• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else hate when people are around

IntoTheVoid

Hi, I am new here and I hope I will be accepted, while I am really a super weirdo.

Anyway I want to ask if you hate when people are around. I don't talk about the common "I am a misanthrope" thing.

I'm talking about people outside, that are not assumed.

An example: I am in a big city, so I assume it's full of people, thus it's totally OK there are crowds of people. I am not happy about it, but neither upset.

But when I am on a stroll in the middle of the night in a small village that is situated in the middle of nowehere, and I have never met anybody, or maybe only few people, then I meet a whole crowd, it totally ruins my mood. I mean - objectively speaking, they have the very same right to be there as I do, but still... I am always like "Hey! Why do they HAVE to be here? Can't they just go away?!"

Another example. Yesterday I went for a walk into the deep woods and I have never met anybody there, but yesterday... A whole family with three children showed up on the way. What was worst - I couldn't get rid of them! I met them again several times and inside I was extremely angry. They totally ruined the stroll for me!

Is this an autism thing? Are there more of you who has it as well?

Thanks for all stories you will share :)

I feel the same way. I'm in my head/own thoughts a lot, and a person appearing feels like an intrusion. Especially when they expect you to greet them or otherwise interact with them. If I'm out for a walk and I see a person, I avoid them or go the other way, so I don't have to talk to them.

Now that you mention it, yes, definitely! You can enjoy things until someone else shows up, then it's like all you can think about is "Please go away".

I'm inside my headphones enjoying uplifting music, I'm slightly doing the little half-hearted movements that people do when they're just sitting listening to music they love. Wiggling, raising my hands, tapping my feet, and moving my toes from side to side: tap to the left, tap to the right. Wish I could really let loose, footloose, and move in a non self-conscious fabulous and joyfully exuberant way, like the way the music feels. But I can't because I'm not in my own private place. People in the hospital beds around me are sick and won't appreciate my fabulous μ's dance moves or when I join in with the Oh yay! and Huuuu! and Hi! Hi! Hi!'s. :(

Haha just as I typed that a nurse came in and asked if I knew where the other patient is. It seems I'm actually alone in here and have been for some time now! :D:rolleyes:

I'm still not doing the happy happy joy joy dance in the acute oncology ward though. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm inside my headphones enjoying uplifting music, I'm slightly doing the little half-hearted movements that people do when they're just sitting listening to music they love. Wiggling, raising my hands, tapping my feet, and moving my toes from side to side: tap to the left, tap to the right. Wish I could really let loose and move in a non self-conscious way. But I can't because I'm not in my own private place. People in the hospital beds around me are sick and won't appreciate my fabulous μ's dance moves or when I join in with the Oh yay! and Huuuu! and Hi! Hi! Hi!'s. :(

Haha just as I typed that a nurse came in and asked if I knew where the other patient is. It seems I'm actually alone in here and have been for some time now! :D:rolleyes:

I'm still not doing the happy happy joy joy dance in the acute oncology ward though. :eek:

Only good news from the doctor i hope.

If I want to be alone and I'm somewhere by myself, I own that spot! It is my space and if people show up I get so annoyed I leave before my annoyance shows.
I know I have no right to that place more than anyone else, but I still feel like they have invaded MY space.

Only good news from the doctor i hope.
Yeah, thanks. I was told I'm okay to go home again. I'm home now and I did have a dance as soon as I got in. :D

I like being able to behave as I please.
Or, regardless of potential judgement, just be unobserved.
Then I can relax for real and not have the mental stress of being constantly prepared to instantly put the mask on. :)

Last edited:
Now l feel l belong here. Its not that l hate people, l just like to own my little bubble. I feel free alone. I feel confined if l have to hangout with someone. l need my head space, my body space, my eye space, mental empty space, then l can contemplate why people think l want them in my space or face or whatever.

Me too.

This is a little different but I also hate it when I hang out with friends and there are too many people. I don't mind if its like 4-5 but anymore than that and I start getting really uncomfortable. Even if it's all the same people I hang with. I just rather be around like 2-5 people at a time.

I can never fully relax if anyone else at all is around. This made having a roommate my first year of college a complete nightmare (through no fault of my roommate), it was horrible for my mental health.

There are times when I don't want to be around people. I don't know what I am seeking except to be alone. I enjoy solitude. Being around people just to be around people is an easy task. I think that my desire to experience a cold, remote cliff above a raging sea at night during a thunder storm is so appealing to me because it is the epitome of being alone with nature's fury. I also like the quiet, tranquil, muffled sound of snowy woods in winter. Nature offers so much in atmosphere. We get so focused on our destinations and creature comforts that we forget the beauty of raw nature. It's best to experience these alone. Perhaps this is the inspiration for "Haiku" - interpretations of seasons, sensations, intimate thoughts.

There are times when I don't want to be around people. I don't know what I am seeking except to be alone. I enjoy solitude. Being around people just to be around people is an easy task. I think that my desire to experience a cold, remote cliff above a raging sea at night during a thunder storm is so appealing to me because it is the epitome of being alone with nature's fury. I also like the quiet, tranquil, muffled sound of snowy woods in winter. Nature offers so much in atmosphere. We get so focused on our destinations and creature comforts that we forget the beauty of raw nature. It's best to experience these alone. Perhaps this is the inspiration for "Haiku" - interpretations of seasons, sensations, intimate thoughts.
Yes! You can be enjoying the peace of nature when suddenly a handful of people show up talking and totally messing up the peace that comes with nature. Anytime traveling out west, I always managed to find a secluded place to just sit and enjoy it - until other people pop into the picture.
I also think I draw people to me for some reason. I'm sure partly because I don't look intimidating so somewhere like a doctors office and there's an empty seat next to each person there, I'm the one that the person coming in decides to sit next to. I could never go anywhere without other's gathering around me.

I went through this. Taking my walks the other days I was find of course there are a few people here and there but it seems walking Saturday I always run into a stupid block party, loud music, tons of kids and adults. Ruins my walk as I have to pass through the block party but wait after I end up walking though another block party. Really.

I went through this. Taking my walks the other days I was find of course there are a few people here and there but it seems walking Saturday I always run into a stupid block party, loud music, tons of kids and adults. Ruins my walk as I have to pass through the block party but wait after I end up walking though another block party. Really.

Maybe your just that awesome. No block party is complete without you passing threw.

I always wait until after dark to walk my dog because it's much less likely that there will be other people out walking than in the daytime. I feel safe with him, he's a big dog who will bark and growl like he's going to attack if he sees someone (but really he just wants to say hi - I can see his tail wagging the whole time and if he gets to go up to someone he just sniffs them and then looks for love), so I'm not afraid that anyone will bother us, I just feel like I have to be on alert whenever there are people around and would rather just get lost in thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom