• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435

Just wondering if anyone celebrates St. Andrew's Day, be it religious or secular; it's sort of to the Scottish, what St. Patrick's Day is to the Irish. I'm celebrating it because I've discovered that I'm Scottish in my mom's side of the family and found Scottish Catholic culture to be rather interesting.

This morning had Scottish Bacon sandwiches for breakfast:
Mine were more the traditional kind than Kevin Bacon's kind, ;):laughing: I also put the BBQ sauce in the sandwich rather than beside the sandwich to dip in.

Love hearing people celebrating the bits of the liturgical calendar; it's our heritage & it has bits of all cultures and all time.

My heritage is English, not Scottish; I am as "generic white guy" as you can get & somehow even in America have a truly British smile. Discovering bits of that is starting to be an interest of mine.

I did not celebrate this day because I forgot to look at the calendar; more accurately I am not in the habit of keeping up with the liturgical calendar because I am a slob with no motivation to live when I'm in finals weeks.

Love hearing people celebrating the bits of the liturgical calendar; it's our heritage & it has bits of all cultures and all time.

My heritage is English, not Scottish; I am as "generic white guy" as you can get & somehow even in America have a truly British smile. Discovering bits of that is starting to be an interest of mine.

I did not celebrate this day because I forgot to look at the calendar; more accurately I am not in the habit of keeping up with the liturgical calendar because I am a slob with no motivation to live when I'm in finals weeks.
I've been there, I know full-well what it's like to just drop everything to try and get things done.

I'm also English, in addition Scottish on my mom's side of the family, there's also Scandinavian heritage on my mom's side, I guess I should start looking into Scandinavian Catholic culture as well, I'm sure I'll find a lot of interesting things there is well; just like I did with Scottish and English ("Be England Thy Dowry, as in days of yore...") Catholic culture. Granted, St. Thorlak is already Scandinavian in a sense; speaking of which, I should start making the calendar for December, his feast day is like, right before Christmas if I remember correctly.

I shall have to celebrate St. Thorlak's Day this year probably by attending Mass & indulging in special interests & austerities.

How neat to be re-discovering your family's ties; that's really wonderful stuff.

I shall have to celebrate St. Thorlak's Day this year probably by attending Mass & indulging in special interests & austerities.

How neat to be re-discovering your family's ties; that's really wonderful stuff.
The Feast of Saint Thorlak is on December 23rd; I'm definitely looking forward to December, in addition to the first 7 Days of Christmas, the feast days I'm looking forward to the most are the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

By the do you have, or have you heard of The Liturgical Year by Dom Gueranger? (I really want to get that!)

By the do you have, or have you heard of The Liturgical Year by Dom Gueranger? (I really want to get that!)
I've heard a lot about Gueranger and I think some of his books are around here but no I don't think I've read that one yet. If I had money to buy books I'd look for a copy.

I've heard a lot about Gueranger and I think some of his books are around here but no I don't think I've read that one yet. If I had money to buy books I'd look for a copy.
It's a multivolume set, I don't think it's that expensive, it's not $100 or more; I really want it! Apparently it perfectly blends the Church's intellectual tradition with it's spiritual or contemplative tradition; so I really want to get that multivolume set and read and meditate on it.

By the way, when do you put your tree up?

I've heard discussions and debates online about when to put Christmas decorations up, both because it's Advent, now and the actual Christmas season itself doesn't start until the 25th; and because Christmas decorations in the secular world keep coming out earlier and earlier.

I'm discussing all this because, maybe St. Thorlak's Day is the best day to put up your Christmas, put one's Autistic attention to detail to work by decorating it well.

New Threads

Top Bottom