• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another Older New Member

rse92

At the urging of my (second) wife, I had a complete neuropsychological evaluation last fall at the age of 60, at which time I was diagnosed with ASD. I was not surprised.

I still don’t know if I wish I knew earlier in life. In the end I have had a pretty successful career -- with significant bumps along the way -- having pushed through the autistic aspects of my personality to get there. If anything, there are personality traits which have made me more effective. I might have been (even more) self-conscious along the way if I received a diagnosis at 20 when I was just getting started. I know in my heart there are ASD folks in my profession, but I have come to find that even in 2021 there is almost no recognition of and support for neurodiverse persons and very, very few who are out as autistic. This is in a profession which has become far more open minded about addressing mental health, substance abuse, and diversity issues.

I have one failed marriage and my second is a work in progress, though it has improved with my acceptance of my ASD diagnosis. My first marriage is really the only phase of my life where I regret not knowing. It also resulted in severe depression and ultimately hitting rock bottom before I got up and fixed my life.

I was fortunate growing up in that I had a large family with five younger brothers, so that fostered my socialization skills. I also had a keen interest in, and aptitude for, participating in sports, which is a meritocracy in and of itself furthering and diversifying my socialization capabilities. I heard someone say you can be autistic and still be extroverted. I do believe I have had extroverted periods in my life, particularly college. The issue is the hard work and energy that goes into establishing and maintaining friendships and relationships, things that come naturally to neurotypical folks.

My autism will not define me, even if it does explain things. I do feel as though after I retire, I would like to become an advocate for the neurotypical in my profession.

2af5696b86e8f3877406745f9c885006.png

If we have more successful people advocating for us, then we will find more acceptance.

Most of us have suffered so much that the thought of coming out scares the bejesus out of us.

If more accomplished people come out, this will increase awareness and acceptance.

Welcome, perhaps you will share how you stepped around these bumps.

I am a introvert normally get me talking at a party when I get comfortable turn extroverted. do not drink so thats not the reason. Can turn into the most interesting person there under the right circumstance.

Welcome to the forums... 63 yrs here. Great that you have a supportive spouse.

@Ronald Zeeman That which you mentioned an be the turn of events for myself when at a social. However the more extroverted I get, the more missteps can take place.

Thats why MARIE is AT MY SIDE she is very protective of me. My dad was a real extrovert also had four brothers and a sister that really helps. suspect many on here come from small families.

Welcome to the Forums! I am 63, married and four years from retirement. I was diagnosed with ASD at age 61.

Hi. I am just figuring out I am probably an aspie at 53. It is interesting that you note that an earlier diagnosis might not have helped. For myself I think my habits may have been a big part of my early life confusion but, in a way, by not having a diagnosis to "blame" forced me into developing coping strategies I might not have otherwise.

Welcome! Glad you have a supportive spouse. Having a supportive cheerleader can be invaluable to those on the spectrum.

Blame does seem to be an unhappy part of human nature. The trick is not to "blame" your problems on autism. I read that Buddha said that the childish blame the other person, the experienced blame themselves, and the wise see no value in blame. (Buddha was obviously not a personal injury attorney.)

If I felt tired all the time and the doctor diagnosed me as having a condition that wasn't going away, that's an indicator of what kinds of compensatory and mitigating actions to take. Not an excuse for inaction but rather the knowledge of the obstacles that are in your way and maybe a cohort of people who encountered the same problems.

And not everyone can simply push through autism. Some have it worse than others.

OTOH, I think that not knowing why you don't fit in, are weird, and have few or no friends is a recipe for "God hates me!" thinking for a lot of people.

New Threads

Top Bottom