• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any houseplant enthusiasts?

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
What kind of plants do you have? Got some pictures to show off your plants? What type of plants are you hoping to have in future? Anything unusual, like a bonsai or orchid? Do you have a really interesting or unusual indoor plant specimen? Plants are awesome! :) This is a thread for anyone who loves indoor plants to share ideas, solutions, show off their plants or collections.
:seedling::fourleaf::herb::evergreen::leafwind::cactus::mapleleaf::deciduous::palmtree:

I always seem to recall the luck I once had growing a Boston Fern in my apartment many years ago. I was told it was amazing that it lasted as long as it did.

I'm afraid these days all my plants indoors are silk. But I must say, I seem to have quite a "green thumb" with these silk plants too! :D

Thank goodness for Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Couldn't have done it without them. ;)

Well, the only plants I can manage to keep alive are cactus. My wife (when I married her) had some variety of Sansevieria. She called it a "century cactus", though when I looked it up, I couldn't find the exact type. It got big enough that we had to split it into 4 pots from 1 and now 2 of those probably should be split again. They live outside under the house eaves on the south side, plenty of sun, just enough water when it rains. They come in the house in the winter so they don't freeze.

The best part was that she had never seen it bloom in 10 years living in AZ. But they bloom every year here in AL. I guess they like the heat and humidity.

We had a giant schefflera plant (like 15' tall) but we had to leave it behind on the last move. :(

She has a Jade plant I'm not allowed to touch. And we have a barrel cactus that had a "baby" last summer. (It grew a second trunk out of the root) It's kind of spindly and crooked.

Basically, I don't do anything to these plants, except talk to them and tell them how wonderful they are. :D

Aguaponics is pretty easy, feed some fish and figure out a way to get the solid waste out. Lettuce and basil require same ph levels, strawberries and spinach a different ph level - all need significant amounts of air. It is all a matter of how simple or elaborate you want to build your garden and circulation. Don't rely on any type of syphon as it always stops.

I grew lettuce indoors in Colorado through winter with a good light.

I think I am up to about 40 houseplants. Succulents, cacti, philodendrons, pothos, a few mystery plants, rubber plant. Some are repetitive that I grew from cuttings. I just put a piece of my mom's begonia in a vase hoping for roots. My two varieties of peace lilies are blooming. This isn't a hobby I'm good at, I kill one or two a year. I have even killed jade plants and they come with a label that says easy to grow.

Seriously though, I find most houseplants difficult to sustain for very long periods. Quite a challenge!

Hats off to those of you who can keep them alive....

You have the best plant food available, pee on a mason jar, cover and let it sit for three days and then feed you plant with that.

Process convert urine to Uria.

I have lots of plants, inside the home and outside.

73ba886b4527b55a4fdcc7bf618fe5be.jpg

Viper's bowspring hemp (or Mother in law's tongue) (Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii')Like some other members of its genus, S. trifasciata yields bowstring hemp, a strong plant fiber once used to make bowstrings.
Have several of these, easy to grow, my bathtub is surrounded by large pots of these on one side. It feels like a forest. My cats don't chew them or like them. Which is why they're still alive and healthy.

upload_2017-8-15_21-32-46.jpeg
upload_2017-8-15_21-32-46.jpeg
Have most of these varieties of sanservia, with the exception of the darkest one. All quite large in size now.

images
Have several aloe vera plants (A. barbadensis Mill.)

Many types of ferns:

Boston Fern Nephrolepis exaltata Bostoniensis

images

fern_birdsnest.jpg
Bird's nest fern, but indoor, (Asplenium australasicum)

ba82c9dc13ea77d0c9e5c1879b51cf41.jpg
Asparagus Fern - (A. plumosa nanus)

And many many more types of ferns, and lots of other types, which I'll post later.

Thanks, Mia! Boston fern is safe around cats, if I am reading correctly. Do the cats ignore the aloe?

Boston fern is safe around cats, if I am reading correctly. Do the cats ignore the aloe?

Actually they leave the boston fern alone for some reason, and they did try chewing on the asparagus fern, but it has grown tiny barbs in retaliation so they don't anymore:) Someone did put their chompers in the aloe vera, once, so I moved it to a higher place. Aloe is poisonous to cats and dogs in large amounts, but the boston is non-toxic. Usually grow grass in pots for the cats in winter, so they leave all the plants alone.

Last edited:
Cats absolutely love spider plants, especially the little shoots that hang down. Hang it or place it out of their reach if you can.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm going to try a hanging set up.

I'm really nervous. I haven't had plants in over a decade.
I keep Googling "low light indoor plants" and "cat safe plants."
I will need to be very vigilant for the first few months, because changing my schedule to add checking plants, wTering, misting, etc. is a challenge for me.

I am looking at spider plants, lemon button fern, prayer plants, and those little Victorian table palm plants. I plan to try Bitter Apple on the plants until LapCrusher loses interest in salad. I tried to give him cat grass, and he wasn't very intrigued.

Love Boston ferns, but maybe lemon button fern needs less humidity? All I can do is mist, I would not be able to keep it in my windowless apartment bathroom.

In my fantasies, I have hpuseplants and we are all happy. Might take a lot if research to get me there.

Mia, I love your stories of your plants and the tips you gave for keeping them well!

IMG_2454.JPG
I love plants, they are my quiet friends, (my only friends) and like the outdoors sort as well as houseplants. I had to leave about 30 behind when I moved states. I've started over now and only have about 8 inside. Here are a couple of pic s of a corner of a sunny spot. :)
IMG_2452.JPG

Kestrel those plants look so very happy! I live the different textures, forms, and colors of your dear friends!

I used to have a jade plant and cacti. I can't keep house plants now because my cat eats them.

Used to know someone who put cages made of chicken wire over all her plants, so she could keep them. They looked a little funny, but her cats were unable to eat the plants.

Some people have had good success using bitter sprays on Plants to deter chomping cats. One must re-apply such spray routinely.

New Threads

Top Bottom