• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any advice for a NT on this aspie behavior?

Marykate101

Hello to everyone again. I posted a “I'm a new member” post a couple of nights ago under the introduce yourself section. And I mentioned that I was going to have a couple of questions since I'm the NT and the man I'm involved with is most certainly an undiagnosed aspie. And all of this is new to me.
My hope is that some of you will be able to make sense of my questions.
And in the spirit of full disclosure-- this turned into a very long post! Just wanted to give that heads up :)
I appreciate anyone that wants to offer some insight for me. And I apologize in advance for anything I say that might sound wrong or even possibly insulting. I'm just learning about this.

I had been trying to mentally compose and condense the post I wanted to submit and got hung up on a certain part.
The reason is that on some other websites with articles, tips, and whatnot that I've been reading I came across a few people (some aspies, some not) that stated --as if this was a well known fact -- that aspies cannot tell a lie. Period. That they don't have the mental/emotional components for artifice and manipulation, and dishonesty is therefore not possible.
The statements came across to me like a blanket statement that was true 99.9% of the time with all aspies… But I tend to think that everyone is different? So maybe that blanket statement is completely ludicrous??
Such as don't ask them a question unless you want the hard cold truth. Don't expect them to give you a compliment when you ask how you look because you'll only get the truth that your hair is a mess and you should have worn a more flattering color, etc.. with no regard to how it hurts someone's feelings.

But in contrast, this other article I was reading said that aspies can in fact, and do, lie, and they can manipulate, but that usually the ‘story’ of whatever lie they're telling doesn't match up right because it's done in odd little bits, whereas a NT is able to look ahead at the whole picture and tell a smooth lie that encompasses every loose end. (In theory).
So then I was confused, and disappointed I have to admit, as I was rather hoping that the part about the inability to lie was kinda true-- would have made me feel much happier for sure :)
Since I'm a person who values honesty above all else, I found the concept of a person who was incapable of lying akin to finding the holy grail, a magical fairy, and a unicorn all rolled up in one! And I know that was ridiculous of me but what can I say, I'm just learning about all of this, and that's what some people said and I wanted to believe it.. I'm clearly pretty gullible.

So since this other article stated that they can totally lie, now I'm confused about what to think in regards to my particular relationship issue.

Because I totally took him at face value and believed the statements he made about us and our relationship. Again, maybe I'm just too gullible?
So now after reading that conflicting information I'm doubting the things he said and I'm thinking maybe he was only telling me what he thought I wanted to hear? Or what he thought he was supposed to say in that kind of a situation? And maybe it wasn't even the truth at all?

Because I also read that aspies frequently have memorized scripts they use, and personas that they act out in certain situations.
So isn't that kind of like lying then? ( For anyone who does it obviously, aspie or not).
And I have certainly observed this behavior in him, although not realizing what it was exactly at the time. But yeah, he has presented some very different kinds of personalities in various situations with me over the months.

And right now I'm wondering if he's run through his entire repertoire, and is avoiding face to face contact because he doesn't have a script for what he's supposed to be doing or saying at this point as we progress in the relationship?
Because after stating that he wanted to spend much more time together and get closer, his actions are what I would describe as a full retreat, at least in a physical sense. He still responds almost immediately to my texts, or if I phone him he's very attentive that way, and he never ignores my texts or anything like that but he also doesn't seem to have the same type of responses that he used to when we first reconnected back in the spring.
I get the impression that he's on terra incognito now and doesn't know how to proceed correctly…?

On the occasions that we have visited each other in person I could tell he was really struggling with his emotions, particularly with physical contact, (however he was the one who initiated it in all instances) and also when it was time for me to leave. He became almost distant. But I'm not sure why because he seemed very happy to see me initially.

For example, earlier this year we saw each other for the first time in decades and I was clearly able to identify in his behavior appropriate levels of excitement, happiness, nervousness, interest, and he clearly waited with bated breath when he asked me if he was going to see me again. And displayed obvious relief when I said yes. Plus he called me an hour after I was on my way home to see how I was doing.

We texted constantly throughout the days, and many late nights, for months, in addition to some phone calls, and a few more visits in person.

Then something very traumatic and life changing happened to him. He reached out to me immediately after he found out. He called to tell me what happened. And he said he wanted me to be a part of his life.
Then about a week later he said he was going to move close to where I live so we could be together more often. He did actually start the process of moving. Then he had a serious health issue he was hospitalized for, and then recovery time. We saw each other three more times and as I said, he had acted glad to be together, but then became strange and distant at the goodbye stage.

And now, he no longer talks about getting together. He will respond to my texts almost immediately, and he did say that I could call him whenever I want to. But he hasn't called me since the last time we got together.
I make it clear that I miss him and want to see him. I asked him in mid November if we were going to see each other in December and he responded Yes, I want to see you again soon.
Yet he never brings it up.

So, I don't have a clue what has caused the change in his behavior, because he says he wants to continue our relationship when I ask him. In fact I have asked him so many times if he wants to quit seeing each other, that he said he doesn't know why I keep asking that so frequently, and to stop asking him that.

So I'm completely in the dark. And I have tried the direct (I thought) approach and asked him (in a text to make it easier) about some of the things he has said and done that I don't understand because his words and actions are contradictory. But he completely shied away from answering. Just ignored the whole thing. So I eventually changed the subject to something neutral and impersonal, and he responded to that right away.

There's a lot of backstory that I'm trying not to go into because this is already going to be too long of a post! But we were “first loves” at 18- 19 years old and circumstances beyond our control caused us to lose contact with each other and sent us in different directions.

He said he never got over me, and that he has been looking for me all these years. He even got a job near my hometown and went there regularly to check the local phone book (yeah, that was all we had back in the dark ages…) to see if I had moved back there.
So I felt like he meant it when he said he wants us to get re-established in our relationship.

But the crux of the problem for me is I don't know if he is just saying things he thinks he should be saying? In reality, is this some script he is trying on for size and now doesn't know how to get out of the situation?
Because he is clearly keeping us apart, physically anyway, right now.
So to me his earlier words and current actions are completely contradictory.

He is always there by phone or text, and has stated multiple times that he doesn't want me to back off, or to give him more space.
Then why has he clearly put on the brakes with actual face to face encounters?
Why is he being so contradictory?

Does it sound like he is actually lying to me about wanting to continue this relationship, and I'm missing something?? Or does it sound like he means what he says but just needs to go slower than what he told me earlier? Has he had too many life changing events happen this year and is just overwhelmed with all of it? Does he just need time alone for some reason?
Or is he telling me something completely different from what I think, as a NT, and I am way off the mark?
Maybe it's the physical part of it that confuses him? Maybe he doesn't understand why he doesn't feel some dramatic response after carrying a torch for me all these decades, hence he's not sure if he really does feel anything special for me at all?
Does it sound like he is actually trying to get me to leave him alone even though he gets extremely irritated with me when I ask him if he wants me to??
So confused here!!

Also, I would like to know what everyone thinks about the “aspies aren't able to lie” vs. “Yes they can and do so very well” stuff that I mentioned earlier.

Sorry for the multiple questions buried in all of this, and also if it's terribly confusing to read.
But I am terribly confused about all of this as well!
My profuse thanks for anyone brave enough to wade through this and offer any insight into any part of his behavior

The Aspies can't lie thing is certainly wrong. And they can be manipulative. They are in fact subject to all the foibles NTs are. There are autistic tendencies with HFAs but not all have them all or to the same degree.

Like anyone else, actions speak louder then words.

I suggest that you say all these things to him directly, ask him the questions about him that you want answers to. Tell him your perspective, tell him your guesses about his perspective, tell him how you feel and what you want and need, tell him all the things you are confused about and what you would like to know about him. Only he actually has the answers.

We can only guess at/formulate theories about his perspective and feelings and the motviations and meanings behind the things he says and does, as you have already done (very thoroughly).

The idea that autistic people can't lie or hide thoughts and feelings is a myth. Some probably can't, but many can (whether or not we think to do so, choose to do so, or are any good at it all vary from person to person).

Last edited:
The whole notion that "Aspies cannot tell a lie" is patently false. Anyone can tell a lie, create a story, or manufacture a life and some do it more convincingly than others. I am actually quite adept at fabricating stories and telling lies and there are times that I would rather just lie because facing the truth sucks. But, I just don't behave that way anymore. It's better to live a life as honestly and authentically as possible.

I am more worried about your behaviour than his.
Thank you for your response. It helps me to hear that. I realize that in many ways i am wrong, I just don't know what they are. If possible, could you please give me a specific example of what you are seeing as worrisome about my behavior?

The Aspies can't lie thing is certainly wrong. And they can be manipulative. They are in fact subject to all the foibles NTs are. There are autistic tendencies with HFAs but not all have them all or to the same degree.

Like anyone else, actions speak louder then words.
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your input.
Clearly I over think to death every single thing that happens because I'm not really sure if something is what it seems to be.
I am starting to realize that i am very insecure, and I guess I was looking for some kind of reassurance that he really did mean the things he said in spite of contradictory actions.
I guess if it's his actions that speak louder than words then I have my answer, don't i?

Thank you for your response. It helps me to hear that. I realize that in many ways i am wrong, I just don't know what they are. If possible, could you please give me a specific example of what you are seeing as worrisome about my behavior?

It was a terrible reminder of how NTs see us. They tend to see us as a curiosity at first and they like that at first.

Then, when they can't figure us out, they google a bit. Then they pick out certain "characteristics" that resonate with something negative they want to affirm.

Then they throw these at us or behind our back, like you are doing now. They research us as a whole instead of coming to us and asking.

But Aspies are all very different. If you have met one Aspie------then you've met ONE Aspie.

We are more unlike one another than alike, but those few things that people see and judge us by and diagnose us by are just little, tiny vapors.

The other point I would like to say is that you do not even know if he HAS Aspergers. People are now slinging this around to odd people. "You are autistic!" "He's just an Aspie....." And people believe it.

First, he has to be diagnoses and that is his choice. I cannot even begin to tell you anything him at all. But I can say that your post was exactly the same as a hundred other interactions we've had with NTs. And it was troubling to me.

Thank you for allowing me to expand my answer. I do hope you stick around and maybe one day you will be an ally of ours and teach us ways to communicate better to NTs as well. It's a two way street. :)

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your input.
Clearly I over think to death every single thing that happens because I'm not really sure if something is what it seems to be.
I am starting to realize that i am very insecure, and I guess I was looking for some kind of reassurance that he really did mean the things he said in spite of contradictory actions.
I guess if it's his actions that speak louder than words then I have my answer, don't i?

What I would suggest is let things go the way they will. It probably doesn't help asking for reassurance repeatedly. Most people need some time and space. People with autism often need more. It might be that, or it might be him pulling away. No way for us to know.

I can’t read all that. Can you just ask a question?
Sorry about that! I thought having the details would help. Like having the right pieces of a puzzle. I honestly didn't set out to be so confusing,

In a nutshell I was wondering if anyone recognized his behavior from their own relationship experiences? And if anyone could shed any light on what looks to me like contradictory words and actions in the examples I gave?

This assumes that you are speaking the same language in the first place. Not all behaviors automatically mean the same thing to/for everyone.

Things can be lost in translation, too. (Random, made-up example: ) I might say I want to spend more time with someone; To me "more time" might mean seeing them once or twice a month, while to the other person it means seeing them at least once or twice a week.

Different people can have different reasons for their actions, and in some cases the same set of words can have different specific meanings depending on who is speaking, which is why I think you have to ask him directly and then make up your own mind.

Consider your own wants and needs, though. If he means everything he says but his idea of "spending more time together" is different than yours, of if his idea of a serious and committed relationship looks (in practice) different than yours (for example if he needs more space and is less comfortable with physical affection), or if he wants exactly what you want and just isn't capable of doing it, are you okay with that? It's okay to not be okay with it. It doesn't mean either of you are doing anything wrong, if your expectations and needs are not compatible.

I suggest that you say all these things to him directly, ask him the questions about him that you want answers to. Tell him your perspective, tell him your guesses about his perspective, tell him how you feel and what you want and need, tell him all the things you are confused about and what you would like to know about him. Only he actually has the answers.

We can only guess at/formulate theories about his perspective and feelings and the motviations and meanings behind the things he says and does, as you have already done (very thoroughly).

The idea that autistic people can't lie or hide thoughts and feelings is a myth. Some probably can't, but many can (whether or not we think to do so, choose to do so, or are any good at it all vary from person to person).
Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my questions.
I had tried to explain to him a couple of times via text, thinking that would be better for him than face to face, that I was confused about his actions.
But I'm thinking I must have not been communicating myself in the right way. Hence he didn't realize that I was asking him to explain, and he may have even thought I was criticizing.
I probably just made a big mess out of the whole thing.
I guess i should just leave him alone and if he does in fact want to pursue this relationship, then hopefully I will be able to see that.

But I'm thinking I must have not been communicating myself in the right way. Hence he didn't realize that I was asking him to explain, and he may have even thought I was criticizing.

I wouldn't assume the lack of communication is your fault.

If you ever choose to try to talk to him again, I suggest asking him direct, specific, concrete questions like, "You say you want to spend more time with me, what does that look like to you? To me that looks like [whatever it looks like, "sitting together in person once a week" or something]. Would you like to [get together in person once a week, or whatever the case may be], would you be able to do that?"

In any case, I hope it all works out.

The whole notion that "Aspies cannot tell a lie" is patently false. Anyone can tell a lie, create a story, or manufacture a life and some do it more convincingly than others. I am actually quite adept at fabricating stories and telling lies and there are times that I would rather just lie because facing the truth sucks. But, I just don't behave that way anymore. It's better to live a life as honestly and authentically as possible.
Thank you. I agree with you that it's better to live a life as honestly and authentically as possible.
I guess that is why I am always trying to drill down to the core of everything, to make sure it's real, and true.
But i guess that doesn't always happen, that I get the real truth. Circumstances change, and people change.
My trying to always get "the truth" is no guarantee that it's written in stone and won't change though.
Ridiculous of me to think that way, but guess I am just trying to find something that works for me, to help me handle the uncertainties of life that i find so distressing.

I wouldn't assume the lack of communication is your fault.

If you ever choose to try to talk to him again, I suggest asking him direct, specific, concrete questions like, "You say you want to spend more time with me, what does that look like to you? To me that looks like [whatever it looks like, "sitting together in person once a week" or something]. Would you like to [get together in person once a week, or whatever the case may be], would you be able to do that?"

In any case, I hope it all works out.
Your response just reminded me of a time that I was asking him multiple questions about a completely different topic we were discussing.
He finally said: I will try to answer your questions, but only if you can list them separately on their own, in order.
That was pretty specific and concrete direction for me wasn't it?
I failed to see that the same approach would apply to any questions i had for him, basic or personal.
Thank you for reminding me about ways to do that specifically, I appreciate it very much.

It was a terrible reminder of how NTs see us. They tend to see us as a curiosity at first and they like that at first.

Then, when they can't figure us out, they google a bit. Then they pick out certain "characteristics" that resonate with something negative they want to affirm.

Then they throw these at us or behind our back, like you are doing now. They research us as a whole instead of coming to us and asking.

But Aspies are all very different. If you have met one Aspie------then you've met ONE Aspie.

We are more unlike one another than alike, but those few things that people see and judge us by and diagnose us by are just little, tiny vapors.

The other point I would like to say is that you do not even know if he HAS Aspergers. People are now slinging this around to odd people. "You are autistic!" "He's just an Aspie....." And people believe it.

First, he has to be diagnoses and that is his choice. I cannot even begin to tell you anything him at all. But I can say that your post was exactly the same as a hundred other interactions we've had with NTs. And it was troubling to me.

Thank you for allowing me to expand my answer. I do hope you stick around and maybe one day you will be an ally of ours and teach us ways to communicate better to NTs as well. It's a two way street. :)
Thanks for explaining that to me. I appreciate your candor.
While I was writing my original post, there was a faint red blinking light in a corner of my brain warning me that I was probably going to sound insulting and insensitive, but i charged into it anyway. So typical.
I am grateful for the insight you have shared with me. It has given me some things to think about.
And if I can ever help in any small way with ideas for better communication with a NT, I'm all for it

Aspies can't lie? Wrong, wrong and did I mention, wrong?! OK some of us, myself included, are too honest for our own good, but incapable of lying?

Aspies can't lie? Wrong, wrong and did I mention, wrong?! OK some of us, myself included, are too honest for our own good, but incapable of lying?
Thank you for that.
I'm starting to absorb the fact that there's a lot of baloney "out there" and I must learn to be more discerning about the source.
If i come across that article again I am going to make a note of the site and author, and steer clear of any other "information" that they are sharing...

I think you're confusing a few things. People with Autism have a hard time reading people's emotions and behavior. This of course includes figuring out if someone is lying. It's as if everyone watches tv with audio but for you the sound is turned off so you have to make due with subtitles instead.

A neurological explanation for this lack of being able to process other people's emotions and behavior is a problem with self monitoring and self awareness. We mostly live inside our heads because we don't have this magical brain piece that let's us take a few steps back and look at ourselves. You also need this same brain piece to understand other people.

My advice is to foster a little bit of paranoia. What that does is train us to activate the parts in our brain that are underdeveloped. Being a little suspicious all the time I think helps and is justified because people simply aren't honest most of the time. That doesn't mean they have bad intentions either.

It takes time and effort but I think it's doable.

New Threads

Top Bottom