• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another, “Uncertain If...” New Guy

translucent_jon

TLDR:Hi, new. Potentially on the spectrum, (but unsure) so ramble-y.

I’ve been flirting with joining for the past few days but finally took the leap. I’m in the phase where i’m “Self diagnosed” as on the spectrum, though my wife suggested the possibility who knows how long ago (or how serious she was). Unsure whether I intend to follow up for official diagnosis. Due to cost and it’s limited effect on me personally there is no sense of immediacy to that.

Things have become more noticeable in the last 2 years roughly that point toward the potential that I might be autistic. I do have some experience with forums so that is helpful in making me feel a little more comfortable already.

Autism seems to ring several bells for me in regard to life experience. I’ll leave the intro at that for now because I’m not sure what is tangential or not right now.

upload_2020-8-14_12-34-6.png

Hi and welcome!

Your story is very common, a lot of people are "self-identified", or identified by their spouses or family. I was spotted when my son was diagnosed.

It can be a mixed bag in the beginning - something between shock and all kind of "now that makes perfect sense" moments. I hope you find answers if that's what you're looking for or just some good company, there are a lot of really knowledgeable and nice people here :)

Hi and welcome, i hope you enjoy this site, connect with members and enjoy posting, commenting (or not) and a friendly, accepting place to hang out.

Hi and welcome!

Your story is very common, a lot of people are "self-identified", or identified by their spouses or family. I was spotted when my son was diagnosed.

It can be a mixed bag in the beginning - something between shock and all kind of "now that makes perfect sense" moments. I hope you find answers if that's what you're looking for or just some good company, there are a lot of really knowledgeable and nice people here :)
Thanks for the welcome. I’m at a point where either way, it’s just nice to be able to talk openly and that there is someone around that likely understands.

I was there too, I know it's quite common for high-functioning autism/asperger's to go un-diagnosed... Usually because you've worked and functioned for years...

I have worked my entire life, only got an official diagnosis (free through a gov't agency) when I became unemployed back in January, I have HFA Level 1, which is the highest functioning... On the plus side I am now eligible for college funding, whenever I can attend college, blame Covid for that...

I was there too, I know it's quite common for high-functioning autism/asperger's to go un-diagnosed... Usually because you've worked and functioned for years...

I have worked my entire life, only got an official diagnosis (free through a gov't agency) when I became unemployed back in January, I have HFA Level 1, which is the highest functioning... On the plus side I am now eligible for college funding, whenever I can attend college, blame Covid for that...
I think burnout coupled with a conveniently timed YouTube rabbit hole of information led to me even seriously considering the possibility. I’m at the stage where, as often as I tell myself that autism/aspergers makes more sense than anything else in the world to explain who I am, and “you’re just a normal guy who really needs to talk to somebody”. So it’s a fun ride right now lol.

Hopefully all of this gets sorted so you can use the funding. I wonder if my test score would still help get me into my community college 12/13 years later...

Hi and welcome,
You are among friends here and folks a friendly in here.

Hang around a bit and you will find out more about us, and perhaps yourself too.

Wow, you sound just like me, only a week later. Would be interesting to aggregate these specific late detection posts by month. Is there an awareness aspect out there that sometimes raises awareness to points that different parts of the population awaken, and end up here. Amy Schumer for example.

Wow, you sound just like me, only a week later. Would be interesting to aggregate these specific late detection posts by month. Is there an awareness aspect out there that sometimes raises awareness to points that different parts of the population awaken, and end up here. Amy Schumer for example.
I had noticed the Schumer ads, they reminded me of the time my wife mentioned autism in a way that wasn’t blunt enough for me to understand how serious she intended at least a year ago.

Someone I do watch on YouTube happened to be discussing anxiety recently and it seemed familiar but not quite encompassing enough to describe how I’ve always felt. Then the algorithm eventually brought me to the concept of masking, masking to ASD, ASD to online “likelihood tests”, intriguing results of those tests to somewhere I felt I could talk to somebody that might relate (Here?)

TLDR: Blame the very beginning of my serious consideration on the MarioMaker and Speedrunning community (I’d feel weird mentioning a name openly and directly)

Welcome! I recall reading somewhere that of those who seek a diagnosis, that the majority do end up getting one. May your journey be rewarding, no matter the path you choose :)

My wife is pretty bang on at picking up where my blind spots.

While it is theoretically possible that I could be on the spectrum, it is more likely and more natural that I am heavily influenced by the ADHD I have denied, ignored, and suppressed for close to 30 years. Things compounded on me and I hit a breaking point, the perfect circumstances where there to misunderstand myself just enough to get rid of the more viable option too shortly.

Anyway, sorry for the false alarm guys. Treating myself as somebody with ADHD who has been in denial and suppression for their whole life who needed to confront it and start the work appears to be the correct way to see myself today. I’m getting what I need.

Is it too awkward for me to come visit the site every so often? I think I recall reading that ADHD is neuro-divergent as well. Anyway, thank you to everyone for the support and the welcome and I’ve had a good few conversations here.

New Threads

Top Bottom