• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else into fantasy novels?

jbalka

Looking for kindred spirits :) I've always been a fantasy fan. I read a lot of it, and I'm attempting to write a fantasy novel myself. Anyone else enjoy reading fantasy? Who are your favorite authors? I really enjoy reading

Robin Hobb (read the Farseer Trilogy, started the Rain Wilds Chronicles)
Anne McCaffery-- Dragonriders of Pern series, though technically sci-fi (my favorite is The Masterharper of Pern)
N.K. Jemisin (I've read her Broken Earth books, and I'm currently working through her Inheritance Trilogy)
Patrick Rothfuss
Tamora Pierce (she writes young adult books)
Brandon Sanderson (really enjoyed Mistborn, but I have a hard time getting into some of his other books)
And, obviously, Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion :D

I love fantasy books! My favorite authors for fantasy are of course JRR Tolkien and also Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. They've written so many books together I would have to write book just to list them all! Hahaha Start out with the "Twins" series if you've never read any of their work and you will be in love!

Also try reading RA Salvatore he has many many books out as well some of my favorites are about Dritz Do'Urden starting with "The Crystal Shard".

Love a good fantasy book.
My favourite fantasy authors are :

Michael Moorcock, David Gemmell, Raymond, E, Feist.

So many good memories of everyone of their books.
I was obsessed with their work.

Was a huge lord of the rings fan and read a lot of Tolkien books including the hobbit and the similanion,fantasy has always been a big interest of mine.

*clears throat*

Raymond E Feist, especially loved the Riftwar Saga
R.A. Salvatore. Love the Dark Elf trilogy, love the Icewind Dale stories. Eh, love his work.
Robert Jordan. Loved Wheel of Time, he probably wrote other stuff as well :p
George RR Martin, obviously.
H.P. Lovecraft, even though his writing style is a bit old-fashioned.

I know I'm forgetting many writers but these are definitely some of my all-time favorites.

I love fantasy novels myself. My favorites are David (and Leiah) Eddings and Raymond Feist. I never have been able to get through Tolkein's books. I try every few years but just can't get into them. I did love the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis though. Although they haven't aged well (I loved them as a kid but not so much now), I read almost everything by Peirs Anthony growing up.

I like Tad Williams as an author, but his books tend to be anti-climatic for some reason. My favorite of his is "Tailchaser's Song" which is sort of like "Watership Down" but with cats. I love cats so it was doubly interesting to me.

I know I too am forgetting many authors I've enjoyed over the years (oh, oh another one is the great Neil Gaiman!), but that's all I can think of right now.

Yay! So much fantasy!

I love fantasy books! My favorite authors for fantasy are of course JRR Tolkien and also Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. They've written so many books together I would have to write book just to list them all! Hahaha Start out with the "Twins" series if you've never read any of their work and you will be in love!

I actually own one Weis book (Storm Riders with Robert Krammes), but for some reason I never finished it though I was certainly enjoying it! I'll check out the Twins series :D

Love a good fantasy book.
My favourite fantasy authors are :

Michael Moorcock, David Gemmell, Raymond, E, Feist.

So many good memories of everyone of their books.
I was obsessed with their work.

I've read Magician:Apprentice, and I need to get through the rest of the series!

Was a huge lord of the rings fan and read a lot of Tolkien books including the hobbit and the similanion,fantasy has always been a big interest of mine.

Tolkien was probably the one out of all of them that I was most obsessed with. The world is just so big that you can really dive in deep. I was actually first introduced to Tolkien through the LOTR movies, and I remember sitting through Fellowship, not knowing what was going on, but then when someone said something in Elvish I left the room to look up Quenya and Sindarin online and see if I could learn them haha.

*clears throat*

Raymond E Feist, especially loved the Riftwar Saga
R.A. Salvatore. Love the Dark Elf trilogy, love the Icewind Dale stories. Eh, love his work.
Robert Jordan. Loved Wheel of Time, he probably wrote other stuff as well :p
George RR Martin, obviously.
H.P. Lovecraft, even though his writing style is a bit old-fashioned.

I know I'm forgetting many writers but these are definitely some of my all-time favorites.

I just read the first Wheel of Time book last month-- it was slow for me, but would you say it's worth it to keep going with the series? I already own the second and third books!

I loved the first Game of Thrones book (I love the characters and the plot), but they're a little intense for me in the graphic violence department. It was a goal of mine to read them all this year, so maybe I'll read the next couple!

I love fantasy novels myself. My favorites are David (and Leiah) Eddings and Raymond Feist. I never have been able to get through Tolkein's books. I try every few years but just can't get into them. I did love the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis though. Although they haven't aged well (I loved them as a kid but not so much now), I read almost everything by Peirs Anthony growing up.

I like Tad Williams as an author, but his books tend to be anti-climatic for some reason. My favorite of his is "Tailchaser's Song" which is sort of like "Watership Down" but with cats. I love cats so it was doubly interesting to me.

I know I too am forgetting many authors I've enjoyed over the years (oh, oh another one is the great Neil Gaiman!), but that's all I can think of right now.

I actually didn't read the Narnia books until I was about 19 or 20, and I really enjoyed them! I don't know if they have much reread value for me, since I don't have the benefit of childhood nostalgia, but they were great even if I wasn't a young kid.

I haven't tried Eddings or Williams yet, but thanks for mentioning Tailchaser's Song-- I'll keep an eye out for it :D

@jbalka if you already own the second and third book I'd suggest you give them a try. The books are a bit slow at times, especially as the writer introduces more and more characters and the story switches between them, but without giving away too much, it has some epic plot twists. I started reading the books 20 years ago, and every time a new book came out I reread all the previous books so I could catch up with the story again and remember every detail. I've reread the first 8 books 6 times for that reason, and I still didn't grow bored of them. I wanted to reread the entire series last winter but I can't seem to find the first book :p
Personal preference though, I like series with strong character development. It does get a little brutal at times, although not as much so as Game of Thrones.

@jbalka if you already own the second and third book I'd suggest you give them a try. The books are a bit slow at times, especially as the writer introduces more and more characters and the story switches between them, but without giving away too much, it has some epic plot twists. I started reading the books 20 years ago, and every time a new book came out I reread all the previous books so I could catch up with the story again and remember every detail. I've reread the first 8 books 6 times for that reason, and I still didn't grow bored of them. I wanted to reread the entire series last winter but I can't seem to find the first book :p
Personal preference though, I like series with strong character development. It does get a little brutal at times, although not as much so as Game of Thrones.

Alright, I'll take your word for it :) I'm always for character development-- I prefer great characters over overly-plotted books. While reading The Eye of the World, I did keep in mind that it's a super long series. There's so much hype that I do want to get into them!

Also not necessarily "fantasy", but the Gunslinger series by Stephen King are hands down my favorite novels. Also he did write one actual fantasy novel "The Eyes of the Dragon", which was also spectacular.

@Blast off

I more familiar with Stephen Kings horror stories,I remember it freaked me out as a kid but I heard there is a movie coming out based more on his fantasy story called the dark tower.

I more familiar with Stephen Kings horror stories,I remember it freaked me out as a kid but I heard there is a movie coming out based more on his fantasy story called the dark tower.
The dark tower is the theme of the gunslinger novels, I'm sure they'll butcher it like most Stephen king books turned to movies.. But a great read and not scary, at least they weren't to me.. Now "IT" was scary ... So scary I read it at least 6 times hahaha.

Fantasy novels changed my life! There I was, living my miserable childhood, escaping as much as possible into books. But all I knew of books was in the juvenile fiction section of the public library. I was just starting books targeting tween girls when I had summer assigned reading of "The Hobbit", and since my brother had a copy of "The Fellowship of the Ring", I read them back to back - I was SO hooked! From then on I was all about LOTR, Dragonlance, and any other kind of fantasy book I could get a hold of - even if it was trite/bad, lol. That's also how I become interested in novels about King Arthur and Robin Hood, then anything old - medieval or ancient. Throughout my teens, all I wanted most was to just live in a different world. The Renaissance Festival was my closest approximation to that experience :). It all spurred my interest in studying classics, even Latin, and I even believe it has all really influenced my sense of spirituality. Now I am more into fantastical short stories and children's stories (George MacDonald is an author I want to start reading), but I do want to reread LOTR and finally also read the Silmarillion. Also, I've watched all the Harry Potter movies but haven't read the books. I think I'd really enjoy those - especially those lovely illustrated versions that are coming out! Oh, I also want to read the Madeleine L'Engle series. Actually, before I knew what fantasy really was, I do remember coming across "A Wrinkle in Time" and "The Green Futures of Tycho" and really loving them, but I didn't know that there was a whole genre of similar books just waiting for me to get into...

Last edited:
Looking for kindred spirits :) I've always been a fantasy fan. I read a lot of it, and I'm attempting to write a fantasy novel myself. Anyone else enjoy reading fantasy? Who are your favorite authors? I really enjoy reading

Anne McCaffery-- Dragonriders of Pern series, though technically sci-fi (my favorite is The Masterharper of Pern)
N.K. Jemisin (I've read her Broken Earth books, and I'm currently working through her Inheritance Trilogy)
Patrick Rothfuss
Brandon Sanderson (really enjoyed Mistborn, but I have a hard time getting into some of his other books)
And, obviously, Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion :D

Yes, I enjoy reading fantasy books. My favourite fantasy authors include:

Raymond E. Feist
Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar)

Patrick Rothfuss

Here are some authors and series that may be of interest:

Fantasy

Michelle Sagara (Cast)
Anne Bishop (The Blood, The Others)
Raymond E. Feist (Empire, Talon)
Trudi Canavan (Magician's Guild)
Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel)
Lian Hearn (Otori)
Scott Lynch (Locke Lamora)
Lindsay Buroker (Emperor's Edge)
Mark Lawrence (Thorns)
Gail Carriger (Alexa Tarabotti)
Rachel Aaron (Heartstrikers)
Maria V Snyder (Study)
Naomi Novak (Temeraire, Uprooted)

Urban fantasy

Kim Harrison (Rachel Morgan)
Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels)
Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson)
Chloe Neill (Chicago Vampires)
Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer)
Debra Dunbar (Imp)
Benedict Jacka (Alex Verus)
Sergei Lukyanenko (Watch)

Young adult fantasy

Tamora Pierce (Tortall)
Sherwood Smith (Crown Duel)
Sarah J Maas (Throne of Glass)
K.M. Shea (Princess Ahira, Fairytales)
Diana Wynne Jones (Moving Castle)
Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles)
Jodi Meadows (Orphan Queen)
Jennifer A. Nielsen (False Prince)
Megan Whalen Turner (Attolia)

Sci-fi fantasy

Rhonda Mason (Empress Game)
Garth Nix (A Confusion of Princes)
J.A. Sutherland (Alexis Carew)
Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay)
Tanya Huff (Valor)

Fantasy novels changed my life! There I was, living my miserable childhood, escaping as much as possible into books. But all I knew of books was in the juvenile fiction section of the public library. I was just starting books targeting tween girls when I had summer assigned reading of "The Hobbit", and since my brother had a copy of "The Fellowship of the Ring", I read them back to back - I was SO hooked! From then on I was all about LOTR, Dragonlance, and any other kind of fantasy book I could get a hold of - even if it was trite/bad, lol. That's also how I become interested in novels about King Arthur and Robin Hood, then anything old - medieval or ancient. Throughout my teens, all I wanted most was to just live in a different world. The Renaissance Festival was my closest approximation to that experience :). It all spurred my interest in studying classics, even Latin, and I even believe it has all really influenced my sense of spirituality. Now I am more into fantastical short stories and children's stories (George MacDonald is an author I want to start reading), but I do want to reread LOTR and finally also read the Silmarillion. Also, I've watched all the Harry Potter movies but haven't read the books. I think I'd really enjoy those - especially those lovely illustrated versions that are coming out! Oh, I also want to read the Madeleine L'Engle series. Actually, before I knew what fantasy really was, I do remember coming across "A Wrinkle in Time" and "The Green Futures of Tycho" and really loving them, but I didn't know that there was a whole genre of similar books just waiting for me to get into...
It's so awesome to hear how fantasy has positively affected people's lives! I always find it very inspiring. You should read the Harry Potter books at least once-- I was sooo obsessed with them when I was younger! I carved wands in the backyard (shaved tree bark off sticks with a rock...) and everything :D

Yes, I enjoy reading fantasy books. My favourite fantasy authors include:

Raymond E. Feist

Here are some authors and series that may be of interest:

Fantasy

Michelle Sagara (Cast)
Anne Bishop (The Blood, The Others)
Raymond E. Feist (Empire, Talon)
Trudi Canavan (Magician's Guild)
Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel)
Lian Hearn (Otori)
Scott Lynch (Locke Lamora)
Mark Lawrence (Thorns)
Gail Carriger (Alexa Tarabotti)
Rachel Aaron (Heartstrikers)
Maria V Snyder (Study)
Naomi Novak (Temeraire, Uprooted)

Urban fantasy

Kim Harrison (Rachel Morgan)
Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels)
Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson)
Chloe Neill (Chicago Vampires)
Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer)
Debra Dunbar (Imp)
Benedict Jacka (Alex Verus)
Sergei Lukyanenko (Watch)

Young adult fantasy

Tamora Pierce (Tortall)
Sherwood Smith (Crown Duel)
Sarah J Maas (Throne of Glass)
K.M. Shea (Princess Ahira, Fairytales)
Diana Wynne Jones (Moving Castle)
Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles)
Jodi Meadows (Orphan Queen)
Jennifer A. Nielsen (False Prince)
Megan Whalen Turner (Attolia)

Sci-fi fantasy

Rhonda Mason (Empress Game)
Garth Nix (A Confusion of Princes)
J.A. Sutherland (Alexis Carew)
Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay)
Tanya Huff (Valor)

How could I forget about The Lies of Locke Lamora! I read that book last year, and it blew my mind. I read a lot but I'm quite picky (which I don't really like-- I wish I could read more and just sit back and enjoy). Locke Lamora completely engrossed me-- it was fast-paced, but well-written and it was a lot of fun to read.

Also-- a fellow Tamora Pierce fan! I don't meet a lot of people who have read her books. They shaped my teenage-hood!

I'll definitely check out some of the other authors you mentioned as well :)

I've always been terrible with author names, so I'll post some of the series I loved. My preferred books range from fantasy to urban fantasy, some sci-fi to historical fiction and supernatural things so some titles might not crossover well.

The Pendragon series.
Artemis Fowl series.
The Books of Abarat by Clive Barker (I highly recommend...It gets dark quickly and those images give a nice creepy happy edge to things)
Harry Potter
Anything Tolkien (of course)
The Expanse (more sci-fi but meh)
Books based off games and other media (currently going through dragon age and Mass effect)
Books about time travel
Neil gaiman
Manga...
Web comics (highly recommend dovecote princess/Wingless, Girl Genius)
Lovecraft
Steven King
Dean Koontz

And so on.

I've also been trying to write a original story (more of a world once thought as virtual reality game turning not to be that... many genres) for a bit now. If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

I'm currently working my way through the fantasy novels by Andrzej Sapkowski, which are what The Witcher series is based on. Having played The Witcher III: Wild Hunt prior to starting these books, it quickly became apparent how much effort CD Projekt put into making their series reflect the books.

New Threads

Top Bottom