• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any other recent/relatively recent high school graduates?

Chrysanthemum

Any people reading this who either have relatively recently (i.e. perhaps within the past 5 years) graduated secondary school/high school students and are currently in an apprenticeship, employment and/or post-secondary/high school academic or other program, or who is a college or university student AND was diagnosed with a pervasive developmental disorder (such as Autism Spectrum Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder), speech or language delay or impairment, or other condition or disability?

I am a 1st year college/university student who has been officially diagnosed with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS (based on the DSM-IV) during childhood. When I was a young child I did have moderate to severe receptive and expressive language delay. Interested to know what other’s experiences in employment, college or university were (but even if you have not been diagnosed with a condition or disability, or are not a recent high school graduate or a student, I would be happy to hear from you. :)).

Last edited:
I graduated high school three years ago, and now I'm preparing to graduate from college in the spring. I haven't had any problems with academics, but the social side of things is another issue. For example, I normally bring food from the cafeteria up to my room to eat. At first, I was worried about being so un-social, but some time last year I made a conscious effort to stop caring so much about what other people thought, and after that I've been happier. Experiences is kind of broad, so I'm not sure what to focus on more specifically. What are you studying in college?

I graduated high school three years ago, and now I'm preparing to graduate from college in the spring. I haven't had any problems with academics, but the social side of things is another issue. For example, I normally bring food from the cafeteria up to my room to eat. At first, I was worried about being so un-social, but some time last year I made a conscious effort to stop caring so much about what other people thought, and after that I've been happier. Experiences is kind of broad, so I'm not sure what to focus on more specifically. What are you studying in college?

Congratulations on being close to graduating from college! Thanks for sharing :).

I agree that what others think of you shouldn’t matter tremendously.

My current major is directly related to disability/disability issues (not really directly related to autism though); I am interested in potentially working with people with disabilities in the future.

By “experience” I guess I am referring to academic, social, organizational aspects as well as other aspects of work or college; as well as whether or not any academic and/or housing accommodations were needed.

Sometimes I feel like I may be the only student who has been diagnosed with autism in my classes (and I guess an autism diagnosis isn’t as common as some other ones such as ADHD or dyslexia); then again, I haven’t asked anyone in my classes whether they have a disorder (nor have I disclosed my diagnosis to professors or classmates so far). I’m sure there are probably other students in the college I attend who have a pervasive developmental or autism spectrum diagnosis though since there are about 40,000 students attending it :).

Last edited:
Graduated from High School in 2014; currently not going to Post Secondary School. I'd like to, but the college here only offers so much on campus and anything else would have to be taken either online or at their other campuses that are spread out within the region.

No job either. I did have one in 2017, but I was only there for a whole month before I quit (semi-long story; was there for work experience w/ a subsidized wage via a Employment Agency within my Province via Contract between the Agency and workplace, so when I quit I didn't have to say a word to the guy I was working for, they did it all for me.)

So my only source of Income is the monthly Income Assistance from the government (Canadian)

Graduated from High School in 2014; currently not going to Post Secondary School. I'd like to, but the college here only offers so much on campus and anything else would have to be taken either online or at their other campuses that are spread out within the region.

No job either. I did have one in 2017, but I was only there for a whole month before I quit (semi-long story; was there for work experience w/ a subsidized wage via a Employment Agency within my Province via Contract between the Agency and workplace, so when I quit I didn't have to say a word to the guy I was working for, they did it all for me.)

So my only source of Income is the monthly Income Assistance from the government (Canadian)

Thanks for sharing :). How did you find the job you did? Do you feel it was well suited to you or not? (By the way, I think that one month of employment is not nothing! :))

May I ask what do you mean when you say the college near you “only offers so much on campus”?

How did you find the job you did?

Was at the local PC/Mobile repair shop that was also a small game shop. Went there for magic the gathering for ~ 2 years at that point.

what do you mean when you say the college near you “only offers so much on campus”?

Kind of self explanatory. Some programs/courses may be offered at the Campus here (such as Electrician stuff iirc), but others will need to be taken at other Campus locations or online, depending on what program/course.

Was at the local PC/Mobile repair shop that was also a small game shop. Went there for magic the gathering for ~ 2 years at that point.

Kind of self explanatory. Some programs/courses may be offered at the Campus here (such as Electrician stuff iirc), but others will need to be taken at other Campus locations or online, depending on what program/course.

Thanks, I understand now :).

What kind of academic program or subject were you interested in? What type of job do you want to do?

Thanks, I understand now :).

What kind of academic program or subject were you interested in? What type of job do you want to do?

Honestly, still no idea. There's too many choices, but I'd like to try and get more into Photography, maybe I.T. work.

I'm sure there are students with an ASD who had language delay, or who have a DSM-IV ASD diagnosis other than Asperger's at college, but I wonder if there is anyone reading this thread who has been diagnosed with Autistic Disorder, PDD-NOS or other Pervasive Developmental Disorder besides Asperger's Disorder and is in full-time employment, attending college or both?

It seems like many articles focusing on college students with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (e.g. college disability accommodation documentation guidelines or tips for college faculty) focuses on students with Asperger's (not sure why that is), so as someone who is a college student with a diagnosis of Autistic Disorder and who had significant language delay, I'm interested to know whether there are other college students or people in employment reading this thread who also had language delay and/or are diagnosis of an ASD that is not Asperger's.

By the way, if you are diagnosed with an ASD or other condition and are currently employed, in an apprenticeship and/or in a post-secondary diploma or degree program, I would be interested to know whether or not you told your employer, and/or instructor(s) or professor(s) that you have a condition or about your diagnosis?

Personally, as a college student, last semester I did not tell any of my professors my specific diagnosis but I did imply that I was registered with the college's disability office by telling them the accommodations I am eligible for.

I have been employed part-time in open employment in the past and I did not tell the employers that I had a condition at any point in time, however prior to that I also participated in supported employment where of course my condition was disclosed to the staff (i.e. supervisors).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom