• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone got any old school report extracts they'd like to share?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
I came across a annual review for myself earlier and found it quite interesting. It was from my first year at school, I was in a Speech and Language unit at the time. This was back in 1996. Quite interesting because at the time few professionals really had the view of what autism is like compared to today's standards. If they had known what they know today I would have been diagnosed with autism because of my speech delay. I was diagnosed with Asperger's last year because apparently you can "move up or down the spectrum" and you wouldn't think I had a language delay with the way I speak now. This is an interesting thing considering what all the professionals claim on the internet, particularly about Asperger's since it's based on those early years.

Without further ado, I will include extracts from this review, feel free to find your own reports and put whatever you are comfortable with (if any) about yourself as you were growing up. It would be interesting to see similarities with other people out there.

Personal and Social Development

Dylan has settled well into the unit routines and comes into school willingly. He participates in unit activities and has made good relationships with the children and staff. Dylan is a very quiet child who would rather sit back and watch before participating in activities.

Receptive Language

There are some problems with the abstract language used in subjects such as maths.

Expressive Language

Dylan's ability to speak in sentences has improved considerably since he started school. He will now give long and detailed descriptions of things that have happened or that interest him. He has acquired some quite sophisticated vocabulary and adult phrases such as "actually" which he uses appropriately. It is difficult to analyse the structure of his language accurately, due to poor intelligibility
(what ever that means), but it appears to be immature rather than disordered, i.e. he uses sentences one would expect from a younger child.

Social Communication skills

Dylan tends to be a loner, preferring his own company to mixing with others. He will play alongside other children but is still developing the ability to participate as part of a group. We have worked on simple acting and role play games. Dylan's behaviour is quite immature in these activities and he needs adult guidance. Although he is generally a quiet child, he has a strong personality and can be intolerant of other children's behaviour.

Integration

Dylan integrates for playtimes with the whole school, he did not enjoy this during his first term and would remain next to the Nursery Nurse. He has now made a few friends from the other reception classes and will play quietly alongside them.

Dylan also attends a reception class with the other unit reception children from the unit and the Nursery Nurse for an art and craft afternoon. He tells me that this is too noisy.

So that's just some of the feedback from a four page document that was written up. I found it quite interesting, mainly because it's about me, I don't know if anyone else will find it even slightly interesting. See if you can't still some of your stuff on here as well. Might be useful for people to accept a diagnosis if they see similarities with the development of others on here.

Last edited:
I always kind of smirk when I recall middle school geography. Where I got an "A"- and a "4" (conduct needs improvement).

She didn't like me, but at least she remained objective as an educator. :p

Much later I minored in geography in college without incident.

Last edited:
Primary school when I was 6, "Katie is improving in her tendency to boss other children."

Maybe if the other kids had done things correctly, they wouldn't have needed bossing about :p

Things that cropped up time and time again in my school reports were:

"has so much potential and is so bright, but will not apply herself"

"disruptive, rude"

Two comments can be found in all of my school reports in some form or other:

" - is highly intelligent and a keen learner, but is very quiet. She does not volunteer to answer questions despite knowing the answers. We hope that next year she will make greater effort to actively participate in class discussions. " (quote from my year 3 school report)

" - isolates herself from her peers, not participating in group work or playing with others during school breaks. She needs encouragement to be more outgoing." (quote from year 3 school report)

I will try to dig some up.

I was always cheerful till this "hit" then it was like that girl in the breakfast club who sat in the back, though i did not have dandruff. But that was rather creative of her to make snow out of her dandruff. I think she had autism for certain.

One of my favourites that was on all my elementary school report cards, year after year:

"Mia is a good student, and gets along well with her classmates, she fails to apply herself. She doesn't take her schoolwork seriously."

Wonder if that was the reason that caused me to skip two grades in elementary school? I was bored the entire time, nothing challenged me, when other students were learning to read and write, I was reading books my father was reading and understanding them on a basic level.

The sisters at the convent had no provision for students who didn't fit in, they simply made you pray more, do more needlepoint and sewing and work in the kitchen. What an awful waste of my potential. They did the same thing to my Mother.

Last edited:
At the age of 15, school Psychologists said I was "very immature" for my age, pardon?! We didn't know at the time, but I'm Aspie for chuff sake! I wasn't supposed to be incredibly mature at 15.

But everyone except my ex and a small gathering of friends hated me back then anyway, including most of the teachers.

I always got lots of the doesn't apply himself and doesn't follow instructions remarks. School was pure hell as far as stress. I dreaded getting called on and not knowing the answer. Back then we could miss up to 30 days per year and luckily my mom let me stay out every year.

But I could beat nearly the whole school in a spelling bee!

I have them lying around somewhere, will have to look.
One of my favorites I can recall from when I was three:

"Eva refuses to come down from the windowsill to eat lunch, because she is a koala bear and will therefore only eat eucalyptus leaves."

In every single report I have ever gotten;
"Ability and willingness to work in a group: Needs improvement."

One time in high school, I cut class and walked around the halls. Me and a dean (someone who works at the school whose job is to punish students for breaking the rules) happened to walk by each other, and she asked me what I was doing. As I was talking to her, SHE THOUGHT I WAS ON DRUGS, when in reality I am just autistic and that's what I act/speak like. Anyways, I tried to lie to her about what i was doing and got caught.

She made me follow her to the deans' office. She sat me down with her at her desk and opened some sort of file about me on the computer. There, I saw different paragraphs from my teachers written about me. So, that means that my high school kept reports of students secretly written by the students' teachers. I never got to read the paragraphs though because I was busy talking to the dean.

When I was 8, they said in Junior school that I had the spelling and grammar of an 11 year old.

And my spelling and grammar are still spot on nearly 33 years later, that's why some people on various forums don't like me because I'm extremely pedantic, your equals you're! :D

Found some more of my reports. When I was in daycare it mostly mentions that I only wanted to play with boys and had a very rich imagination when it came to playing, but I was bossy and insisted on playing the way I imagined it.

In elementary school it mostly stated that I was a smart kid but I was stubborn and did not want to apply myself. And that I spent most of my time in the classroom dreaming and inventing more fun assignments for myself instead of following the teacher's instructions. In retrospect I can understand why my teachers didn't like me, as I refused to do my homework because I didn't see the point (I already knew what they were teaching) and I had a nasty habit of correcting their spelling and language.

In high school they just called me lazy, arrogant and unmotivated.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom