• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody in Aspie/Aspie marriage here?

BlueSky Aozora

Hi, is there anybody in aspie/aspie marriage or relationship here?

Dont you feel overwhelmed, when YOU need to manage/DO EVERYTHING in the household and marriage (and you also work full-time), while your aspie partner does NOT involve in almost anything regarding your household & marriage at alll?

Are you my wife ? :p I'm in a similar situation, but I do things around the house and also work, it's never enough though.. I don't really have any advice, maybe have a conversation and try to be coordial. Good luck.

Are you my wife ? :p I'm in a similar situation, but I do things around the house and also work, it's never enough though.. I don't really have any advice, maybe have a conversation and try to be coordial. Good luck.

Haha nice meeting fellow aspie/aspie here :) so your wife feels like me too? She's lucky that you still do things around the house :)

My wife is most likely NT, but she definitely has some grey zone traits. Nice to meet you too! Seems like from what you wrote, and what my wife says, you do indeed feel similarly.
If you are too vocal about your dissappointment, it can really beat a person down. I know this from experience.
Haha nice meeting fellow aspie/aspie here :) so your wife feels like me too? She's lucky that you still do things around the house :)

Dont you feel overwhelmed, when YOU need to manage/DO EVERYTHING in the household and marriage (and you also work full-time), while your aspie partner does NOT involve in almost anything regarding your household & marriage at alll?

I used to be overwhelmed, at times. But I've come to realize that my aspie husband does many things that I can't do. Often his poor health makes it more difficult.

I've found that if I'm very specific, and ask him to do things he will do them.

Thanks for the useful advice. Alright, i'll keep that in mind. Just trying to cope here. Some days are good/peaceful, somedays overwhelmed..
Do you have kids? We have one classically autistic son, and I am HFA. So it's double damage on my wife. She has to take on a lot.

I used to be overwhelmed, at times. But I've come to realize that my aspie husband does many things that I can't do. Often his poor health makes it more difficult.

I've found that if I'm very specific, and ask him to do things he will do them.

You're so understanding :) Wish i can be more like you.

Yes, mine is like that too - if i ask him with specific details, he will help.

It's just, sometimes i'm tired of giving out the specific requests.. Dont you? I need to think before making the requests too. It'll be nicer if he can help around without me asking.

But oh! He did it sometimes. Previously i came home to a clean and shiny house :) He cleaned the house that day because he wanted to, without me even asking, and i was so happy :)

Do you have kids? We have one classically autistic son, and I am HFA. So it's double damage on my wife. She has to take on a lot.

She must be a wonderful wife, and you too :) I dont have any kids yet, although we want to, but still no luck. Hopefully things are alright in your family. It must be hard to care for precious special kids. Still, we're lucky because there're many help/awareness for autism nowadays, compared to decades ago :)

Maybe writing a list or something would be helpful for him, I know it really helps me. Also a calendar with events, so there are no surprises and I can plan more. Not sure if any of those would make it easier for you, but it was worth a shot. :)

It's just, sometimes i'm tired of giving out the specific requests.. Dont you? I need to think before making the requests too. It'll be nicer if he can help around without me asking.

Aspie men of a certain age, who grew up cared for by their mothers, will not think to do household tasks. It needs to be suggested that they do them. With specific detailed instructions. It's often better if it becomes a routine for them. Something they do all the time. You'll have to consider that it simply does not occur to some aspies to do things you want them to, without suggestions. And it literally has nothing to do with being unthinking. They almost never think of it in those terms.

It's likely that one of the reasons my husband married me, is because I have skills that he doesn't have, and he has skills that I don't have. Many of the things I do he can't do, and vice versa. So we compliment one another with our abilities.

Although my husband very often does things without my suggesting it. They are tasks that I don't do, so they don't occur to me. Things like keeping the car in good working order, making certain the furnace is functioning properly. Paying attention to the finances and bill paying on time. Fixing electronics, repairing things. And many more things that I don't do.

In fact it gives me a lot of freedom, to do things the way I want. I've seen couples in stores arguing over meals and types of food to buy. I don't have that problem, I decide what we eat and the way we live. And my husband agrees, he has other concerns. Whenever I ask him, he helps. You need to look at the positive side of this, rather than what he might lack in doing housework on his own. I was raised to pay attention to those things, and he was not.

Maybe writing a list or something would be helpful for him, I know it really helps me. Also a calendar with events, so there are no surprises and I can plan more. Not sure if any of those would make it easier for you, but it was worth a shot. :)

Definitely will try those! Not only for him, but surely will help myself too. Thanks :D

Aspie men of a certain age, who grew up cared for by their mothers, will not think to do household tasks. It needs to be suggested that they do them. With specific detailed instructions. It's often better if it becomes a routine for them. Something they do all the time. You'll have to consider that it simply does not occur to some aspies to do things you want them to, without suggestions. And it literally has nothing to do with being unthinking. They almost never think of it in those terms.

It's likely that one of the reasons my husband married me, is because I have skills that he doesn't have, and he has skills that I don't have. Many of the things I do he can't do, and vice versa. So we compliment one another with our abilities.

Although my husband very often does things without my suggesting it. They are tasks that I don't do, so they don't occur to me. Things like keeping the car in good working order, making certain the furnace is functioning properly. Paying attention to the finances and bill paying on time. Fixing electronics, repairing things. And many more things that I don't do.

In fact it gives me a lot of freedom, to do things the way I want. I've seen couples in stores arguing over meals and types of food to buy. I don't have that problem, I decide what we eat and the way we live. And my husband agrees, he has other concerns. Whenever I ask him, he helps. You need to look at the positive side of this, rather than what he might lack in doing housework on his own. I was raised to pay attention to those things, and he was not.

I see... Thanks a lot for your wisdom, very informative :D

You're lucky that he does the men stuff around the house. Mine does not even.. Maybe it's because cultural issue - he moved to my country - which seems quite difficult for him to adapt, with foreign languages and stuffs. I feel thankful & guilty at the same time.. :(

But yes, now that you've said it - we certainly have a degree of freedom: get to choose what we want for meals, house decorations etc. Yes, that kind of freedom, not bad :D Thank you!

Everything you said applies equally to NT husbands and perfectly describes how my husband and I function. As I've said before, I'd rather scrub toilets than cut grass.

My wife's NT and we also have that kind of symbiotic relationship where we both play to our strengths and support the other in their weaknesses. Both of us can step in when the other is unwell but otherwise we have our niches and we get along very well making the most of them. I've never had that in a partner before, so I'm hanging on to this one ;)

Everything you said applies equally to NT husbands and perfectly describes how my husband and I function. As I've said before, I'd rather scrub toilets than cut grass.

It's men of a certain era as well, who saw their mothers doing all those tasks. Can I utter the word chauvinism here, without causing a huge uproar? Some N/T men as well as Aspie men tend toward being traditionally raised, and look for women who will fill those traditional roles.

It's men of a certain era as well, who saw their mothers doing all those tasks. Can I utter the word chauvinism here, without causing a huge uproar? Some N/T men as well as Aspie men tend toward being traditionally raised, and look for women who will fill those traditional roles.

Especially those of us with parents who went through the Great Depression. When gender roles were etched in stone for better or worse. They were our role model.

Though in my own case, having never had a partner under the same roof for very long, so I have always been accustomed to doing everything on my own. And in my old age I'd probably be reticent to relinquish much of any responsibility.

Last edited:
I'm of that "certain era" that grew up with a stay at home mum and working father, but I always did chores to earn my allowance. When I flew the nest I never had any problem doing my fair share of domestic tasks and the DIY (when I was fit enough to do so). I still do most of the cooking, ironing and more, but we've achieved a simple, unspoken arrangement where we both do the things we're best at :)
She's a pretty decent cook too, but I happen to enjoy it. I gave up the baking though because that's something she really enjoys and she does make some amazing cakes. Her lemon drizzle cake is to die for darlings!

I'm of that "certain era" that grew up with a stay at home mum and working father, but I always did chores to earn my allowance. When I flew the nest I never had any problem doing my fair share of domestic tasks and the DIY (when I was fit enough to do so). I still do most of the cooking, ironing and more, but we've achieved a simple, unspoken arrangement where we both do the things we're best a

Grew up in a very traditional household, even though my mother worked. I did chores all the time as well. Although my brother and father had much more time for their interests and did little more than cut the grass and a little painting and repairs. They never did any of the household tasks at all. I cleaned my brother's room and ironed his shirts beginning at ten years old. Interestingly enough, when he lived on his own between marriages, he could and does cook and clean, perhaps more assiduously than some women. So that turned out well:)

Hey, Mia, I don't want a huge uproar, either, but some people are just plain lazy. LOL

New Threads

Top Bottom