• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone on the spectrum NOT have sensitivity issues?

BluJay

Hi! I’m new here. My GP has referred me for an ASD diagnosis (of course I’ll be waiting a while) I’ve got something on my mind and would love to hear from the community. I’ve learnt a lot about Autism over the years (purely out of interest) and am still trying to refine my understanding, particularly now that it’s personal. A lot of it I can relate to, especially particular personality traits. But I cannot relate to sensitivity issues at all. Ok, so I do cut tags out my clothes but I’m sure a lot of people do that. Don’t really have an issue with loud bright places or strong smells etc. I don’t love them, but they don’t distress me. From what I understood that was one of they key elements of being on the spectrum (Tony Atwood directly told me as much during a seminar) Could this mean I’m not? Or just one of the few who doesn’t have that issue but could still be on the spectrum?
Feeling uncomfortable because I‘ve never considered myself as NT but also don’t want to feel like a fraudulent Aspie.
Appreciate your thoughts.
(FYI 34yr female)

While most people with ASD have sensitivity issues, there are plenty of people with ASD who don't have those issues especially if they're on the milder end of the spectrum.

I am definitely on the spectrum, and I do not remember ever being physically sensitive to any form of stimulation, so I do not believe it will disqualify you from a proper diagnosis. After all, no two of us is exactly alike in the way we present to the world.

For me the sensitivity to stimuli varies greatly with how well I’m doing, mentally and physically. When I’m doing good I don’t experience negative type of sensitivity. always have heightened senses, but I’m better at modulating the sensory input when I’m operating on a full battery, so to speak.

I used to love going to massive raves and festivals with very little issues. When I’m doing good, I actually get energized from such surroundings because I feed on the euphoric energy around me. But when I’m feeling a little low, I can get overstimulated from the living room radio playing music softly two doors down the hall.

I also enjoy concerts and nightclubs. I don’t have a lot of sensitivity to sound, and I’m a musician (especially percussion, which is very loud!)
I enjoy being touched, for the most part. I love hugs. I crave cuddling a lot.
The only sensitivity “issues” I have are smell (but only really repulsive smells) and some food textures.

Sensitivity is not something that has featured in my experience of ASC at all.
I have never cut the tags off my clothes

welcome to af.png

I seen a number of 90% of us having sensory issues. I have always had mild issues. The worst thing I remember was being in a loud stimulating store and feeling a slight panic. Not enough to have a meltdown but enough to want to get out of there fast. This kind of thing has dissipated with age. Occasionally, I cut tags off clothes. And wool clothes often feel like a torture device :eek:.

For me the sensitivity to stimuli varies greatly with how well I’m doing, mentally and physically. When I’m doing good I don’t experience negative type of sensitivity. always have heightened senses, but I’m better at modulating the sensory input when I’m operating on a full battery, so to speak.

I used to love going to massive raves and festivals with very little issues. When I’m doing good, I actually get energized from such surroundings because I feed on the euphoric energy around me. But when I’m feeling a little low, I can get overstimulated from the living room radio playing music softly two doors down the hall.

Same. Also, I found out at some point that I had a lot of issues (from a sensory standpoint) that I didn't realize I had. I did a lot of "you mean xyz isn't NORMAL? NOT everyone has this experience? Well how about that???..."

Thanks heaps everyone! Very interesting. :) Ok, I feel more confident now in making the effort to chase a diagnosis. I got a bit hung up on thinking that I just couldn’t be genuinely autistic without sensitivities. But since the diagnosis referral has come about from a situation resembling autistic burnout it’s comforting to know this could still be a possible explanation for all my struggles.

Same. Also, I found out at some point that I had a lot of issues (from a sensory standpoint) that I didn't realize I had. I did a lot of "you mean xyz isn't NORMAL? NOT everyone has this experience? Well how about that???..."
It will be interesting to see now that I’ll be looking at my life and experiences with a new point of view if I have some of these realisations too.

I seen a number of 90% of us having sensory issues. I have always had mild issues. The worst thing I remember was being in a loud stimulating store and feeling a slight panic. Not enough to have a meltdown but enough to want to get out of there fast. This kind of thing has dissipated with age. Occasionally, I cut tags off clothes. And wool clothes often feel like a torture device :eek:.
I must admit I get tired and grumpy fairly easily in a busy shopping centre. Possibly subliminally sensitive without having the conscious awareness that I’m being overstimulated? Yes, wool ugh! I’ve always wondered why they make scratchy jumpers and who would buy them? But maybe that’s my answer... NT’s haha

Sensitivity is not something that has featured in my experience of ASC at all.
I have never cut the tags off my clothes
I used to have sensitivity issues but they have been suppressed greatly over the years
That’s very interesting. So I guess I shouldn’t make that a make or break in my own personal acceptance of it. I’m now realising I’ve gradually suppressed a lot over the years too. Trying to work out what is the mask and what is actually me :/

I also enjoy concerts and nightclubs. I don’t have a lot of sensitivity to sound, and I’m a musician (especially percussion, which is very loud!)
I enjoy being touched, for the most part. I love hugs. I crave cuddling a lot.
The only sensitivity “issues” I have are smell (but only really repulsive smells) and some food textures.
This is fascinating, thanks for sharing. Would have never guessed the touch part as that’s something I don’t like (exception being a good firm hug from family in times of distress) So I guess that proves the point that no one can be judged on one criteria no matter how common it is.

I have very few sensory sensitivities. Lights of a certain brightness and certain loud frequencies will cause me to feel disoriented. I dislike loud noises but there are a few that give off this frequency that hurts my ears more than the noise itself. They are mechanical pounding from things like an air hammer, people that turn up the bass on their car stereos so much that you can literally hear and feel the vibration from up to 100 feet away and cause the windows to shake, and if I’m driving a car with an exhaust leak and I have the window down. Lights only bother me if they are really bright and are shining in my eyes and if someone lights a torch used in car repairs. Clothes don’t bother me that much other than I hate those ugly ankle socks because I feel uncomfortable in them but that really isn’t related to sensory issues.

This is fascinating, thanks for sharing. Would have never guessed the touch part as that’s something I don’t like (exception being a good firm hug from family in times of distress) So I guess that proves the point that no one can be judged on one criteria no matter how common it is.
Yes, exactly! We’re all different :blush:
I’ve had a lot of people say they’re shocked that I like being touched. But I made a thread about it on here a few months ago and I discovered that I wasn’t the only one!

I actually met someone here who has exactly the same sensitivity to a very specific food texture as I do.

But there are some Aspies who don’t seem to fit much of the diagnostic criteria except for a few specific key ones… that doesn’t mean they’re not Aspies. :)
I’m an extrovert too. But I’m still an Aspie :blush:

I have very few sensory sensitivities. Lights of a certain brightness and certain loud frequencies will cause me to feel disoriented. I dislike loud noises but there are a few that give off this frequency that hurts my ears more than the noise itself. They are mechanical pounding from things like an air hammer, people that turn up the bass on their car stereos so much that you can literally hear and feel the vibration from up to 100 feet away and cause the windows to shake, and if I’m driving a car with an exhaust leak and I have the window down. Lights only bother me if they are really bright and are shining in my eyes and if someone lights a torch used in car repairs. Clothes don’t bother me that much other than I hate those ugly ankle socks because I feel uncomfortable in them but that really isn’t related to sensory issues.
Haha I hate those socks too, I wear high ones like a dork. That’s what I would love to decipher, when is something part of the autistic experience vs plain old human experience? I think my poor friends are going to get polled.

Hello,

Regarding masking, it IS difficult to parse out 'you' vs 'the mask' if masking is second nature, as it is for many diagnosed late in life. And I am not sure is really matters all that much. Masking is simply a tool that helps you get your stuff done. Masking is a tool that makes certain things easier. You don't question brooms, you just sweep.

Having said that, many of us as we gain experience in life, find we don't want to mask. Masking takes an emotional toll and can be physically draining. For many of us we simply stop masking when we reach the point where we feel that masking is no longer serving us well. When that happens is is different for everyone.

When you do get there, the mask is obvious. You will know how to fill the void with 'you' when you get there. There is no rush.

For those of us who identify as asd late in life, everything about ourselves can seem new. I predict you will be discovering nrw things about yourself for some time to come!

New Threads

Top Bottom