• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else have comfort items?

Coupe

Does anyone else have comfort items they take with them everywhere to help them feel calm and comfortable, or just less anxious and lonely?

Here's photo with some of mine:

For me would be my headphones as I can tune out the world and prevent my panic attacks. At some point I want to a rockhopper penguin stuffed animal.

A large bag. Inside that bag I have sunscreen, sunglasses, earplugs, my actual purse, cell phone, and several books. Each of these items inside the bag is something I might actually use. But even if I don't actually use a particular item, having the security of knowing it is with me "just in case" gives me a feeling of safety. The books are what are especially comforting. They are always two copies from the same set.

Although I do sometimes wonder if I will get shoulder problems down the road from carrying so much weight!

I suppose my tablet, a small notebook with a pen and my phone count as such. Oh, and my iPod... not sure if they're comfort items, since I probably will entertain myself by being annoying to others if I don't have something to do.

Suppose in a sense they're there to warrant more comfort to others around me, lol.

I guess in a sense I always feel I just need to have something to do and just idling, not keeping my mind busy on something I want doesn't work for me. It feels like a waste of my time when I'm on my way somewhere and just have to spend time by staring out of a window. It's perhaps part of why I hate the notion of driving a car, since it keeps me from indulging in things I want. Especially when you are already being limited by how fast you can reach your destintation. Yeah... I suppose I need comfort items, even if it's just for the sake of not being annoyed of not spending my time useful (mileage may vary to what one sees as useful though)

I can't take my Gibson Les Paul "studio" guitar with me everywhere, but if I could, I would. I don't like being too far away from it. I don't even know why, it's not the best guitar I own and it's far from the most expensive, but I'm just really attached to it for reasons I don't fully understand.

My comfort item is my cell phone! It has to be always in reach even if I seldom use it.

Me too!!! If I forget it, I almost have an anxiety attack! I try to think back to when we didn't have cell phones, but it worries me cause I have used my cell phone a couple times in the car because something went wrong - either to call a tow truck, to use navigation to find someplace or to actually call a place with the phone for information. You have to admit cell phones help out a lot! (And I've used it for entertainment purposes when I have to wait for some reason and I'm not in the mood for small talk - yes that happens sometimes with NT's too). :)

Cell phone, ipod, Kindle, pocketknife. In cold weather, I nearly always wear a beanie. And in warm weather, I almost always wear a loop bandana (like Buff).

I would love to carry my guitar around with me too, lol, but I don't play well enough for other people to appreciate it. :)

My comfort item when I was a kid was a little bracelet/wrap I made and always had on my wrist. For a little while it was a small toy frog I took with me everywhere. For years after it was a pendant with of the Chinese symbol for Courage (which the circle at the top broke, and I thought I'd put it somewhere safe for the duration of seven moves, but now I can't find it and it's driving me nuts). I don't really have anything now I carry 24/7. But I never leave the house without my pocket knife, lighter, and fingernail clippers in my left pocket. Ya never know when you'll need them!

I always took my bear, Peanut to places with me. :D
And you can see him in my profile picture, which saves me the work of uploading any photo. :p

My keys; they make me feel secure and they're something I can hold in my hand, which is really really important.

My key ring. There is a particular object on it that is a constant companion in my stimming escapades, and I would be lost without it.

Does anyone else have comfort items they take with them everywhere to help them feel calm and comfortable, or just less anxious and lonely?

Here's photo with some of mine:

Is that a Sansa Fuze on the right? I have one too (a blue one). I mostly use it in the car.
My other comfort items are a tube of chapstick and a nail clipper. I never know when I'm going to need them. I also have a special locket I like to wear, but I don't wear it every day or to every place.

I never leave home without my old timey compass and zippo (for basic survival), some kind of song playing device (usually an ipod or an iphone, although I also use an old walkman from time to time, whatever works) and one of my small boxes with the Moroccan soap, which I like to smell; it relaxes me in a way. There are also a few necklaces which I'd wear or carry around. On longer or overnight journeys I always take my notebook, whatever book it is I'm reading at the time and my guitar.

The real comfort items tend to stay at home though, because they are irreplaceable. Those are things like a poem that was sent to me, a photograph taken by an old lover with a short message written on it and a post-it written by her daughter on the back, a small drawing by my gf, some letters, some books I hold dear, a napkin with a lipstick kiss, little notes, things like that. Small tokens of affection and love really. I keep those around, here at my desk and at my bed. I sometimes fall asleep with my guitar, but a couple days ago I fell asleep with the poem because it really brought me comfort while I was feeling low. When I have a particularly difficult journey to go on, I might take some of those with me too, but I just don't want to lose them. Where the other items help me with some sensory issues - the music, the soap, even the zippo with its sharp edges I like to run my fingers against - these make me feel less alone.

To make things really sad the wall behind my screen has all the fan mail messages I got on tumblr glued to it. I know it's a fleeting thing to the people who wrote them, but to me it's a tangible proof that something I made affected people in a nice way, that I'm not the ghost or spectre I often feel like. They are there for self-esteem, to keep me from spiraling down in crippling doubt.

Yeah, that's about it probably. Maybe there are other things I don't think of right now, but you get the picture.

Well, I admit fully here, that right up to my 40's, I sucked my thumb and my rag was a pillow case, that I took particular liking to, due to how it felt lol with great pain, I did throw it away (well no choice, for it was falling apart) and also to act as: I do not suck my thumb now and amazingly, sometimes I get the urge, but never feel right or relaxed or comfortable and so, end up not!

My comforts come in the shape of my passport ( the panic of being out and stuck - living in France) My pocket knife, my sunglasses; my bible, but not currently, for the one I now have is too large, but have ordered a bag sized one. My tablet and my phone. And a sanitizer with a wad of toilet paper, for France is notorious for dirty public toilets! Oh and my little mp3 player. A tiny mirror and a blemish stick; still prone to blasted acne here and there!

I have a weird relationship with a blanket (that sounds strange!) it's rather old, something my mother bought before I was born and not very attractive (very 80's blocky bold blue pattern) sleeping bag. But, it is so so soft.

It's kinda like a comforter and I used to sleep on it for a long time, it's started stressing me out that it's getting old (and gaining holes etc) that I won't be able to find another one. My mother has another one but the dog has it.. and she won't give it to me!

It's not something I need to be with every day but I would be very upset if I was aware of something happening to it.

Mine is a book- whatever I am currently reading, & I'm Always reading one!!! Somehow I get along much better with books than reality & the characters are much more interesting than real people...

For me it's my watch. I need to know what time at any given time. If I break my watch, I replace right away. I am uncomfortable unless I can tell what time it is with a glance. I think it comes from so many years of keeping track of and selling my time. These days I do not pay much attention to schedules, but I still need my watch to feel comfortable.

New Threads

Top Bottom