• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone loves crime books

Giraffes

V.I.P Member
For my whole life i have loved reading crime novels, i began with the 87 precinct based books by Ed Mcbann and was hooked, for me its the psychology of people that fascinates, the gathering of evidence and the reason why people do what they do, as a Aspie my fascination of people and intent has always taken the path of intense observation from the outside,due in part i think that some peoples abilities.......... empathy, reciprocal conversation, group belonging evade myself, and this causes anxiety and has in the past caused depression.
Hey noticed i'm going off point LOL
I particularly love a female lead character think of Jane Tennison in Prime suspect or the detective from the alphabet series by Sue Grafton
It would be amazing if someone out their shared my love or why not tell me the type of books you love any why.

Sara VI Warshawski , spunky punky dective, good plot, fun read. Female lead. But l love true crime. I have seen the movie and read the true life story- Heist

Last edited:
Sara VI Warshawski , spunky punky dective, good plot, fun read. Female lead. But l love true crime. I have seen the movie and read the true life story- The Hiest.
Never read true crime but have read all of the Warshawski books brilliant.

Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Janet Evanovitch, Dan Brown, Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey, Dorothy L. Sayers, and many more! I like crime serieses on TV too, Shetland, Bones, CSI NY, Miami etc, NCIS, Poirot, Foyles war, Miss Marple, Maigret, Vera, Endeavour, etc.

I also like fantasy novels. Harry Potter and magical ideas especially.

I particularly love a female lead character think of Jane Tennison in Prime suspect or the detective from the alphabet series by Sue Grafton

Liked Prime Suspect a great deal, and her strong lead and abilities. Are you referencing the television series with Helen Mirren as DCI Jane Tennison? I'd never missed one of them. Didn't know that they were based on Sue Grafton books, whom I've never read for some reason.

Do like detective novels, I've read quite a few over the years. Jane Marple is a favourite sleuth as is the 'dragon tattoo girl' Lisbeth Salander from the books. Also like the 'Spy who came in from the cold' by John le Carre. Many of the Dashiell Hammett books, the French detectives C. Auguste Dupin, Jules Maigret. Precious Ramotswe, Sam Spade, Nero Wolfe to name a few.

Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Janet Evanovitch, Dan Brown, Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey, Dorothy L. Sayers, and many more! I like crime serieses on TV too, Shetland, Bones, CSI NY, Miami etc, NCIS, Poirot, Foyles war, Miss Marple, Maigret, Vera, Endeavour, etc.

I also like fantasy novels. Harry Potter and magical ideas especially.
I also love tv detectives, Inspector Frost, Vera (amazing) NYPD blue (yes I’m old ) thin blue line, Broadchurch, Waking the. dead, Silent witness and many more, Morse andLewis leave me cold, not sure why, I’ve never read Robert Craig’s, or Josephine Tey but normal life returns I will certainly explore them.
I library loan books, guess the only books I own are Alice Walker ‘the colour Purple’ the movie is a great adaptation and ‘To kill a mockingbird’ currently reading JD Robb based in the future and a female kick ass lieutenant, I have giggled up all of her books

Liked Prime Suspect a great deal, and her strong lead and abilities. Are you referencing the television series with Helen Mirren as DCI Jane Tennison? I'd never missed one of them. Didn't know that they were based on Sue Grafton books, whom I've never read for some reason.

Do like detective novels, I've read quite a few over the years. Jane Marple is a favourite sleuth as is the 'dragon tattoo girl' Lisbeth Salander from the books. Also like the 'Spy who came in from the cold' by John le Carre. Many of the Dashiell Hammett books, the French detectives C. Auguste Dupin, Jules Maigret. Precious Ramotswe, Sam Spade, Nero Wolfe to name a few.
Hey there Linda La Plante wrote ‘Prime Suspect’ really enjoyed Prime Suspect 1973 about her early career worth a watch if you missed it lice ‘Girl with the’ films but hey why on why remake it with Daniel Craig and dilute Lisbeth? tragic!

Hey there Linda La Plante wrote ‘Prime Suspect’ really enjoyed Prime Suspect 1973 about her early career worth a watch if you missed it lice ‘Girl with the’ films but hey why on why remake it with Daniel Craig and dilute Lisbeth? tragic!

Linda la Plante? Never heard of her, but I'll look her up:) After the first film, with Lisbeth Sanders, I didn't want to watch them anymore. I knew from the books that there would be a torture scene coming up. And I did see it. The gore was too much for me. So just the books from then on.

Linda la Plante? Never heard of her, but I'll look her up:) After the first film, with Lisbeth Sanders, I didn't want to watch them anymore. I knew from the books that there would be a torture scene coming up. And I did see it. The gore was too much for me. So just the books from then on.
I understand where you are coming from, some scenes are very graphic, what remains for me is the endurance and protection of vunerable women from Lisbeth or yeah as she's a outsider to but seems accepting of what and who she is.

I have to avoid crime stories because of anxiety issues, but I did read this one before I knew better.

9781526380340.jpg

I did read this one before I knew better.
Was s/he the same wolf from Little Red Riding Hood?

There were also those home invaders, Goldilocks, Hansel & Gretel*...!
Goldilocks' Mug Shot
full

*Though the witch could have been sued for "attractive nuisance," too! (I'd like to see John Grisham's work-up of that story...)

Last edited:
Josephine Tey, Eric Ambler, John Le Carre, Rex Stout are all memorable crime/espionage writers for the unique characters they create. They are my favorites and alas, I've read all their books, some more than once.

Also loved Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect TV series- she was extraordinary in the role of lead detective. There was another crime show on Acorn, the name of which I can't recall or figure out, which was so grittily realistic the bad guy actually won in the end. That was a first in my experience. I think the Brits really nail the realistic portrayal of crime and cop shows.

For my whole life i have loved reading crime novels, i began with the 87 precinct based books by Ed Mcbann and was hooked, for me its the psychology of people that fascinates, the gathering of evidence and the reason why people do what they do, as a Aspie my fascination of people and intent has always taken the path of intense observation from the outside,due in part i think that some peoples abilities.......... empathy, reciprocal conversation, group belonging evade myself, and this causes anxiety and has in the past caused depression.
Hey noticed i'm going off point LOL
It would be amazing if someone out their shared my love or why not tell me the type of books you love any why.

More into True Crime for reading, than mysteries or suspense, or whatevr genre fictional crime stuff falls into, but watch cop shows and legal dramas on tv all the time. Probably my favourite genre for shows.

I'm hooked on Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, at the moment. Agatha Christie's Poirot novels are good too.

New Threads

Top Bottom