1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured anyone else confused

Discussion in 'Autism Spectrum News, Events and Research' started by Aspergers_Aspie, May 15, 2020.

1. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

Anyone else confused why people call non living thing things she? Like a boat. Why sometimes people call the ground the floor? As the floor is indoors and the ground is outdoors

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Juliettaa

Juliettaa Black Sheep. Society of One. V.I.P Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. onlything

onlything Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I suspect it's simply being sentimental towards an object, quite similar to how children are treating plush toys like living beings, just in a more 'adult' way. If an object creates a very specific pleasant feeling in a person, they become connected to it in a meaningful (for them) way. It's an expression of attachment, simply speaking.

Most people have at least one object like that, sometimes a boat, sometimes a phone, a toy, a laptop. The added gender pronoun is an affectionate way of describing imaginary stereotypical traits the object would perfectly posses if it was alive. Imaginary play, in a way? It seems to make people calmer and less lonely from what I've seen, like with children that create imaginary friends. Human need for creating a connection and a sense of belonging, I presume?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. menander

menander Active Member

Words make no sense when you boil it down. I am ore perplexed by people referring to me in some way or other. Yes, I am one of those people ( I do know I am human ) who do not connect to any of the adjectives anyone would lay on me. I don't know why this is. Others in same situation, I would love your ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mush

Mush Hiker

I’ve had the same argument with a friend from Poland many times, where he claims in their language a plethora everyday objects are assigned genders.
    He tried to convince me it was a more elevated and advanced language than English (not that I even care).

I told him it is stupid and infantile to assign genders to non-living things. We agreed to disagree.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. onlything

onlything Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Haven't thought of that before, actually, but there indeed are many languages that include grammar rules based on genders with each object having a specific one. Not sure why it works like this even in my native one, it's just part of the language, not something people question, since object's 'gender' isn't really treated like a real gender, more like a specific label that allows the use of the grammar well. So, languages such as German, Polish, Spanish etc are definitely more complex than English... But complex doesn't mean more advanced or better. While it's true there are many expressions you can't translate into English too well, the same could be said about translation from English to one of these languages. Complex also isn't necessarily bad. They're different, simply speaking, and neither is better or worse than the other. It's yet another type of perception of the world.

Your friend sounds a bit close-minded concerning his culture and language... but from my experiences Polish people tend to be like that, putting much pride in the complexity of the language and their history (to the point that we have a going joke in my old workplace: 'If you want to make a Pole talk, just ask them about their history').

I wouldn't say the assignment of gender pronouns to objects is infantile or stupid, simply based on traditions and grammar, since very often the correct form of every part of the sentence is based on the 'gender' of used objects, but it doesn't mean that these objects are treated as if they really had a gender of their own - it's simply a way of speaking. Maybe complicated more than necessary for some, but also in some ways quite charming, especially in poetry, if you learn it well enough.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I realized a very long time ago that it was preferable to seek out patterns in that which did not immediately make sense to me, rather than search for logic which may not be there. So even if some word or saying didn't make sense, I simply related to it in terms of how it was colloquially used.

Not a difficult process to me, I suppose enabled by a language which has a great deal of inconsistencies itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Every noun in the Spanish language is feminine or masculine. English has borrowed the tradition from its Latin roots. I think it's rather charming that ships are female in English, too.

I've never considered one language as superior to another but I certainly understand cultural pride in one's native tongue when it is criticized by outsiders. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

I just checked various Romance languages. It was only feminine in Italian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

This was a thread a long time ago! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Crossbreed

My screen shows the OP as early this morning. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Not so, Crossbreed. Other Spanish words for boats include lancha, chalupa, and salsera, all are feminine words.

Christopher Columbus, flying a Spanish flag, crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a ship named La Santa Maria (the Virgin Mary). It has been a longstanding maritime tradition to give boats the names of women, and boats in the past had female figureheads mounted on the bow. The reasons for the tradition is lost in time but there is no doubt that boats are viewed as feminine in many cultures.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Crossbreed

[​IMG] (I only checked "ship...")

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

If you personalize things or add human attributes- it's easier to sell things. So there psychological reasons to maybe not assign gender but human- like nuances. My parents always had names for their cars. Usually masculine. I started falling in love with my car after my 5 th accident. Don't ask, divorce related craziness. Like a guy crossed oncoming traffic lane just to turn into my car. This was at very start of divorce. So l assigned my car nongender since it didn't identify with either gender. I had a hard time giving it up. It was my first freedom step towards getting away from abusive men.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Crossbreed

[​IMG] (Not if they were ramming into you with their cars...) :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Aspychata

Haha. I drove half across the US to leave ex. Pretty sure he was the reason behind this. I was getting ready to ask for alimony that week. So it all ties together. I didn't know anybody in that city. Nothing l was able to prove. But he had damaged my car when l was married.

18. Crossbreed

Pat?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Aspychata

The most important thing- l am free and happy.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. WoodWorkingJoel

WoodWorkingJoel Active Member

I've struggled with some phrases when I was younger and some things like people starting sentences with the word so still annoy me but she referring to boats and cars etc kinda makes sense to me.there are no real rules when to use he or she however, its just a bit of fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1