• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any trick when feeling down?

Iamnotarabot

I won't say too much that at the moment I feel very down, I dont realy know why, but to put things in context i'm in the "no hope for anything and nothing feels good" state.

What do you do to feel better? I dont have any good video games idea atm and I dont want to sneaky eat one bag of candy...

A change of scenery often helps me, though it sometimes is difficult to amass enough motivation. Going out for a meal is another easy change. Something to break the brain rut.

Get outside around a creek, read a really good book, make something, gardening, hmm.... that's all I have. Mostly I just have to wait out those sorts of feelings. Incredibly hard to get rid of that hopeless feel, but for me it does tend to run it's course, kinda like a nasty cold. Distract yourself with something a bit novel but still comforting. Try to get out of your own head. Sorry, that's all I got. Certainly wish I had more ideas because I will need them myself in a few days or so. I'm a bit over due for a round of feeling miserable.

Currently,
To prevent a dip,
I am amusing myself with the absurd, the ridiculous and the nonsensical.
Almost privately.

I seem to live in my head, so to speak, so who’s going to know what nonsense I’m thinking?
Some of it is hilarious.

It’s mostly to do with words (I adore the sounds and tempo)
Re arranging and stretching and making up words that have no place in the English language is unreservedly-mood-lifting-ridiculousness.

Works for me anyway :)

I’d much rather spend 15 minutes being ridiculous and it lifting my mood than spend most of my day stuck in repetitive, negative thought loops waiting for the anti depressants to do something! :)

Can you go to the pool and take a swim? Do you like swimming? Take a swim. You'll only focus on not drowning instead of your spiralling thoughts. And you will get some movement, too!

Focus on helping someone else- it'll make both of you feel good. Proven antidote to depression( but don't ask me for sources as I don't do those).

What helps when feeling down for me at least, everyone is different, is taking a walk in the park with music in my ears and pretending I am in a musical lmao. Or writing your feelings down helps too or even if you have like a heavy blanket wrapping yourself up in that and watching your favirote movie as well. But I do recomend taking a walk to help clear your mind if you happen to live somewhere where you are able to do that if not the movie option is always a good idea. Or just simply listening to music. Hope this helps with ideas.

I won't say too much that at the moment I feel very down, I dont realy know why, but to put things in context i'm in the "no hope for anything and nothing feels good" state.

What do you do to feel better? I dont have any good video games idea atm and I dont want to sneaky eat one bag of candy...

When I was a young man and was upset, I went riding my dirt bike. I would ride as hard and fast as I could. This requires you total attention, so you are not thinking about what is bothering you. After a hour or two of this, I was mentally and physically exhausted, but I felt better. It doesn't hurt that it is a ton of fun ether.

Go outside and move. A long walk, a round of bicycling, anything to get some fresh air and clear your head.

Ok thanks for your answer, I guess this is not a simple and I won't quote all your answer to say why I can't do this or that,but thanks for sharing !

I guess I want to feel bad, I dont know what to do and it just comes and goes.

I have a favorite album I listen to whenever I get down. To avoid getting tired of it, I only listen to it when I need to - maybe a dozen times a year.

It's become one of my tells - If Nervous Rex is listening to this album, he's close to melting down. I don't know if anyone else has figured that out yet.

I agree with previous suggestions to get out, exercise, get busy with something, have a change of scenery. Plan a trip out or something you enjoy for the weekend so you have something to look forward to.

Someone suggested exercise; it has been proven that exercise produces those feel-good endorphins in the brain; I know it always made me feel better.

I find I just need to wait it out. I have tried walking in the park.. watching tv ... reading a book ... listening to music .. cooking ... swimming .. writing ... but I'm not motivated and am easily distracted and really just going through the motions. Sleep. Sleep the funk off. It usually passes in a day or so or at least lifts enough for one of the activities to have some effect.

Dips in mood are an unfortunate side effect of our Aspie superpower. They often come without warning, rhyme, or reason. It’s taken me a long time to wrap my head around that concept, but, now I embrace it as just part of who I am. That alone often pulls me back above the surface.

A nice piece of dark chocolate helps, too.

Also, we foster cats/kittens, and have a few about 95% of the time. Spending time petting a kitten is a thousand times better than Prozac.

New Threads

Top Bottom