• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone know what these are?

Aspergers_Aspie

Anyone know what these are? (see attached photos) there are spotted about in some streets

Attachments

• IMG_20200511_102037.jpg
    IMG_20200511_102037.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20200511_101620.jpg
    IMG_20200511_101620.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 201
Those look attached pretty permanently, and high enough off the ground that they'd be out of reach of people. Unless it's just part of some larger apparatus, my guess would also be some kind of air measurement machine.

I'm not sure. I've wondered about something similar in nature: In the smallish city near where I live there are overhead cameras monitoring every intersection now. I seriously doubt the city budget allowed for the installation of the cameras so I wonder where the money came from to pay for such an expense....

I've never seen anything like them here in the city.
My best guess too would be an air quality measurement device. But, don't know. Odd.

Some other ones here

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_175612.jpg
    IMG_20200526_175612.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200526_175610.jpg
    IMG_20200526_175610.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20200526_175604.jpg
    IMG_20200526_175604.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 120
Makes me think of a rain gauge, but no markings.
Definitely looks like they are to catch or measure something.
Maybe there is something in that rubber over the bottom to attract some insect?
We have little traps they put out that attracts and captures fruit flies and mosquitos
so they can test them for disease they carry.

Not a very good picture, but, here is a mosquito trap project in Pensacola
that is strapped to posts there. Similiar.
mosquitotrap.jpg

You can see the size of them here, next to this ruler, they are in scotland

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_060347.jpg
    IMG_20200709_060347.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 121
We should get William Shatner to investigate for his show on the History Channel.
The Unexplained!

Could they be air quality monitors?

Did a Google search, they don’t look too dissimilar from a couple of UK based companies models, but bigger square sensors are more common.

No certainty at all, just a thought.

Makes me think of a rain gauge, but no markings.
Definitely looks like they are to catch or measure something.
Maybe there is something in that rubber over the bottom to attract some insect?
We have little traps they put out that attracts and captures fruit flies and mosquitos
so they can test them for disease they carry.

Not a very good picture, but, here is a mosquito trap project in Pensacola
that is strapped to posts there. Similiar.View attachment 62332

Our state ag department and Miss. State University have a program for participating farmers to monitor insect pests. Florida probably does the same thing for citrus crops. I used to know a woman who worked for the county ag extension service. Her job was to ride around on a 4-wheeler every day and collect the bug jars placed around the fields for the lab to identify and count the pests, and to install new insect collectors. Unfortunately, she was going too fast one day and overlooked a huge ditch in the middle of a field which she crashed into. She was hurt but eventually recovered. I always thought that would be a fun job - outdoors, all alone in the countryside, take food and water with you, etc. - except for lack of air conditioning. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom