• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone suffer from an extreme sleep disorder?

Fade2black

Not only do I not get enough sleep, the quality of my sleep is really bad.

I’ve had several sleep studies that show I have no stage 3 & 4 sleep. If that’s not enough, I can’t sleep more than 4 hrs a day. I’m perpetually exhausted. After years of being on a wait list, I finally have an appointment with a well known University to be studied. Anyone else in this boat or experienced the same sleep problems?

I am a poor sleeper,I consider myself a night owl and have issues with being able to shut off my brain even while trying to sleep,even when I do sleep it is not a deep sleep and I wake up a few times during the night,I never feel refreshed after a rest and even if I do get some decent hours I still feel like I haven’t slept at all,also I can get nightmares aswell which when something triggers them off again I end up having them on a nightly basis,sleep is a struggle for me and i can’t remember when I did have a good night sleep.

I've been through a sleep study at a good hospital and they found nothing abnormal. Yet some nights, I don't sleep. In response, I fix my circadian rhythm so it's normal, then *bam* I randomly sleep 19 hours one night/day for no apparent reason and then it's thrown off again.

Meh, at least I sleep well. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. That's good about the University study though, maybe that'll give you some answers.

I can’t sleep without a lot of natural supplements and medications. Even then sometimes I can’t sleep but maxed out on dosages so I just don’t sleep.

I don't have trouble getting to sleep, but, I awake every two hours.
This isn't long enough to get into the deep levels of sleep.
Even though I don't, I still get too many dreams.
And they always seem to be disturbing dreams I wish I didn't have.
So, I wake up tired, sleepy and want to take an extra hour or so nap right after noon.

I had physical therapy yesterday and it was more intense than usual.
Today I woke up hurting all over from fibromyalgia and slept most of the day.
I've had a sleep study test and they said no problems were found.
But, I think they were just checking for sleep apnea. Nothing else.

Not only do I not get enough sleep, the quality of my sleep is really bad.

I’ve had several sleep studies that show I have no stage 3 & 4 sleep. If that’s not enough, I can’t sleep more than 4 hrs a day. I’m perpetually exhausted. After years of being on a wait list, I finally have an appointment with a well known University to be studied. Anyone else in this boat or experienced the same sleep problems?
haven't slept properly for 12 years sleep sometimes for about an hour wake up through the night might stay asleep for three hours sleep for the daytime two hours

I have had extreme lack of sleep and was given different sleeping tablets that never worked. I only sleep now because I have been prescribed quitiapine for something else and they knock me out most nights

I've been on this forum a little over a month and the one thread topic that is repeated every week or so is sleep disorders. I quess it is an Aspy thing that a lot of our brains are wired to keep whirring around when we should be sleeping. I can get to sleep by 1am if I follow a strict routine of adhering to every sleep aid suggetion ever published and make it to bed by 10pm. Yet staying asleep more then 1 to 3 hours is not possible. There are a lot of sleep clinics popping up all over the US but like all other medical businesses, the medical professionals only practice sales and marketing, none practice medicine anymore. There are tons of diagnostic tests that lead to no useful results and pharmceuticals, mostly placebos or addictive drugs, that are designed to keep the patient unhealthy and hooked instead of providing a cure.

If someone comes up with anything that would help us get a nightly 8 hour nap, I bet you get a like from everyone on this forum.

Is anyone familiar with Exploding Head Syndrome. Wikipedia: Exploding head syndrome (EHS), alternately termed episodic cranial sensory shock, is a benign condition in which a person experiences unreal noises that are loud and short, like a bomb exploding or a gunshot, when falling asleep or waking up. These noises are often jarring and frightening for the person
This is my biggest problem - almost always as I'm drifting off to sleep a loud bang jars me awake. And it's real frustrating when I've spent hours trying to get to sleep only to be jarred back out of it by some big bang in my own head.

Is anyone familiar with Exploding Head Syndrome. Wikipedia: Exploding head syndrome (EHS), alternately termed episodic cranial sensory shock, is a benign condition in which a person experiences unreal noises that are loud and short, like a bomb exploding or a gunshot, when falling asleep or waking up. These noises are often jarring and frightening for the person
This is my biggest problem - almost always as I'm drifting off to sleep a loud bang jars me awake. And it's real frustrating when I've spent hours trying to get to sleep only to be jarred back out of it by some big bang in my own head.
Never heard of that one nor experienced it.
What sometimes happens with me is as I am falling asleep I am suddenly awakened by a feeling I have
quit breathing. Quite scary. I feel I can't get my breath started and gasp for air.
I think it is nothing but falling asleep rather quickly in a state of anxiety.
No medical reason has been found. And it does happen usually during very stressful times.
I try to relax a bit before falling asleep. Listen to some ambient music. Think of something nice or a nice place I would like to be. Look out the window at the trees, etc.
That seems to keep it from happening.

I have had extreme lack of sleep and was given different sleeping tablets that never worked. I only sleep now because I have been prescribed quitiapine for something else and they knock me out most nights
I have had chronic insomnia for nearly 50 years and have also tried just about evey sleep drug ever invented. They are highly addictive and only work for a short time before more are required. These days I also take quetiapine which does allow me to sleep most nights, but only in ideal conditions. I still have some sleepless nights and broken sleep especially if I have any worry or stress. It has been the most debilitating problem of my life and I believe it is intricately linked to depression and anxiety.

I cannot solve my sleep problem either. No matter what I do I cannot sleep. Even if I exercise a lot, it does not really matter. I like to run and sometimes run more than 10 miles at a time, but it still does not make my brain tired for sleep. There was a time when I did sleep quite well. But I really cannot move forward with my life or solve many other problems unless I fix this problem first.

New Threads

Top Bottom