• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any forums geared more toward the male aspie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade2black

I like these forums but most topics end up being female-heavy causing the male perspective to be diluted, and in some cases oppressed. If there are no forums for male aspies, I'd like to suggest one.

I don't see any Female oriented topics anywhere, unless you count the Relationship stuff, but those are semi infrequent

Is it because it's generally Women who make posts/comment?

Also, making a place for only one group of Gender would be sexism at best... You do realize that's what you're asking for, right?

It'd be like asking for a forum that's mainly Hispanic or African-American people posting, rather than
Caucasians because you feel there's not enough diversity.

All in all, I fail to see your issue. EVERYONE's allowed to comment/make posts.

There's equal opportunity for everyone of any sexual orientation to make their point here.

Like all threads though, what kind of direction they may take is anyone's guess. I've never thought of women here deliberately hijacking much of any thread based on gender alone. Some subjects may be geared more towards women than others. That's fine too.

Personally I've never viewed gender as any kind of obstacle in sharing and exploring my autism.

I learned a lot from male posters and how they see things so l like that it's diversified. If a thread goes a direction l have no interest in, l can just remove myself and go to a different thread.

most topics end up being female-heavy causing the male perspective to be diluted.

I understand how a minority's or a quiet majority's voice can be diluted in things like lobbying and elections, but I don't see how that applies to a forum like this. If someone posts something, that post remains no matter how many other people post.

If you're worried about a majority-rule mentality drowning out a solitary opinion, I can assure you that the exact opposite is more likely on a forum full of aspies.

Last edited:
The "male perspective" is meaningless without other points of view to provide balance. There was a time, about 20 years ago, when almost all the autists online were male. It was horrible. Full of supremacists, anger and bitter spite. Bullying and victimisation were rife. Be careful what you wish for because you may find the reality far worse than what you have already.

I don't know how internet savvy you are, but there are tools available to let you create your own message board or group chat for whatever purpose you like.

Personally, I don't see the difference,and everyone's voice is equally important in my opinion.
Of course a female's perspective will be sometimes different, but I don't see what's wrong with that.

I am generally allergic to groupings where there is an imbalance between males and females. I happens quite a bit in my experience.

However, I have not been aware of that perspective on things in here.

I note about wrongplanet.net being more male posters - interesting. However, I feel settled here and Ok with the mix of people and perspectives.

And here I was thinking this place was a total sausage-fest.

I think your problem is more related to the current state of society as a whole:

Random Person: I'm offended!
Everyone: Oh no! Quick, bring out the guillotine, someone is offended!

I like these forums but most topics end up being female-heavy causing the male perspective to be diluted, and in some cases oppressed. If there are no forums for male aspies, I'd like to suggest one.
Not to get too personal, but if you feel you are oppressed by females, that's a specific issue that might make real world interactions very problematical. Are you wanting recognition of this "oppression" by the dominating females?

That's a toxic world view, and I will fight to keep it off this site.

Often times I don't even know if it's a comment from male or female, because very seldom does the gender impact how I value their input.

I don't know how internet savvy you are, but there are tools available to let you create your own message board or group chat for whatever purpose you like.
could you! do you ?have the time to tell me how to do that in very small steps!, i’d like to make one for happily single women,thanks:)

could you! do you ?have the time to tell me how to do that in very small steps!, i’d like to make one for happily single women,thanks:)
Wouldn't it be easier to find one already existing? Search for "single not looking" women forum.

dont worry if im offended im verbally eviscerated with sarcasm or self righteousness so being offended dies a torturous death .

I've been on the internet for a long, long time. Since before most people even knew what it was. And I have nothing but free time, all the time. There are many things I have learned in the absurd amount of time I've been online. Too many. Some of which I wish I could un-learn. The horrors I've seen....

But anyway, one thing I've DEFINITELY learned is that if you find yourself searching for a specific-gender-focused forum, something is wrong. I've seen questions like yours come up a million times on a million forums, and based on having seen it who knows how often, I have a feeling I know what the motivation is. I'll put it this way: it wont work out in the way you think it will. And even if you do find such a place (it's not like they dont exist), it's likely to harm instead of help. Places like that are almost always about self-affirmation, the sorts of places where people go not to find out if they ARE right about a particular subject, not to really ask questions in search of an answer, but they go already assuming they *must* be right and want to go to a place where it's guaranteed that they'll be told how right they are (even if, in truth, they are dead wrong). That's the opposite of helpful, and it provides the direct opposite of learning and self-improvement.

This is, in fact, the reason why quite a few of us left Wrongplanet, which is another autism-focused site. That site is like that. It's also a cesspool, which is what usually happens with sites that have that trait.

As for this site, there is no gender bias here. This is not a "female oriented" site. Never was. I strongly suspect I know why you're seeing it as if there is one, and I'll just put it this way: you may want to self-analyze a bit. I wont go into any more detail, even if asked. This one is up to you to figure out on your own, or there's no point.

Often times I don't even know if it's a comment from male or female, because very seldom does the gender impact how I value their input.
I figure out which gender they are when they say something like you would look much prettier if.......

Idk, maybe I'm weird but sometimes I think it's fun to be oppressed.

drill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom