• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another photography documentary (depressing?)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Just saw a documentary about Martha Cooper tonight, makes me feel like I've accomplished nothing, which is pretty much the case...

But on another topic related to the film, she was there in New York City in the late 1970's photographing the early hip hop era, and also photographing the New York graffiti of that era along with getting to know the graffiti artists... She is clearly an outsider artist, but who has tremendous exposure within certain communities

So, yes, she was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, back in the film camera era when few if any other people were photographing hip hop or graffiti... Then in the documentary she said something about present day and smart phones, how virtually every street level music performance has at least one person doing a video or just taking photos... Is it less special today? She is now sitting on truly historical photos of a music genre (hip hop) that was just starting up, I would almost kill for an opportunity like that, alas I live in a far less active city than NYC, and what new opportunities even exist anymore like that... A book has been published about those photos of hip hop and New York graffiti

It leaves me thinking, how does someone in the digital era really stand out and get noticed? I think it is much harder now, I sometimes feel like I will always be anonymous, no one pays much attention even now... Like everything else in life, I feel like I live in hinterland...

Anyway, relevant links, the Instagram link is public...

Login • Instagram

Martha Cooper - Wikipedia

It leaves me thinking, how does someone in the digital era really stand out and get noticed?
Ideally, I think it will be lighting & composition that separates the men from the boys.

Even though my interest is drawing, when I was a teen, I studied how to make my own comics. That medium drew heavily on the film industry. It is like story-boarding on steroids. Composition makes a big difference.

Ultimately the biggest barrier to sucess you will ever face is the idea that you are in competition with everyone else. Immediately you have set yourself up to fail because, no matter your talent, or the art you create, you will always be moving the bar.

Martha Cooper wasn't just "in the right place at the right time", she was in the right mind. Your real challenge will be to find the right mind.

Martha Cooper didn't knowingly set out to document an emerging art. She set out to document the marginalinalized fringe of everyday life. She was photographing street scenes so ubiquitous to her surroundings that most people simply ignored them.

Finally, I want to tell you about my own experience with "right mind". About 20 years ago handmade soap was a trendy new comer at craft fairs and farmers markets. There was always someone selling soap. Humble soap. I was a stay at home mom with an income literally just dollars over the limit for recieving aid but far too low to meet the bills. I decide to try soap as a side gig too. But I needed the "hobby income" to pay so I doubled the going price. Sure my family was supportive, but told me my price was too high and I would fail. I did not fail. I sold out at my shows even though I had heavy competition at each event. Can you imagine? $1.00 for soap at the supermarket, $2.50 for xyz handmade soap or $5.00 for my soap. The chutzpah!

Just be yourself. Forget "the competition". That is a distraction. You aren't in competition with everyone else. You are in competition with your mind.

Martha Cooper wasn't just "in the right place at the right time", she was in the right mind. Your real challenge will be to find the right mind.

Martha Cooper didn't knowingly set out to document an emerging art. She set out to document the marginalinalized fringe of everyday life. She was photographing street scenes so ubiquitous to her surroundings that most people simply ignored them.

I'm aware of that, but I also feel that it's harder (in general) to get ahead in this new digital era, as per my observation of her one quote...

I still just keep choosing to pursue my passion, her dedication is amazing!

New Threads

Top Bottom