• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have troubles multitasking?

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
I have this problem where I would be on the phone and then I see something interesting on TV, I start ending up focusing on what was on TV and what the person is saying to me on the phone and I do this on occasions and it that so happens that it was today. :lol2:

Is anyone like that or have anything similar to that?

at times but i remember being in school and on the way to a class id be reading and walking at the same time lol never a good idea because i never knew where i was going and would not walk straight lol.

when i cook i can not have distractions such as tv or other people...

That happens to me sometimes, now that I think about it. :lol:
I could be talking to somebody over the phone, then become completely distracted from something on TV. or an idea that suddenly popped into my head. There are also times when I have a complete moment of stupidity like saying "Whaa?" right after realizing I zoned out and somebody just asked me a question. :p

The TV is extremely distracting; it's capable of preventing me from doing just about whatever else I'm supposed to be doing. (And, when I'm not watching it, the noise it makes may really irritate me). This is one benefit of living alone - I don't have roommates to turn on the TV when I don't want to watch it.

Yeah I have major problems with that too. When I am on the phone I sometimes have to fight myself to not turn on the computer or watch the TV because I will completely miss many things that are being said to me. I usually prefer not to use the phone much anyway because I don't like them. My issues with multitasking have presented issues in the past with school and it can be a challenge when I am at work too, I just try to make the best of it.

I cannot focus on two things like that at once. I also do not really like to talk on the phone anyway. I do, but I really just say what I need to say and hang up. I get aggrivated with people when they want to chat, especially at work. A fair bit of what I do requires my undivided attention, so if someone starts talking to me, I stop working. One error could result in a fine from the state, increased monitoring and testing, or even me losing my professional license. I sometimes stay up late just so I can have some quiet time with the TV off where I can think.

Not very well at multi- tasking, I am easily distracted, and zone out with the telephone thing as well. I don't care for the phone much either, I dislike making phone calls. I am not real big on text messaging. I would rather text someone than talk on the phone though.

Oh, absolutely. And I work in a job that demands multitasking. I'm also easily distracted, tend to zone out, so it is a constant struggle some days. But I look at it this way, I really don't have a choice. I am going to have to work at some job or another and no matter where I go (even if it were my dream job) I would still have to deal with these issues. So it is either run from them (and end up unemployed and on the streets) or tackle them as best I can. And I have found it does get better as I get older. When I first started working I had a hard time understanding what was wanted of me; now I still have some learning difficulties but not as many.

It's destroyed my career even with anti-anxiety medication. I'm trying to work as a pharmacist. It's hell everytime the phone rings or I get distracted from doing one task. I have trouble leaving the one task, going to the new one and I end up getting messed up in both. That job has been torture for me especially if you mix all the social stuff necessary. Trying to work the till is a nightmare. I have no other choices though because I have no other talents and I'm too old to do anything else.

If I try to multitask I end up getting absolutely nothing done. I find that the only way I can get anything done is to prioritise and to concentrate on one task at a time.

New Threads

Top Bottom