this process had to be kept secret from everyone in the library, so I would do my best to make sure no one saw me, and I had to do this all on my own. Once I roamed around the library for a while, I finally found the book I needed to help break the curse that was cast onto the world. Mind you, I had no idea what the curse even was, I just could tell it was bad. I also knew that since I was used as this... vessel of sorts, I was the only one who could even attempt to break it. I read aloud the passage that was necessary to break this curse, and then I woke up.

I don't really think much of my dreams, anymore, since I am so used to them. I just wondered if anyone wanted to try and interpret what in the world my brain was trying to say.

Also! I have a lot of dreams where I am in a library. Not sure why that is... and my awake brain does not seem to have this imagination capability. Only when I'm asleep. That is also a mystery. Anyone have any theories?
I don't bother with dream interpretation. A lot of things happen in dreams that have nothing to do with your life, just random stuff stirred up and settling down. I've had spectacular vivid dreams that were little more than my real-life fantasies running wild. I have had dreams that were structured just like a novel and told a story. Or I watched a good movie that evening and elements emerge in that night's dream.

Most dreams I cannot read or write or talk or do math. That's pretty common for most people. I often try and get frustrated as part of the dream. Or frightened in a nightmare. Sleep paralysis often leads to dreams where I simply cannot move.

The reason behind sleep paralysis is that the human body mobilizes itself during REM sleep. REM is rapid eye movement and it is the period of sleep when you experience dreams. At times, the dream ends up making you want to move, so the body’s defense mechanism is to turn off all the muscles during this period, resulting in paralysis.
10 Sleep Paralysis Causes and Signs

Sometimes a dream is created as an excuse to keep you from waking up. Or it includes an element of your sleep environment. Say I get tangled in my sheets and I dream I've been tied up. Or I dream of urinating and then I wake up and I have to use the bathroom. My dog starts barking and suddenly my dream has a barking dog in it. Since I sleep naked, I often have dreams of being naked, usually in a very public place. I've dreamt my way thru very loud alarm clocks.

When my dreams involve my waking life's concerns, It's usually pretty obvious. Not a lot of interpretation to be done.

What I recall:

You’re going to be eaten by a giant marshmallow.

You are going through a healing process of some specific trauma and you refuse to allow anyone in your life to help with that, shutting them out essentially and trying to heal on your own.
This is something I’ve been known to do… so that’s pretty accurate.

@iamlindsaythatisall
"Anyone have any theories?"

"Gestalt therapists believe that dreams are existential messages we send to ourselves. These messages are actively explored to bring dream content into a person's actual life.

A major technique used in Gestalt dream analysis is the 'Take the Part of' technique. In this process, the therapist asks the person to write down everything remembered about the dream. The person is then asked to act out each 'part' of the dream, creating a dialogue between the parts.

For example, if a man dreams about a hooded figure standing in his garden, the therapist might tell the man to ask the figure questions. He might ask, 'What are you doing in my garden?' and then answer, playing the part of the figure, 'I am here to protect your loved ones.' This back-and-forth playing of parts helps people in therapy clarify feelings from all angles."
Dream Analysis

This technique has been useful, to me.

I don't bother with dream interpretation. A lot of things happen in dreams that have nothing to do with your life, just random stuff stirred up and settling down. I've had spectacular vivid dreams that were little more than my real-life fantasies running wild. I have had dreams that were structured just like a novel and told a story. Or I watched a good movie that evening and elements emerge in that night's dream.

Most dreams I cannot read or write or talk or do math. That's pretty common for most people. I often try and get frustrated as part of the dream. Or frightened in a nightmare. Sleep paralysis often leads to dreams where I simply cannot move.

The reason behind sleep paralysis is that the human body mobilizes itself during REM sleep. REM is rapid eye movement and it is the period of sleep when you experience dreams. At times, the dream ends up making you want to move, so the body’s defense mechanism is to turn off all the muscles during this period, resulting in paralysis.
10 Sleep Paralysis Causes and Signs

Sometimes a dream is created as an excuse to keep you from waking up. Or it includes an element of your sleep environment. Say I get tangled in my sheets and I dream I've been tied up. Or I dream of urinating and then I wake up and I have to use the bathroom. My dog starts barking and suddenly my dream has a barking dog in it. Since I sleep naked, I often have dreams of being naked, usually in a very public place. I've dreamt my way thru very loud alarm clocks.

When my dreams involve my waking life's concerns, It's usually pretty obvious. Not a lot of interpretation to be done.
I’m honestly not sure where these dreams come from. I wish my subconscious was more straightforward with me if it’s trying to communicate something… I don’t remember the last time I read or watched anything sci-fi or fantasy, so I have no idea where the inspiration would be coming from.

I’m used to these dreams, at this point. I just figured I’d share my latest one to see if anyone would find it interesting.

@iamlindsaythatisall
"Anyone have any theories?"

"Gestalt therapists believe that dreams are existential messages we send to ourselves. These messages are actively explored to bring dream content into a person's actual life.

A major technique used in Gestalt dream analysis is the 'Take the Part of' technique. In this process, the therapist asks the person to write down everything remembered about the dream. The person is then asked to act out each 'part' of the dream, creating a dialogue between the parts.

For example, if a man dreams about a hooded figure standing in his garden, the therapist might tell the man to ask the figure questions. He might ask, 'What are you doing in my garden?' and then answer, playing the part of the figure, 'I am here to protect your loved ones.' This back-and-forth playing of parts helps people in therapy clarify feelings from all angles."
Dream Analysis

This technique has been useful, to me.
I’m familiar with the Jungian approach, but never really looked into the Gestalt dream analysis. Super cool! I’ll give it a try :)

I've found that my dreams have meaning in two ways:

1) Processing something from that day - Typically I can identify an event from my day that is repeated in some aspect in my dream. This is just my brain processing the event and filing it away.

2) An analogy for some emotion - I find the most meaning in my dreams by ignoring the actual events of the dream and focusing on how I felt in the dream. If I'm feeling anxious, unprepared, or ashamed about something, I might have a "naked in public" dream. If I am really happy with something I accomplished, I might dream about flying. Sometimes, my dreams give me insight into my emotions of the day, which I either ignored or didn't notice, and so give me a second chance to process them.

A few emotions from your dream seem to relate to being trapped or powerless, and then you finding secret ways to take your power back. Does that remind you of something in your real life?

I've found that my dreams have meaning in two ways:

1) Processing something from that day - Typically I can identify an event from my day that is repeated in some aspect in my dream. This is just my brain processing the event and filing it away.

2) An analogy for some emotion - I find the most meaning in my dreams by ignoring the actual events of the dream and focusing on how I felt in the dream. If I'm feeling anxious, unprepared, or ashamed about something, I might have a "naked in public" dream. If I am really happy with something I accomplished, I might dream about flying. Sometimes, my dreams give me insight into my emotions of the day, which I either ignored or didn't notice, and so give me a second chance to process them.

A few emotions from your dream seem to relate to being trapped or powerless, and then you finding secret ways to take your power back. Does that remind you of something in your real life?
I definitely have a fear of losing control, and that is also a common theme in my dreams. I am trapped or overpowered in some way and my autonomy is compromised. Or it's someone else being trapped or overpowered.

I had another dream a couple years back where it was like watching a movie, and the camera moved quickly through the White House down to its basement, and there was a nude woman playing a guitar and singing 'Undun' by The Guess Who. Happily. She was sitting in a chair in the middle of the room and was chained up by her neck. It was a single, large metal ring around her neck with a bunch of chains attached to it and the walls. There wasn't anything I could do, as I was just a silent, nonexistent observer. I found it exceedingly odd that she was happily captured.

Here's the song:

Because the lyrics are an important part of that dream.

New Threads

Top Bottom