• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone ever use a smart faucet?

Pink Jazz

I wonder, has anyone here ever used a smart faucet before (any brand)? I am interested in buying a U by Moen smart faucet; apparently Moen is the only brand that will work for our setup since the Delta and Kohler options require a non-switched power outlet (which is taken by our dishwasher), but I'd imagine they work a similar way.

You mean like the kind they have at the grocery store bathrooms?

I sure hope not. Those things are garbage. Never work right.

No, I looked up the one he mentioned, it's very different. WAY more advanced. Has voice recognition, all these different functions, doesnt look totally awful...

Blows my mind, what people come up with. I tell ya, it sure sounds better than my faucet in my bathroom. Blasted thing, I can never get the temperature or pressure right. Always with the scalding.

I've been wanting one, but I want one that does temp. And not something that is hard configured for hot % vs cold %, but actual temperature sensors with valve relays. I want it in the shower and where I wash my hands. I looked a while back, and can't exactly remember what I found. I ordered parts, so I have a bin ready for a project. But if there is an affordable one now that would be good to know!

The idea of telling something to give a measured amount of water is interesting, I haven't thought about that. Would be neat to have that on the fridge, a water line...and a milk (other?) line. "Alexa fridge dispense 2 cups milk"...what could possibly go wrong? But on a serious note, something closer to that would make a kitchen more accessible to those who love to cook, but not enough spoons to do it.

And think of how many less dishes I'll do, it is paying off in my head already. :)

Touchless faucets are standard in airports and other places. The temperature of the water is preset. I don't think it would be a good idea in a home because efficient handwashing requires hot water.

I talk to myself all the time but somehow I just can't wrap my head around the idea of talking to an inanimate object (unless I'm yelling at it. Stay! Stay dangit, no, don't you dare roll off that table!)

I can't even use Bixby for that reason.

These smart home objects fascinate me, they're incredibly futuristic. On the other hand, there's a lot more stuff to go wrong with them.

I wonder, has anyone here ever used a smart faucet before (any brand)? I am interested in buying a U by Moen smart faucet; apparently Moen is the only brand that will work for our setup since the Delta and Kohler options require a non-switched power outlet (which is taken by our dishwasher), but I'd imagine they work a similar way.

There should be two outlets where your dishwasher is plugged in.

Touchless faucets are standard in airports and other places. The temperature of the water is preset. I don't think it would be a good idea in a home because efficient handwashing requires hot water.

Touchless faucets for home use have have a lever to control the temperature. However, a smart faucet is more than just a touchless faucet, it also has voice control.

There should be two outlets where your dishwasher is plugged in.

Our outlet underneath our sink is wired as a half-hot and is shared between the dishwasher and the garbage disposal, with the garbage disposal side controlled by a switch.

Most of these tend to be temperature based springs to adjust. I have yet to find one that works with a higher than normal hot water. But having temp based washing station be at exactly the right temp could be more effective.

These smart home objects fascinate me, they're incredibly futuristic. On the other hand, there's a lot more stuff to go wrong with them.

Not to mention the privacy implications. BUT, if you have a light sensitive person in a house, the ability to bring the lights at just the right dim to not bump into things has been just amazing addition.

UPDATE:

We installed our U by Moen smart faucet on Monday, and here is our experience. We did struggle removing the old Delta Leland faucet, but installing the new U by Moen Arbor was a breeze. Alexa setup mostly went without issue, although it took a while for the faucet to calibrate to our house to calculate the minimum and maximum temperatures (we might have to recalibrate in the winter). The Alexa commands seem to work well, and we haven't had any issues with the faucet losing connection. It can either be controlled via Alexa, via the motion sensor, or manually. There is a little indicator LED on the top that indicates the temperature going from cold blue, to purple, to pink, to red hot. We are quite happy with it and we would recommend it.

Now one thing that seems to be somewhat bothering me is that the finish on our Delta soap dispenser doesn't exactly match our new faucet. I think our soap dispenser and our old Delta Leland faucet are Arctic Stainless, while our new U by Moen Arbor faucet is Spot-Resist Stainless. Arctic Stainless is a more glossy, cooler finish, while Spot-Resist Stainless is a less glossy, warmer finish. I think Delta's closest finish to Moen's Spot-Resist Stainless is their SpotShield Stainless, while Moen does not have an equivalent to Arctic Stainless. Since these soap dispensers are $40+, I don't think it is worth changing just to match the finish.

New Threads

Top Bottom