• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone tried TMS therapy?

SusanLR

Curiosity's Cat
V.I.P Member
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.

Used to induce more neurotransmitters such as seratonin only supposedly does not
give the side effects that antidepressants do.
To qualify you must have a doctor that knows you have tried antidepressants
but could not tolerate the side effects or they just didn't work.

Has anyone tried it for depression?
Good results, bad results, no results? Side effects?
I've read the articles and watched the videos, but, would like some real people input.
I'm going for a consult Thursday afternoon regarding trying this therapy.
Wondered if it works differently with those on the spectrum.
It seems we are extra sensitive to meds.
This is not a chemical. It's called NeuroStar brand TMS therapy.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.

Used to induce more neurotransmitters such as seratonin only supposedly does not
give the side effects that antidepressants do.
To qualify you must have a doctor that knows you have tried antidepressants
but could not tolerate the side effects or they just didn't work.

Has anyone tried it for depression?
Good results, bad results, no results? Side effects?
I've read the articles and watched the videos, but, would like some real people input.
I'm going for a consult Thursday afternoon regarding trying this therapy.
Wondered if it works differently with those on the spectrum.
It seems we are extra sensitive to meds.
This is not a chemical. It's called NeuroStar brand TMS therapy.

I haven’t tried it but I seem to remember I think I heard about it on the documentary ‘Aspergers and Me’ Chris Packham goes to look at the machine and interview someone taking part and his mother and they felt it was successful and bearing good results.

I just checked and it is in the second half.

I just spoke with my therapist yesterday. She has two autistic children
and bought the Fischer- Wallace stimulator for her son. He is doing well with it.
Less anxiety, less aggression, more energy.
It is for home use and acts as a mini ect. Not with magnets.
Battery power. It is FDA approved and been on the market for many years, she said.

In fact these two units seem to do well with people on the spectrum as there are no
side effects like the antidepressants.
Will be going for a consultation at the Neuro Star place today.

I just spoke with my therapist yesterday. She has two autistic children
and bought the Fischer- Wallace stimulator for her son. He is doing well with it.
Less anxiety, less aggression, more energy.
It is for home use and acts as a mini ect. Not with magnets.
Battery power. It is FDA approved and been on the market for many years, she said.

In fact these two units seem to do well with people on the spectrum as there are no
side effects like the antidepressants.
Will be going for a consultation at the Neuro Star place today.

Good luck with your appointment I hope it goes well for you. I haven’t heard of a stimulator for home use that’s interesting I’ll look into it.

Good luck with your appointment I hope it goes well for you. I haven’t heard of a stimulator for home use that’s interesting I’ll look into it.
The home use one is called Fisher-Wallace CES.
This is the one my therapist is using on her son.
You can see the videos and articles on it at FisherWallace.com
FDA cleared. No side effects. Reviews are favorable except for insomnia.
Depression, chronic pain, mood balance mostly as it stimulates the brain to produce more serotonin
and decrease cortisol.

I had my initial consultation today with the Neuro Star Magnetic stimulator therapy group and I don't
know what the outcome will be yet as it needs clearing with my insurance.
The psychiatric group I saw didn't think my insurance would work with them, but, Neuro Star is
being used everywhere and the hospitals that have psych units take the insurance.
It can be done on an out patient basis so I would not have to be hospitalized for it.
Neuro Star is a far more precise and advanced therapy than the Fisher Wallace.
Group therapy is provided along with the treatments.
I am supposed to hear later today or tomorrow regarding where I would have to go for the insurance
to pay for it.

Hopeful.

The home use one is called Fisher-Wallace CES.
This is the one my therapist is using on her son.
You can see the videos and articles on it at FisherWallace.com
FDA cleared. No side effects. Reviews are favorable except for insomnia.
Depression, chronic pain, mood balance mostly as it stimulates the brain to produce more serotonin
and decrease cortisol.

I had my initial consultation today with the Neuro Star Magnetic stimulator therapy group and I don't
know what the outcome will be yet as it needs clearing with my insurance.
The psychiatric group I saw didn't think my insurance would work with them, but, Neuro Star is
being used everywhere and the hospitals that have psych units take the insurance.
It can be done on an out patient basis so I would not have to be hospitalized for it.
Neuro Star is a far more precise and advanced therapy than the Fisher Wallace.
Group therapy is provided along with the treatments.
I am supposed to hear later today or tomorrow regarding where I would have to go for the insurance
to pay for it.

Hopeful.

I had a look and the Fisher-Wallace CES is nearly £800 second hand in the UK, so it’s way out of my budget. Isn’t it similar to a tens machine which I already have?

I hope you can sort your insurance out it must be such a hassle having to do all that. Thank goodness for the NHS which despite the moaners and ingrates seems to be a pretty good system. For those that aren’t happy there is the option to go private too and pay fortunes or have the inconvenience of sorting insurance out like yourself.

Please do keep us updated, I for one would be interested to hear how it works for you.

The group that does the Neuro Star called today and said everything had been sent to my insurance
company that was requested. Now it should be about 3 days before an answer.

If insurance doesnt' work, I will buy the Fisher-Wallace one and use at home.
It does work off batteries similar to a tens unit, but, the calibrations for the amount of current
are totally different since it stimulates synapses in the brain vs a much higher frequency to stimulate
a muscle.
Don't want to fry the brain!

But, it has been FDA approved safe since 2009 and I know two people who use one with very
good results. They are $400 USA.
I can pay it off in increments.

The group that does the Neuro Star called today and said everything had been sent to my insurance
company that was requested. Now it should be about 3 days before an answer.

If insurance doesnt' work, I will buy the Fisher-Wallace one and use at home.
It does work off batteries similar to a tens unit, but, the calibrations for the amount of current
are totally different since it stimulates synapses in the brain vs a much higher frequency to stimulate
a muscle.
Don't want to fry the brain!

But, it has been FDA approved safe since 2009 and I know two people who use one with very
good results. They are $400 USA.
I can pay it off in increments.

Did you ever try it?

I had it, if I remember correctly it helped a bit for a while, longer than most other things have, but did wear off. I’d have a bit of a headache the rest of the day, but that was it as far as side effects go. If anything I’m actually less sensitive to medications and side effects thereof than average, I’m one who just can’t find anything that works for long.

New Threads

Top Bottom