• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety over my voice is damaging my job performance.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
At my PT job, I am sometimes expected to reach out to my employer’s clients by making phone calls. The thing about that is I have trouble with vocal modulation, and I am painfully aware that many people falsely assume I live with severe intellectual disabilities the first time they hear me speak. That has led to me being irresponsible and putting off making some of these calls, and the boss has noticed. Now is make or break time. Either I get over this anxiety now, or my hours will get cut in half.

I hate having my voice. If only I could talk like a normal person, this would be a non-issue.

This sounds tough for you. Normality is a bell curve as you know, so your voice is normal, just part of a range of voices. Lots of voices are distinctive. It sounds like you have had upsetting feedback about the way you speak, from what you say? Was this from people you respect?

Some aspects of how we are are hard to change, but also I am wondering if this is the only issue, as it's fairly normal for people with Aspergers or autism to find cold-calling or making contact with others difficult or to prefer not to do so, it may be quite a challenge to have that task as part of your job, I would think.

My voice has always been made fun of so I'm self-conscious about mine, too, but my problem isn't to the extent that yours is and isn't due to modulation, just how it sounds.

I'm guessing you've done everything you can to improve it already?

Would it help if at the beginning of the phone call you said something like,"Please excuse how I sound, I have a cold",
or an allergy, or been to the dentist...
Not every call, just when you are extra anxious. Just knowing you have an explanation at the ready, might ease the anxiety enough that you can make your phone calls.
I know lying is wrong but so is people's prejudices about our voices.

Perhaps you could work with a voice therapist? Or sit down with a good friend and ask them for feedback on your conversational techniques or and lack of them. Do you have any problem with your ears? Sometimes if we can't hear what we project , we may come across as different. This can be resolved and it may take a little time. Do you have a written sheet of what you should start the conversations with, like a cheat sheet? This will keep you on track.

"and I am painfully aware that many people falsely assume I live with severe intellectual disabilities the first time they hear me speak.

Questions:

1. How do you know that they make this assumption? Have they told you? How often have they told you?

2. If you have heard people outright say that they think you have disabilities.... how are you sure it's because of your voice? Have they told you that as well?

3. If they have told you these two things... how was it phrased? How direct was it?

My point is, one of the big traits of those on the spectrum is distorted perception. Most of us have sensory issues, communication issues, and so on... it's inevitable that distortion of perception follows. We are *not* good at seeing what others see. We ARE good at seeing nonexistent things, however, which is rather unfortunate. But also... we're good at thinking people are assuming things... without realizing it's US doing the assuming.

Something I've learned over a very long time is to question everything. Including what we THINK we know. Hell, if you're thinking of responding with something like "Of COURSE I know, because X happened!".... even analyze that. Because that could prove wrong as well. Analyze the situation and it's details when in a neutral emotional state with no distractions, and go from there. Do it repeatedly. DONT try to analyze it in a "woe is me" state, or an "I cant deal with it" state. That's a mistake alot of people make. Do it correctly, and you can start working towards a solution to whatever the core problem actually is. It is not easy however.

Lastly, if you want to increase the chance that they DONT notice or think of it, simply speak with alot of confidence. Go in sounding nervous/scared/paranoid, and, well... you have a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone puts alot of data into their voices without being aware of it. And I do mean "alot". Sounding nervous or whatever really stands out.

Questions:

1. How do you know that they make this assumption? Have they told you? How often have they told you?

2. If you have heard people outright say that they think you have disabilities.... how are you sure it's because of your voice? Have they told you that as well?

3. If they have told you these two things... how was it phrased? How direct was it?

I have heard other people in my 12 step fellowship tell me that my voice does not give a good first impression, and that they had no idea that I did not have an intellectual disability until they got to know me better. It really was that direct a couple of times. I have also heard people describe my voice as being monotone.

I have heard other people in my 12 step fellowship tell me that my voice does not give a good first impression, and that they had no idea that I did not have an intellectual disability until they got to know me better. It really was that direct a couple of times. I have also heard people describe my voice as being monotone.

That still doesnt answer a particular question though: How do you know it was your VOICE giving them that impression? People... particularly NTs... dont just read your voice. In fact, most arent very good at that part. Facial and body language is the first thing noticed and the bit most heavily processed.

Heck, the fact that you mention "monotone" rather says to me that it ISNT your voice. Lots of people speak in monotone, particularly those in very professional settings. "Monotone" is not a traditional indicator of mental... anything. Instead, it's an indicator of someone who is very "serious". Which would, actually, be beneficial to you, if you must be calling people as part of your job. If someone actually thinks there's a mental disability because of that... then it's not you who has the issue. "voice doesnt give a good first impression" also doesnt count. That, in fact, is likely the bit about lacking confidence that I mentioned earlier. When you hear interviewers say something like that, that's almost always what they mean, for instance.

But also... how do you know about what people OUTSIDE of this fellowship thing think? The fact that it's coming from a specific group, and not random individuals from all over the place, is itself quite suspicious. Note that, particularly among groups, ideas spread even if they dont make sense. If someone thinks that of you... just one person... and they start telling others that (others who previously had no impressions either way) behind your back, or sometimes right in front of you, suddenly those people who were told so will also "hear" it, or "remember" hearing it. It can even happen if the original person doesnt ACTUALLY think that, but simply lies. It's not that they (the others it spreads to) are ACTUALLY hearing it in your voice: it's that their mind has now registered that they're SUPPOSED to hear it. Yes, this is bloody stupid. But people do this all the time. I've always found it to be more than a little irritating to watch groups of otherwise smart people do this.

That's why I mention the impressions of random, non-connected individuals. That effect cannot be present, in that case.

Other than that though... just stop worrying about it. Worry about it too much, and you'll start actually inserting it into your voice. You wont do it on purpose, obviously... but it can happen that way anyway. "Self fulfilling prophecy". Actually, better than that... dont just stop worrying about it. Stop CARING about it. You have a job to do. It doesnt matter what others think, so long as the job gets done. The more you get the job done successfully, and the more you realize how well you're doing at it, the more your confidence will rise. And the less this problem will be present.

Anyway, that's all out of me on this one. I dont have too much time for forum-going currently, so... yeah, that's enough. Good luck to you, sir. I hope it all goes well.

At my PT job, I am sometimes expected to reach out to my employer’s clients by making phone calls. The thing about that is I have trouble with vocal modulation, and I am painfully aware that many people falsely assume I live with severe intellectual disabilities the first time they hear me speak. That has led to me being irresponsible and putting off making some of these calls, and the boss has noticed. Now is make or break time. Either I get over this anxiety now, or my hours will get cut in half.

I hate having my voice. If only I could talk like a normal person, this would be a non-issue.
One thing to do smile what I mean a lot of the lack of modulation Will come from stress, I actually mean a grimace smile, I found when I do this the tension in my neck goes because I think the smile pulls up the muscles in the neck ,you probably know that actors have a problem with their voices and the rest of the body coming from a panic attack .
Try !reading out loud from a non-thought-provoking book !so it doesn't feel like punishment or singing it activates a different part of the brain.

Does it matter what the clients think? If your boss thinks you are capable of making the calls, maybe just have faith that that he/she is happy enough with your voice making the calls :).
Longer term, if your voice concerns you that much, maybe you could see a speech therapist?

I lurk on a rather notorious "troll forum" (know your enemies and etc) and they talk about what they call "autistic cadence", that means that the voices of autistics tend to have a certain rhythm and sound to them, which is sometimes compared to accents in Australia and/or New Zealand, you know that extremely "twangy" sound that in those places originates in the fact that the settlers were prisoners and other bottom of the barrel poor people in England. I myself have noticed that what I hear in my head as I speak is not the same voice as others hear. If you are performing poorly at telemarketing because people think you are severely intellectually disabled due to your voice, maybe you can ask your boss to assign you elsewhere?

New Threads

Top Bottom