• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any others on the spectrum have low muscle tone?

Jena

So I was told I had low muscle tone by social workers at age 3, however never got any help on it cause they say it was minor and there was nothing they could do. So I was on the borderline of it. I done research on my own and found lots of people on the spectrum have low muscle tone too. If so, what has your stories been about having low muscle tone, and any struggles you face with it.
With me, it seems I tend to flop around a lot especially when tired, and if you squeeze my arms you would see it just squish like no muscles are there...I might have some other stories and struggles about low muscle tone as well but I am unsure if it's just lack of excersie like my parents told me or just low muscle tone. So curious what you all say about this? And what struggles you face with it?

i don't think that there is a correlation between low muscle tone and being on the spectrum,
even if you stayed inside all day long, never spoke to anyone, but put in a treadmill and some weights, i'm pretty sure you could get toned

exercise = muscle tone no?

I think there may be, as lack of physical coordination is on the list of symptoms. I have frequently read that puts people off sports. But its not irreversible. Take on some activity, even just regular walking and you will improve muscle strength. It takes motivation/work and you got to get your head around that first.

I have and have always had low muscle tone. No one in my family really does and I don't have any other conditions that would cause that so I think it is a spectrum thing for me. My legs are weak but my arms are pretty strong. Since I've started taking medication every so often my knees will buckle which is probably from the medication but I'm sure the low muscle tone doesn't help. Eating more protein has been helpful.

I am very, very clumsy and have never been good at sports. I believe that this is common for people on the spectrum. However, I do not think that low muscle tone is due to being on the spectrum. I have fairly good muscle tone and am quite strong. I realize that part of this is because I am a large person, but it is mostly due to a life time of work.

The clumsy, awkwardness seems to be a pretty common trait.
Never good at sports. Nor do I really care for them anyway. Tennis is the only thing I liked
and I never had a lot of strength or proper co-ordination to play well. Just liked it somehow.
I've never had good muscle tone no matter how much I tried exercise or weighted work outs
even when young. Certainly not now as I am older.
As they say, it IS a spectrum thing, so some may be able to develop good muscle tone easier than
others.

A quote from a TV show that portrayed high IQ Aspies reminds me of this.
I found it funny... on a mission, two of them were knocked over by a slight wind and their boss told
the ones they were working for: " I told you they were smart, not strong!"

Two of my children have hyper mobility syndrome. Apparently I had it too although my joints aren’t as flexible anymore. I’m very weak and tire easily. My son was stronger than me at 4 years old. I remember my PE teacher giving me detention in primary school because I couldn’t do even one pull up.

ETA: I also drop things all the time as apparently I don’t put enough pressure on whatever I’m holding.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom